New product from Proud Rhino! The SYA Off Road Extension Kit

zelatore

Explorer
Without articulating it quite that way, I've wondered the same thing: what could rods do that I couldn't do programmatically with IID tool? I guess it's just a cheaper way to get lift (but of course without all the other functionality of IID tool).

Every truck seems to be a bit different with regard to how much lift you can get from the GAP tool. I forget the exact numbers, but I couldn't get a lot of lift from it. I want to say 35mm. Others have gotten 50mm. I run rods and use the GAP tool to fine tune my height from there.

But...this isn't what Jwestpro was talking about. He's running a LLAMS controller that let's him do on the fly height adjustments. It's still a bit of a rarity at least here in the states but it is a very interesting device. He's nearly convinced me I should have one. Perhaps he'll chime in with the various ways you can use it. I think it's his favorite toy. :)

zelatore

Explorer
So true, every time I do something on the truck that I have to figure out (where to mount ARB compressor, LR4 dual intakes suck) I think about the 2-3 brackets made for a jeep to mount it and am seriously jealous (then I remember what it is like to even sit in a jeep and feel better)

Wish I would have known these were coming out, I would have taken a completely different approach, I'm down for a pair next time I need off road tires!

FWIW, I mounted a Viair dual 300 setup in the empty box above the steering column on my LR3. This is where most of the dual battery kits mount the 2nd battery but since I don't plan to run duals it was a good fit for me.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Without articulating it quite that way, I've wondered the same thing: what could rods do that I couldn't do programmatically with IID tool? I guess it's just a cheaper way to get lift (but of course without all the other functionality of IID tool).

I've heard it called my "way with words" among other things ;)

Jwestpro

Explorer
Every truck seems to be a bit different with regard to how much lift you can get from the GAP tool. I forget the exact numbers, but I couldn't get a lot of lift from it. I want to say 35mm. Others have gotten 50mm. I run rods and use the GAP tool to fine tune my height from there.

But...this isn't what Jwestpro was talking about. He's running a LLAMS controller that let's him do on the fly height adjustments. It's still a bit of a rarity at least here in the states but it is a very interesting device. He's nearly convinced me I should have one. Perhaps he'll chime in with the various ways you can use it. I think it's his favorite toy. :)

Well, I'm pretty sure every guy is born with their "favorite" toy, but the LLAMS is certainly a top item on the rover ;)

I did use the GAP tool first, and found it sufficient actually but you can get more lift by using it and the factory leveling in the correct sequence, I think. As you know, there's either factory first, then choose higher GAP setting, or the setting first, then factory lever. Of course, this does not take into account the hidden factory "extra" height that will occur when a grounding is sensed. That's when it will max out. This can be "induced" by placing something just under the sill, settling back down onto it, and the "extra" feature will engage.

However, the LLAMS tool really is THE BOMB! I'll do a quick test tomorrow from the standard factory lift height, center of wheel to edge of fender. The dial has +30mm and +50mm and a special emergency switch for + (more) but I can't recall how much more.

I use the +30 in town a lot to help the tires wear more evenly and roll normal height to -20 on all interstate travel depending on the conditions. With the 2" spacers this thread was started with, I'd probably never run -20 on the highway though because of the reduced up travel for those random dips and lifts in the roadway at speed.

dsm02c

Adventurer
FWIW, I mounted a Viair dual 300 setup in the empty box above the steering column on my LR3. This is where most of the dual battery kits mount the 2nd battery but since I don't plan to run duals it was a good fit for me.

I have put in a 2nd battery and with the ARB compressor behind the passenger headlight and the LR4 dual intakes now it's a battle of where to move the washer fluid tank for the front bumper install... Eric at tactical has said a guy used a d90 bottle and shoehorned it into their bumper but that doesn't make me super confident...

Dmarchand

Adventurer

So interestingly enough I had this happen to me at 80mph this weekend on the way to a bike race in Northern VT. One of my rear tires developed a hole in the tread, bled down to 7psi without me noticing (disabled tpms). What is interesting is that the suspension found the difference of one very low tire, and one very high tire to mean there was a height sensor failure on the "high" tire - 50psi. The truck immediately deflated the suspension and before I knew it, I was on bump stops, grinding up my rear wheel well liners while coming to a stop from say 50mph or so. Which means holes in the liners (cheap thankfully).

So the faults thrown where 2 - height sensor failure on the high side tire, and "cross axle algorithm out of parameter". Wish I had the fore-thought to take a pic but was too busy trying to figure out how to get going to maybe make the race. Anyway, used GAP and the fuses to disable the system to get me off the highway to change the tire itself. And because I wasn't sure why the double fault, I took my time rather than run and make the race I was about to miss.

The irony is, I had seen the new rhino setup on Justin's LR3 at the trophy (Vermont Overland Trophy), asked him about it, called and begged him and Eric to get it out to me. It is on the way to be delivered this week. But as luck would have it, running a 32.5 tire my truck didn't have an off-road failure, but an on-road failure that did more damage in trying to come to a stop in a straight line.

zelatore

Explorer
I've disabled mine as well. Since my truck is a trail rig it sees a lot of time with the tires at low pressure. Why bother buying TPMS sensors for the 18" wheels when I knew I'd just have to listen to/watch the alarm all the time. Thank you GAP tool. :)

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've disabled mine as well. Since my truck is a trail rig it sees a lot of time with the tires at low pressure. Why bother buying TPMS sensors for the 18" wheels when I knew I'd just have to listen to/watch the alarm all the time. Thank you GAP tool. :)

I swear I rest mine or it resets or something....never seems to bother me anyway. I like having the added warning if something is going on with a tire, more so on the road trips.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Same reason as most. truck is aired down often and it is bothersome and annoying. And while it would have helped me in this situation get ahead of the fault, I've never had a tire damage situation like that in any other vehicle.

That's nuts! Why did you disable the tpms ?

zelatore

Explorer
Mine arrived this week as well though I won't have a chance to install for several weeks as I have every weekend booked until after the WRLRR in Sedona.

I'll be interested to see the pics as I'm not sure where the limit straps attach. I'm hoping it will be obvious when I actually get under there and start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle