New product from Proud Rhino! The SYA Off Road Extension Kit

Derel1cte

Adventurer
I appreciate someone making a product like this, but I am pretty tired of the prices on this stuff. If it were $200 range I probably wouldn't mind so much, but I think this is a bit ridiculous, like a lot of rover related aftermarket. This definitely deserves a place on the mod planning list, but when I look at the list and the prices I am in shock.

I will watch for a group buy on this I guess.

How is $500 too much? We have some of the most complicated suspension setups of any 4x4 and now this product can be purchased for about the same price it costs a solid axle JK guy to lift his jeep. I'd say that's a pretty big win.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I agree it is a win. Don't take me wrong, I am glad its available at any price. I am just a bit exhausted about how expensive it is to get my truck setup the way I want :D

It feels very much like my boat. Everything you do with a boat costs a boat dollar. ($1k).

I may break down and buy it at that price, but I am hoping for an opportunity to get them cheaper... ill leave it at that.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
I think economies of scale both in number and size/weight play a huge role. The tactical rover sliders hammered it home for me. I thought the were expensive but "hey it is a land rover'. Then I received them and not just the build quality but the shear size of them made me see the coat was fitting.

Some things are expensive because they will only sell like 5 a year...others because they are stout and expensive to produce, then you have a market will near it situation, like the rods.

I wish it were less but somethings are worth it.

iowalr4

Adventurer
That is a good idea. Please keep in mind your truck may sit on the body tires before it sits on the bump stops.

One more question. What size tire can you use and still safely move the vehicle? You say you could still not hit the bump stops, but hit the tires instead?

With a 32" tire, will the truck still roll if on the bump stops with this extension kit?

zelatore

Explorer
I appreciate someone making a product like this, but I am pretty tired of the prices on this stuff. If it were $200 range I probably wouldn't mind so much, but I think this is a bit ridiculous, like a lot of rover related aftermarket. This definitely deserves a place on the mod planning list, but when I look at the list and the prices I am in shock.

I will watch for a group buy on this I guess.

I understand your thinking. After all, just looking at it there's not much there - just a few bits of steel welded up, some air-line extensions, and some limit straps. Heck, I could make that in my garage for $50 right?

Sure...probably could.

But you're not paying for the manufacturing and materials cost. You're paying for the development cost. How many CVs did they kill before they got it right? How much time went into getting this sorted out? That has to be amortized across what is a relatively small market (these aren't Jeeps after all). And yes, they have to make a profit to stay in business. If they expected to sell 5000 of these then I would expect the price to be lower. As it is I'm going to guess they're targeting more like 500 (I don't really know, but it would be interesting to hear Justin's thoughts on this). So the price per part goes up.

Is it expensive for 'what it is'? Yeah, I guess it is. Is it expensive vs trying to sort it out on your own and making just one mistake (not to mention your time)? Not so much.

I've voted with my wallet - I ordered mine last week. BTW - where is it? I though it would be here by now! And when is Lucky8 going to open Lucky9: The West Coast Annex?

zelatore

Explorer
One more question. What size tire can you use and still safely move the vehicle? You say you could still not hit the bump stops, but hit the tires instead?

With a 32" tire, will the truck still roll if on the bump stops with this extension kit?

While I have yet to install these I would say the answer is almost certainly YES.

I run a 32" tire now. When on the bump stops I can still drive but get rubbing at every little bounce. I've done it for a couple miles. Uncomfortable and unpleasant but driveable. Add 2" to that and it should be no problems at all.

To be fair, I do have the usual mods done to my rig for clearance. I trimmed the frame horns at the back of the front wheel wells and moved the rear heater lines in the passenger rear wheel well as well as the corresponding body seam. I also did some trimming of the front inner splash guards. However with 2" extra height I don't think any of those would be required to keep you rolling. You may still need to do some small trimming to avoid rubbing the fronts at full lock, but that would not be related to the bump stop height.

perkj

Explorer
To be fair, I do have the usual mods done to my rig for clearance. I trimmed the frame horns at the back of the front wheel wells and moved the rear heater lines in the passenger rear wheel well as well as the corresponding body seam. I also did some trimming of the front inner splash guards. However with 2" extra height I don't think any of those would be required to keep you rolling. You may still need to do some small trimming to avoid rubbing the fronts at full lock, but that would not be related to the bump stop height.

Can you post a picture of the trimmed frame horns? Did you leave them open after the cut or did you weld a cap back on to seal the frame back up?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Can you post a picture of the trimmed frame horns? Did you leave them open after the cut or did you weld a cap back on to seal the frame back up?

Mine have a bolted on "cap" plate. This makes it replaceable and inspectable.

Jwestpro

Explorer
How is $500 too much? We have some of the most complicated suspension setups of any 4x4 and now this product can be purchased for about the same price it costs a solid axle JK guy to lift his jeep. I'd say that's a pretty big win.

$388, not $500. Anyone buying dumb rods is wasting $ and dreaming. Put that $100 toward an electronic lift tool.

zelatore

Explorer

I capped them. Keep in mind this isn't a worry on the earlier trucks, only the later ones. I don't think I have any pics of mine on hand but will check to see.

DVD

Adventurer
Anyone buying dumb rods is wasting $ and dreaming. Put that $100 toward an electronic lift tool.
Without articulating it quite that way, I've wondered the same thing: what could rods do that I couldn't do programmatically with IID tool? I guess it's just a cheaper way to get lift (but of course without all the other functionality of IID tool).

dsm02c

Adventurer
(these aren't Jeeps after all)

So true, every time I do something on the truck that I have to figure out (where to mount ARB compressor, LR4 dual intakes suck) I think about the 2-3 brackets made for a jeep to mount it and am seriously jealous (then I remember what it is like to even sit in a jeep and feel better)

Wish I would have known these were coming out, I would have taken a completely different approach, I'm down for a pair next time I need off road tires!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle