New to me 2000 KLR650

Clark White

Explorer
Well here she is!
KLR.jpg

Something like 1900 miles on the clock (spedo cable had come unscrewed ~200mi ago apparently). I just screwed it back in, so what ever. Might have more miles on it then the guy claims, but I doubt it (hes an old machinist who seams really honest). She is bone stock right now, not even the doohickey done. I already ordered the doohickey, a skid plate, and some handlebar dampeners. The guy also has a pair of really nice soft panniers I'm going to get tomorrow for $40. Probably goin to make my own rack for them, get a tank bag, and crash bars with HWY pegs, maybe a taller windshield, and call it good. Oh, and it came with a pretty big rear bag too. :wings:

Clark

Last edited:

emohn

Observer
Hey, nice KLR!!!

I just picked up a new-to-me 2000 KLR650 a couple weeks ago as well. Same color scheme, though your plastics aren't nearly as faded and beat up as mine.

792221499_dyGyp-L.jpg

I'm a novice rider, but so far I've found the KLR to be exactly the bike I needed. Not too much power for a beginner, but cruises along at 65 comfortably on the highway, and seems quite at home in dirt and rocks. Mine's definitely got a few more miles than yours (just shy of 30k), but the previous owner was a great guy with meticulous service records. Mine's done all the major continental divide passes around Colorado and has logged many more miles across the Baja penninsula. I can only hope to give it as much room to stretch its legs as the previous owner.

Not to steer anyone away from hanging out on ExPo, but you should definitely check out ADVrider.com if you haven't already. Great bunch of folks and a LOT of good KLR and general dualsport/adventure riding tech.

Congrats on the purchase!

-Erik

Clark White

Explorer
Hey, I swear I've seen that bike somewhere! LOL. I actually have the same thread going over on ADV, joined up as soon as I decided I was definitely getting a bike.

Clark

jh504

Explorer
Jealous of you both! Almost bought a Honda XR250L last week but I picked up an FJ62 instead. Hope you both have a great time on them!

Clark White

Explorer
Congrats Clark!! OD Green is the best color IMO! When are we going for a ride??

Thanks everyone! I rode it to class today (20mi each way), but I might take it for a real ride this weekend, depends on weather. Haven't decided whether I want to take it over Jerome and Sedona, or head down Senator HWY and play in the dirt some. Anyone wanna join?

Clark

Clark White

Explorer
Well I went for my first real ride today, 4hrs and 100 miles. Not the longest ride ever I know, but it was about all my unconditioned butt could handle :huh

HaysRanchRd.jpg

I'm going out again tomorrow, well see how much steel formation takes place in my but over night.

Thanks for all the advice on tires and parts and such. I've already ordered some of it, or am trying to get some things used from a local guy who is looking to part his bike out. The fuses caught my eye, I had just blindly assumed they used normal automotive fuses.

Clark

Last edited:

Clark White

Explorer
I almost forgot, I made my first modifications today. Things kept vibrating loose, so I went around and found all loose things: if they were something I would rarely mess with I put LocTite 271 on em, if I am likely to mess with them from time to time I hurked up on them until I can get some lesser LocTite.

Clark

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
You can play around with your gearing pretty easily and cheaply to get the offroad manners a little better. I went a full tooth down up front and it made worlds of difference off road. Makes going over 65 even more buzzy, but not bad, and I really enjoyed tractoring around offroad.

Don

-

Clark White

Explorer
You can play around with your gearing pretty easily and cheaply to get the offroad manners a little better. I went a full tooth down up front and it made worlds of difference off road. Makes going over 65 even more buzzy, but not bad, and I really enjoyed tractoring around offroad.

Don

-

I'm going to wait until after my 10,000 mile summer trip, but when I return from that I think I probably will go to a 14 tooth up front for ease around here. I obviously don't want to do that before that long of a road trip though :bike_rider:

Clark

Clark White

Explorer
Well I just got done with the Doohickey mod :ylsmoke: I ended up buying a 1 1/4" (exact same as the 32mm that it calls for) crows foot, ground down the inside of it to fit the tight insides of the rotor, and everything else was child's play. :bike_rider:

Clark

P.S. Tomorrow or maybe this weekend will be skid plate, cruise control, and handle bar crash bar things. Oh, and I couldn't restrain my self, I picked up one of those KLR/BMW stickers, I just thought they were too funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12