New to Toyota's Just bought 2005 Tundra DC

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Bumpers

http://www.tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAG-Bumper-Store/Wincher-Toyota-Tundra-1999-2006 <------ Stay far, far away from these guys unless you like frustration. This is the former "Kennesaw Mountain" fabrication outfit whose reputation stretches across the internet. Don't take my word for it, google both TAG and Kennessaw Mountain to get an idea of what you might be in for.

I'll give you a clue: They're the cheapest fabricators around for a reason. ;)

To the OP, when it comes to bumpers, the dilemma is that they are so big and heavy that shipping from almost anywhere is going to add at least a hundred bucks (or more!) to your price. Given that you're in Iowa, what with all the farms around, I would think you could find a local fabricator who can probably build you something that's as good as what you can buy on line, and even if the price is exactly the same (or a bit higher), what you'll save on shipping costs will be well worth it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks I have been using Google trying to find it but I didn't know what to look for I kept finding headlamp parts and grill parts

you're welcome.

half the problem is knowing what the part is called...took me a couple tries of stumbling around on google, to figure out what they were called. (so you are not alone. ;) )

the chinese stuff is cheaply made, try and find the OEM...huge difference in quality.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
does anyone know where i can find the filler piece that goes under the headlamp for the left side mine has some damage and I'd like to replace it
Alternately, seems like a perfect spot to fit a small LED bar.

Clutch- I know there are things available- 5100 Bilsteins, TC long travel... leaves a lot of middle ground. There is simply much less choice- where other Toyotas or other half-tons have tons of options, you're lucky to find ONE that meets your needs/budget for the Gen1 Tundra.

LOW50S

Observer
Alternately, seems like a perfect spot to fit a small LED bar.

Clutch- I know there are things available- 5100 Bilsteins, TC long travel... leaves a lot of middle ground. There is simply much less choice- where other Toyotas or other half-tons have tons of options, you're lucky to find ONE that meets your needs/budget for the Gen1 Tundra.
That would be great but those little light bars are so much coin! Being I'd need 2 and then I would like to add one larger one down the road I missed out on a few people I know had side y sides and sold some real cheap oh well next time

LOW50S

Observer
Well I am sad to say the Toyota has already let me down somewhat, I have noticed some slight slop in the steering I did not think much about it since its a new truck figured it was normal to a point something different than I was used to. but seems to be getting worse. I got it up in the air tonight and took off the left side Inner tie rod boot and noticed that the bushings inside the rack and pinion are destroyed allowing the entire shaft of the rack and pinion to move in all directions. I got on the phone with the manager from the dealer I bought the truck from and said since it was out of the 3 day grace period I may be SOL but he would like me to come in so they can get a look at it. said slight chance they may cover it . I guess worst case is I am out the cost of a rack and pinion along with my time. plus travel to the dealership so they can look at it (5hours round trip)

Clutch

<---Pass

Seems like a lot of middle ground to me...anything from spacer lifts up to full tilt boogie long travel. I can think of several combinations off the top of my head, how many more options do you need?

Spacer
OME
Toytec 5100 Bilsteins
After market coil overs, such as Camburg, Fox, King, Icon, Race Runner, etc...
After market coil overs w/UCA
After market coil overs w/UCA&LCA
After market coil overs w/UCA, LCA, & Smooth Body Dampeners.
After market coil overs w/UCA, LCA, & By-Passes

There are bracket lifts out there too...

RCsGX

Contact Jason at DeMello Off-Road. He has everything you need or can steer you in the right direction. He knows Toyota trucks like very few. www.demello-offroad.com

No 1st gen bumpers and no 2nd gen either yet.

I spoke with him about making a bumper for the Lexus GX470 and he needs a GX to do a mock up on. Unfortunately no GX owners have stepped up yet and I don't live close to Cali or else I would do it in a heartbeat. His bumpers are the best looking out there...my opinion of course.

does anyone know where i can find the filler piece that goes under the headlamp for the left side mine has some damage and I'd like to replace it

The OEM part number is: 539040C050
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/p.../PANEL--FRONT-END--LH/2122814/539040C050.html

LOW50S

Observer
No 1st gen bumpers and no 2nd gen either yet.

I spoke with him about making a bumper for the Lexus GX470 and he needs a GX to do a mock up on. Unfortunately no GX owners have stepped up yet and I don't live close to Cali or else I would do it in a heartbeat. His bumpers are the best looking out there...my opinion of course.

The OEM part number is: 539040C050
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/p.../PANEL--FRONT-END--LH/2122814/539040C050.html
That says limited ? is that the same parts between the limited and the SR5? Otherwise I may be ordering one to get it taken care of.

RCsGX

That says limited ? is that the same parts between the limited and the SR5? Otherwise I may be ordering one to get it taken care of.

Yes same part.

Scroll down on that page:
Product Fitment/Applications
TOYOTA Tundra 4000CC 24-VALVE DOHC EFI, AUTOMATIC 5-SPEED COLUMN SHIFT DELUXE 2005, 2006
TOYOTA Tundra 4000CC 24-VALVE DOHC EFI, AUTOMATIC 5-SPEED COLUMN SHIFT SR5 2005, 2006
TOYOTA Tundra 4000CC 24-VALVE DOHC EFI, MANUAL , 6-SPEED DELUXE 2005, 2006
TOYOTA Tundra 4000CC 24-VALVE DOHC EFI, MANUAL , 6-SPEED SR5 2005, 2006
TOYOTA Tundra 4700CC 32-VALVE DOHC EFI, AUTOMATIC 5-SPEED COLUMN SHIFT DELUXE 2005, 2006
TOYOTA Tundra 4700CC 32-VALVE DOHC EFI, AUTOMATIC 5-SPEED COLUMN SHIFT LIMITED 2005, 2006

Kya

Adventurer
Seems like a lot of middle ground to me...anything from spacer lifts up to full tilt boogie long travel. I can think of several combinations off the top of my head, how many more options do you need?

Spacer
OME
Toytec 5100 Bilsteins
After market coil overs, such as Camburg, Fox, King, Icon, Race Runner, etc...
After market coil overs w/UCA
After market coil overs w/UCA&LCA
After market coil overs w/UCA, LCA, & Smooth Body Dampeners.
After market coil overs w/UCA, LCA, & By-Passes

There are bracket lifts out there too...

Are you saying there after market LCA, that are NOT the Camburg or TC long travel options? Please tell where.

I have searched for stock length LCA that would replace or at least reinforce the lower ball joint. That one part has always looked like a major weak point.

seanpistol

Explorer
Well I am sad to say the Toyota has already let me down somewhat, I have noticed some slight slop in the steering I did not think much about it since its a new truck figured it was normal to a point something different than I was used to. but seems to be getting worse. I got it up in the air tonight and took off the left side Inner tie rod boot and noticed that the bushings inside the rack and pinion are destroyed allowing the entire shaft of the rack and pinion to move in all directions. I got on the phone with the manager from the dealer I bought the truck from and said since it was out of the 3 day grace period I may be SOL but he would like me to come in so they can get a look at it. said slight chance they may cover it . I guess worst case is I am out the cost of a rack and pinion along with my time. plus travel to the dealership so they can look at it (5hours round trip)

This is such an easy fix....

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...tion-how-polyurethane-steering-rack-bushings/

p nut

butter
You may want to change out the sway bar bushing while you're under there.

Bushings are typical wear items and should be a concern. It's not that hard to do, especially since it sounds like you know your way around a truck. I certainly wouldn't waste 5 hours then a few more waiting for them to change it vs just doing it yourself.

Also, every truck has quirks. But by far, Toyota has had the least for me.

LOW50S

Observer

Ya I bought a set of bushings from wheelers before I even had a chance to look at it up in the air, but the bushings I am talking about are the ones inside the rack and pinion, basically the steering shaft that the inner tie rod screws to are worn so bad that the entire insides of the rack and pinion are bouncing around so the only way to fix this is replace the rack and pinion. I plan on replacing that next saturday and I am going to throw in the wheelers bushings for rack to frame.

Maybe when I have it up on the hoist I will try and take a small video showing the play. at the same time I am going to flush the P/S fluid with some amsoil transmission fluid I have laying around.
I was planning on ordering some 5100 but this steering gear taking a crap has cut into that money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998