New montero owner

tete

Observer
1991 Mistsubishi Montero RS

I've always wanted a montero since high school. Back then a 91 montero was still considered the latest model. At least my freshman year.

Any how recently went camping, took the wife's mdx and ended up with two flats and a donut till I made it back to reasonable conditions and a tire shop. Knee jerk reaction, sell my commuter and buy and SUV. Found this thing with a mild 213k on it ( mild, yeah right ). Paid a cool 1400$ for it. Probably too much. It has AC. Passed emission with ease and overall runs good. Supposed engine rebuild at 190k and new trans as well. Carfax show major engine work performed. No leaks from the engine but there does seem to be a small leak from the trans that I will inspect soon. Probably over the weekend. The tires are complete ****. And the suspension is ****. Interior is probably 7/10. Passenger and back seat are 10/10. Floor 8/10 and driver seat has a tear in the left bolster like every old car does. Dash is ok but the tach is not working. Everything else works fine. Stereo is stock but total garbage. The windows are power as with the door locks but the switches need some replacing. Some are good some are bad. Headliner is perfect.

The body is straight w no accidents reported. No big dents or dings. All lights work.

At idle I can barely tell its running. Silky smooth. Then just gargles it's way down the road. Really smooth overall considering the condition if the suspension. Having AC in az is nice.

No check engine lights or anything. But I know they work because when the key half turn they do illuminate.

Here is what I have coming.

Tires: 31 x 10.5 x r15 kenda klevers.
New stereo. Went w a Bluetooth iPhone compatible wireless telephone mp3 unit thing.

New door speakers

---------------------------
List of things I need.
---------------------------
Suspension :
I was hoping I could use the shocks and struts from a newer model. Maybe pull offs. This I assume will be good for most daily task and some off road capabilities for my camping trips etc. please advise. I can't afford OME stuff.

Fix tranny leak.
Just gotta get under and see what's up.

Missing one exhaust nut on the manifold thus the gurgling. If anyone has one they would like to put in an envelope and help a brother out it would go a long way. Ill cover the charge.

Shift boot stuff.
I have an automatic and the plastic shift boot thing is all broken up. Need to replace to look clean.

All the rest is cosmetics. Window switchs and such. Mirror "straps" need replacing - little metal strapping on the mirror. I have the spare on the trick right now as it had a flat. It should look the part by next week.
yne7u6et.jpg

u7u7e6ym.jpg

5yzejysu.jpg

Last edited:

Cruisn

Adventurer
I keep forgetting that you guys are a year out with the models. figured I would see a second gen. good buy. the gens 1's are tough as nails, trust me. haha

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Shocks: KYB Gas Adjusts. Cheap. Effective. Last long time.
Tranny Leak: Check the lines going to the cooler.
Local Pick & Pull for the rest, car-part.com is also good as is your local dealer (if you have a local one).

Also there's a fairly large & active contingent of Mitsu 4x4 owners in AZ. Mostly around Phoenix. You can get a hold of them on 4x4wire.com's AZ site. Also check out the Mitsu forums there for more tech info.

tete

Observer
Thanks guys for the guidance. I must add that the more I drive it the better it gets. Just feels great. Im blown away by how quite it is. Ill look into those shocks. I could use a cup holder, if anyone has and idea. Or an example of how the go about it please share. I can't say I've ever been this excited about a car.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I mounted a cup holder in the flat space on the driveline tunnel console in the area below the stereo. Grasscat did the same thing also.

For passengers in back, the plastic aftermarket center consoles sold at Walmart work well if you securely mount them to the floor behind the center glovebox in front of the rear seats.

tete

Observer
Ok so I finally got underneath to have a better look at the leak.

One seems to be coming from this hose which leads out of where the drive shaft meets the tranny.
7ahy2yry.jpg

There also Seems to be another leak where this hose goes into just outside the transmission pan
e6azyzyb.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371734686.202366.jpg
Also the transmission pan gasket looks to be leaking and is probably the major culprit. Looks like the PO used a gasket sealer instead of a factory gasket.

I hope some of this makes sense as I am not the most mechanically verse person.

I do however feel that I can do these my self. I have some experience w mechanics as I'm always rehabbing vintage motorcycles.

The problem does not seem be urgent but it's something I will handle sooner than later. Probably in the next two weeks.

Can someone explain the dipstick which states hot and cold, as well as do you push it all the way in to see the proper result? On my 75 bmw motorcycle you rest the dip stick on the threads and not tread all the way in

Thanks again.

T

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If you're rehabbing vintage motorcycles you have more than enough tech / mechanical experience... just some minor guidance is all that's probably needed. First go to mitsubishilinks.com and download the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the 89 Montero. It's not identical but it's close enough to your 91.

Try and clean the underside thoroughly and then run the engine (w/out moving) and put it in gear (assuming it's an automatic; again w/out moving), then put it back in park. It may be sufficient for the leak to show. You will probably need a flashlight and maybe an extendable inspection mirror to find the source.

If it is the transmission pan gasket, it can be replaced by you in your driveway/garage at home. While you do that, you should also take the time to replace the wire screen mesh transmission filter. It normally only needs to be cleaned but with a vehicle this age, it's probably a good idea to replace it just on principle.

Although I've never actually done it before, I've always read that the removal & replacement of the AT filter is pretty straight forward.

First you need to park the rig on a flat level surface.
Chock the wheels and support the transmission body using a jack stand (not the hydraulic jack). It needs to be on the transmission body because you will need to remove the transmission cross member to gain access to the pan.
Once supported, remove the cross member (4-6 bolts).
Unbolt & remove the pan.
Thoroughly clean off both sealing surfaces on the pan & the transmission. You must also remove any remaining RTV.
Remove & replace the transmission filter which should now be visible and accessible. Notice the filter is a wire screen mesh. Normally you don't need to replace it and would simply clean the mesh and put the filter back.
Reverse the removal process to reassemble the transmission.
Check for leaks.

As far as the transmission dipstick, the hot/cold marks on it indicate what the transmission fluid level should be at depending on if the engine is already warm or still cold. Yes you push it all the way in to check the fluid level.

tete

Observer
Ok well I installed the stereo. This was interesting. The trim from the OEM unit was held together by Popsicle sticks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371777579.015878.jpg
So I'm going to have to source a new new trim peice which I can't imagine is easy to find.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371777889.915402.jpg

The install was straight forward otherwise. Hands free telephone and iphone pandora friendly all Bluetooth. No CD or tape. I did learn that the PO was filthy. And must have taken this apart before with all thumbs. The previous stereo was garbage and will find its home there unless someone gets excited about these units. It works but is ugly. If you want it hit me up by tomorrow. Ugly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371777830.065379.jpg

As for the pan gasket is the dealer the only good source and I guess I'll have to find a part number. I use your suggestions for sure. Seems easy enough and it's not leaking profusely even tho the pictures look bad. Check the levels and we are good there.

If anyone has a center shift mech or at least the PRND2L as shown here please let me know and how much to take off your hands. Mine is all busted.

1400$ is starting to sound like I paid way to much but I have to admit it drives so good and other than these things the rest looks pretty tip top.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371778254.915046.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371778215.981687.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371778215.981687.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 13

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Did you undo the screws that hold the the bezel on before you tried to remove it? Mine came off without issues and it was an 89.

For part numbers, if you have a Windows PC, you can download the Mitsu ASA program from the same url i mentioned above and look up part numbers.

tete

Observer
No. The bezel was held together by glue. And popsicle sticks. Terrible. I could make one but would prefer to find an OEM one. If anyone knows a source.
Yeah I'm finding all kinda of little things the previous owner did that are going to be little projects.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ahh yeah I just reread your post. Possibly previous owner neglect or it could also be simply that wonderful AZ heat...
irs possible that rxinhed (aka Russell) may have a spare one...

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Ray, thanks for the referal. My daughter still has not given up fixing her Montero, and I can't sell or deal the parts on her car. I passed Vic on to WillWinchForFood.

tete

Observer
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'm also trying to source 1 exhaust manifold nut. I'm sure it's a pretty standard size but just can't seem to find it in the tech guides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears