New member from Norway, soon to have a new truck!

DzlToy

Explorer
Hello and welcome

Is the truck pictured at the top of page one your truck or the model that is being constructed for you?

Can you provide dimensions of the living quarters portion of the vehicle (length, width and height and weight if known)

thanks

julius0377

Adventurer
Is the truck pictured at the top of page one your truck or the model that is being constructed for you?

All the images are of Bimobil's demonstration vehicles. I have ordered the same as the one in the first picture, with the number 1024 on the side of the door. (Outer apperance will be the same, with some small exceptons like windows, roof lights, etc.)

Can you provide dimensions of the living quarters portion of the vehicle (length, width and height and weight if known)

Interior dimensions of the cabin/box in metres are:
Length:4,72 metres
Width: 2,31 metres
Height: 1,96 metres
Weight of box with complete interior and fittings: 2,4 tonnes (approximate)

The weight of the box is deducted by taking the final weight of the Bimobil EX480, and subtracting the weight of a Mercedes 1018 4x4 chassis as this was the only spec I could quickly find online. This will be slightly off as the 1024 chassis has a larger engine, and may have some heavier axles. (Should not be more than a couple of hundre kilos, at most.)

Here is the interior layout with measurements. The drawing is however slightly outdated, as the models now have a larger kitchen area, a different layout of the wardrobe, as well as a slightly shorter bench on the right side of the dining area.

grundriss_1_l.jpg

Last edited:

aschiele

I like this vehicle. How is the diesel consumption on this unit? What mpg or km/l do you expect to get from this unit on the real life?
Thanks for sharing. :coffeedrink:

julius0377

Adventurer
Hard to say, the tires and permanent 4x4 will have a negative effect, as well as the relatively low payload will be positive for this vehicle. I got figures from dealers and truckers ranging from 15 mpg for older 2007 atego trucks to 36 mpg for more modern ones. I'm guessing it will end up in the 22-25 mpg range for real world use.

With a tank of 380 litres, I expect to be able to travel 3000+ kilometres before filling up. Thats about from the border of California to the border of Georgia on one tank... The adblue consumption is about 4 % of the diesel consumption, so it will use about 15 litres of adblue pr. 380 litres of diesel (15 litres pr. 3000 km)

aschiele

:Wow1:I think you are being too optimistic with the diesel mileage. You are guessing a 22-25 mpg. I will suppose you are using imperial gallon. So 22-25mpg (imp) is equivalent to 18.32-20.82 mpg(us) 12.84-11.3 l/100km 7.78-8.85 km/lt.
So far, what I have heard about the Atego diesel mileage is in the range of 9.91-14.12 mpg(imp) 8.25-11.76 mpg(us) 28.5-20 l/100km 3,5-5,0 km/lt.
So, if you have a diesel tank of 380 liters you would have an autonomy range of 1330-1900 kilometers.

The latter is correct, 22-25 mpg exists only in your imagination.
I get 9mi/US gal (11mi/imp gal) with my 05 Unimog U500, 12000kg.

Charlie

DzlToy

Explorer
8 - 12 MPG (US) seems much more realistic with that truck.... I was wondering about the 20's and 30's for MPG, even imperial....

If its that good, I need an Atego quick ;-)

julius0377

Adventurer
I suppose you are all correct that it's very optimistic. I'd be happy at around 14-15 mpg, okay at 12, a bit dissappointed if its at or below 10, as that is very far from what I have been led to believe of the newer ategos. I'm looking to be dissapointed I guess!

However the truckers report about 10 mpg with the new Actros trucks of the largest kind, that have engines almost twice the size and haul 3-4 times the weight. I'm led to believe a lot has happened to diesel consumption from a 2007 to a 2013 Atego, and it's going to be exciting what it really is.

Last edited:
I suppose you are all correct that it's very optimistic. I'd be happy at around 14-15 mpg, okay at 12, a bit dissappointed if its at or below 10, as that is very far from what I have been led to believe of the newer ategos. I'm looking to be dissapointed I guess!

However the truckers report about 10 mpg with the new Actros trucks of the largest kind, that have engines almost twice the size and haul 3-4 times the weight. I'm led to believe a lot has happened to diesel consumption from a 2007 to a 2013 Atego, and it's going to be exciting what it really is.

From what I read "a lot" is about 4-5%, due to advanced timing which increases efficiency and NOx, but the latter is taken care of with the urea.
I need to change the injection timing on my 05 U500 from 14 deg BTDC to 19 deg!
As mentioned it only gets about 11mi/imp gal, but that is with enormous tires, portal gearboxes in the hubs, 4.36 (5.922 x 0.736) final drive ratio (1945 rpm@97kph), ~12000kg and two spare tires on the roof.

Charlie

Last edited:

Trouble

Thank you!

As someone who has just decided to address the work-life balance before it's too late(!) and to start seeing less-travelled parts of the World , I am grateful for the information you all provide from personal experience.

Glossy brochures and videos make it too easy to transport oneself to an idyllic scenario from which to make unrealistic decisions. Forums such as this, give newcomers an opportunity to experience reality through others and to increase one's knowledge base.

I am particularly grateful to "New Member from Norway" for sharing his decision making process and for those of you who have provided such useful exchanges.

As you will have guessed, I am also new to Forums, so please excuse any errors I have made. I aim to improve and hope, in time, I shall be able to contribute positively.

Thank you.

julius0377

Adventurer
Build/Delivery delay :(

A quick update on the Bimobil EX480... we will have to wait approximately 2 more months for delivery.

This is due to an error with the build time on the chassis from Mercedes. They have started producing the new Atego, and this may have contributed, we are awaiting a more in depth answer as to the exact cause of the delay.

The new Atego has an Euro 6 spec engine, and as far as I can see the introdution of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is the main new technology, along with a much higher pressure in the diesel system. I would prefer to still get the old Atego, and we are working on this. I will be back with further information as we get it from Bimobil/Mercedes.

Welcome to the forum Trouble!

Charlie

Hi Julius. Is the new Atego introducing a NO AD- Blue technology like MAN truck? It will be Euro VI compliant just with an EGR? If so it's a huge advantage not to have AD Blue...no extra tank...

Ciao,Charlie

Hi Julius. Is the new Atego introducing a NO AD- Blue technology like MAN truck? It will be Euro VI compliant just with an EGR? If so it's a huge advantage not to have AD Blue...no extra tank...

Ciao,Charlie

I don't believe anyone, even MAN, can meet Euro VI without AdBlue.
MAN met Euro V without AdBlue, but at the price of heavy EGR, which can shorten engine life expectancy and definitely degrades lube oil faster. Also at the price of much more DPF regeration to burn out soot buildup.

Charlie (the other one)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior