New member from Norway, soon to have a new truck!

julius0377

Adventurer
New Atego and trip to the Netherlands

Hi Julius. Is the new Atego introducing a NO AD- Blue technology like MAN truck? It will be Euro VI compliant just with an EGR? If so it's a huge advantage not to have AD Blue...no extra tank...

The new Atego is based on both ADBLUE and EGR to meet Euro 6, so for us looking at expedition rigs its a "worst/worst" scenario. It will though have the option of a 35 litre Adblue tank, instead of 25, so thats something...

Mercedes says the new Atego will have longer service life, so it may not be so bad. Adblue you will have to live with. Due to EGR I would change lube/oil more ofthen...

The old Atego can still be ordered, but it will not last long. There are also some brand new trucks with bare frames in the market, excellent for building on. There are even some brand new "0 km" EURO 2 and EURO 3 spec trucks available, built new in 2012 with "old" spec engines (don't ask me why, perhaps intended originally for military applications.) If you can manage to register something with an Euro2 or Euro3 configured engine, there are Ategos and Actros, as well as the most excellent Zetros. Check them out here: http://www.pktrucks.com/de/stock/all-brands/chassis-cabin/?search=result&axle=4x4&per_page=48

Please let me know when you will be here so I can check out your rig :Wow1:

As posted further up the thread, we have sadly got a delay on our rig, so it will not be finished until autum (august or september). Would have been happy to stop by tough!

DzlToy

Explorer
the simple solution to cleaner emissions with a diesel engine is to ad in an HHO system. The only "additive" is distilled water and the introduction of "brown's gas" into the system results in less particulate matter and NOx, as well as creating a more complete combustion. This was proven over 20 years ago when diesel emissions were not even an issue. The concept of killing fuel mileage or adding a bunch of garbage to any engine in order to reduce emissions is insane at best. If you reduce emissions by 50 percent but it takes 30 percent more fuel to drive a mile down the road, you havent accomplished much... Additionally, the idea of introducing hot, dirty exhaust into the intake (EGR) is the exact opposite of what a forced induction motor needs... It wants cool clean dense air to run most efficiently.. makes you wonder who is behind all of this nonsense...

Propane, NOS or CNG are also good additives to reduce emissions on diesel engines. They also have a cooling effect and can add power as well.

Last edited:

aschiele

Hi Julius
Just curious. How is the body attached to the chassis?. It seems to me that Bimobil do not use the pivot frame system.
Any news about your truck?

julius0377

Adventurer
Truck update and frame mounting

Hi Julius
Just curious. How is the body attached to the chassis?. It seems to me that Bimobil do not use the pivot frame system.
Any news about your truck?

The truck uses a frame on frame system for the mounting, useable with trucks that have flat frames. A very stable method where steel rails are resting on the chassis, and are held in place by guides and steel bolts with springs allowing for vertical movement at one or both ends of the rails/chassis. This method is invariably used by many if the "cheaper" manufacturers like Bimobil, Woelcke (who has a really exciting new "Autark" model expedition truck based on the fuso 4x4 out now at a great price) and Bocklet (though the latter delivers all kinds of mounting types.)

Advantages are typically lower costs, less stress on individual chassis points, less risk of (don't know the right description in English) the body swaying and this increasing of its own "harmonics" until something breaks (like bridges can.)

Some disadvantages are: somewhat less independent travel relative to chassis, not suitable for frames that are not flat, things can in rare circumstances get trapped between the rails (stones etc), and slightly heavier if using long rails, particularly steel.

My truck has a new delivery date in the end of September. The dealer is very understanding and is letting us borrow "an ordinary" yet very comfortable Hymer model camper while we wait. We are of course getting more and more exited as days to by!

aschiele

IMG_8522.jpg1.JPG
Bolts with springs seems to be a very efective method. I have seen a lot of german trucks in southamerica with this system and for sure I am going to use this system in my future truck.
I like this fuso canter but I do not like the after-treatment Euro 6. Anyway is a good option: A big body in a small truck with no more than 6500 kg. (14.444 lbs). Nice!. I wonder if the tires are 255/100r16.

Last edited:

julius0377

Adventurer
Video with short rail on rail chassis mount view

There is a good "walk through" type sales video of the Bimobil EX480 on youtube. At 31 seconds into the video there is a short clip of part of the rail on rail mounting system. It really is "stupid simple" as well as sturdy, cheap and functional. Alas only for flat chassis structures, so not useable on for example the Unimog U4000/U5000...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhF84lvjmCs

julius0377

Adventurer
Going to pick up the truck!

It's finally finished :wings:

I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go and pick it up, and will start a new thread on my experiences with it as soon as I have had it for a bit...

I't will take an unknown amount of time to get it registered locally (Norwegian registration authorities are notoriously strict), but fingers crossed for a quick and easy experience.

I'll wrap this thread up with how everything went with the factory and dealer etc, but first I'm going to drive :smiley_drive:

familyvan

Adventurer
Congratulations, thanks for sharing all that info. You have hit the nail on the head for me in terms of everything you have described. Having three kids and one more on the way, having seat belts in the cabin is perfect. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the completed truck. I hope you have many happy adventures in the new rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior