New member from Norway, soon to have a new truck!

aschiele

Congratulations Julius!. Please tell us more details about your truck. Is it a comfortable vehicle when you drive it?, is EURO VI ? More pics please. :coffeedrink:

julius0377

Adventurer
Some more pics

Here are some more pics of the truck (while parked at the in laws.)

It's quite high and wide, so seems very large, but it's not so long (about 6,9 metres). I street park it where I live and this seems to work well (garbage truck gets past without incident).

AJB_2577.jpg
AJB_2584.jpg
AJB_2585.jpg

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Here are some more pics of the truck (while parked at the in laws.)
It's quite high and wide, so seems very large, but it's not so long (about 6,9 metres). I street park it where I live and this seems to work well (garbage truck gets past without incident).
It looks great! I sure wish that was parked next door to me :Wow1:

Heering80

Hi Julius,

I can see some similarities between our trucks. They are both MBs and in a tight parking space, but that's it :) Our neighbor probably hates us for this project.

Riku

Attachments

• 406999743.815834.jpg
    406999743.815834.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 72

DzlToy

Explorer
I read back through all posts and did not see this information, so I will ask now:

Why did you choose such an agressive tire if 80-90% of your travel is projected to be on road?

What size are the tires and wheels?

Thanks

julius0377

Adventurer
What size are the tires and wheels?
365/80 R20 on 11 inch wide wheels.

Why did you choose such an agressive tire if 80-90% of your travel is projected to be on road?
The Atego 4x4 is delivered with 20 inch semi drop steel wheels as standard, changing to 22,5 inch wheels is costly involving a lot of parts. The tire options for 20 inch wheels in 11 inch width are very limited, and most manufacturers only have MPT variants with coarse "mud" thread patterns.

I'm still searching for a tire from a reputable manufacturer with M+S markings (Norwegian Law requirement) and the approximate rolling diameter of a 365/80 R20 with a more road/asphalt friendly tire pattern, any info would be appreciated. (Also a change to 22,5 inch wheels if available in the right bolt pattern and inpress would be good, but no such luck so far…)

Speed category also factors in, the XZL and MPT81 tyres are both 110km/h approved, nokian mpt (that looks to be a touch more "friendly") are 90km/h.

Last edited:
As far as XZLs are concerned, I got over 90000 km out of my 395/85R20 XZLs on my 12000kg U500 camper, so I'm happy with that. The was a lot of tread left when I changed them, about 6-8mm.

Charlie

julius0377

Adventurer
As far as XZLs are concerned, I got over 90000 km out of my 395/85R20 XZLs on my 12000kg U500 camper, so I'm happy with that. The was a lot of tread left when I changed them, about 6-8mm.

Charlie

How do/did you find the large XZL tires, did you balance them in any way? Or did you live with the steering wobble and rear shifts?

I have balanced mine recently and they showed a marked improvement. The "best" tire needed only 150 gr of weights, but the worst needed a whopping 1,2 kg of weights. I'm considering returning it as a faulty production as it's a lot out of balance, but then again, the tires are quite heavy compared to "normal" truck tires.

MY first (factory) set were great (no balance weights) but my 2nd set (military surplus) need to run about 30-50km and get warm before the vibration settles out.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior