Nut Sizes

larrynsr

I was at the local Land Rover dealership for a club meeting and found this to be worthy of a picture. I guess size does matter! :smiley_drive:

nuts.jpg

toyota_jon

Adventurer
HAHA i opened up this thread at work a little nervous with my hand hovering over the close button. thanks for the good laugh!:D

RoverMack

Adventurer
They did at least one thing right :ylsmoke:

If only that were true:) The actual wheel "nut" is a similar size to the other examples, LR just stuck a dumb soft metal cap over the nut to make it appear larger, unfortunately they can be damaged on the trail, or by a careless mechanic armed with an air impact wrench distorting the "cap' making them a difficult fit for the socket when removing a wheel.
Owning my LR from new I had plenty of opportunity to study this ridiculous display piece at the dealer while waiting to pick up my RR for the usual RR idiosyncrasies.(which would invariably take several trips to resolve).
This did irk me somewhat, bad enough the fake cap/ wheel nut was poorly conceived styling touch, but to try and pass it off as an example of LR engineering superiority was just plain stupid.
I always wondered if anyone pointed this out to the marketing genius who developed the idea, and if they
1. Realized it was a fake cap
2. believed that most LR buyers would not notice or care

A few years ago I saw a modified version at an independent LR shop, where the cap had been removed and the actual nut placed alongside a "real" J**p and Toyota wheel nut and on that example the LR "nut" was noticeably smaller, my thoughts were apparently shared by others

TeriAnn

Explorer
If only that were true:) The actual wheel "nut" is a similar size to the other examples, LR just stuck a dumb soft metal cap over the nut to make it appear larger,

Ah, a codpiece for a coiler with alloy wheels. There are those who feel image defines reality.

For what little its worth, a single ended Series lug nut takes a 1-1/6th inch socket and has no soft metal cover. I have no idea of how it compares with the lug nut under the coiler's soft metal camp.

muskyman

Explorer
If only that were true:) The actual wheel "nut" is a similar size to the other examples, LR just stuck a dumb soft metal cap over the nut to make it appear larger, unfortunately they can be damaged on the trail, or by a careless mechanic armed with an air impact wrench distorting the "cap' making them a difficult fit for the socket when removing a wheel.
Owning my LR from new I had plenty of opportunity to study this ridiculous display piece at the dealer while waiting to pick up my RR for the usual RR idiosyncrasies.(which would invariably take several trips to resolve).
This did irk me somewhat, bad enough the fake cap/ wheel nut was poorly conceived styling touch, but to try and pass it off as an example of LR engineering superiority was just plain stupid.
I always wondered if anyone pointed this out to the marketing genius who developed the idea, and if they
1. Realized it was a fake cap
2. believed that most LR buyers would not notice or care

A few years ago I saw a modified version at an independent LR shop, where the cap had been removed and the actual nut placed alongside a "real" J**p and Toyota wheel nut and on that example the LR "nut" was noticeably smaller, my thoughts were apparently shared by others

Hey maybe I can point something out to you...you are wrong.

The exploder and jeeps use a 1/2" stud and the landrover uses a 16mm, that is a 25% larger stud. Allthough the marketing part was about the size of the lugs the truth is the stud it threads onto is what makes it stronger.

This same stud is used on the 1 ton rated defender 110's. So it is clearly superior in design to the small Ford and Jeep stuff.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

The exploder and jeeps use a 1/2" stud and the landrover uses a 16mm, that is a 25% larger stud. Allthough the marketing part was about the size of the lugs the truth is the stud it threads onto is what makes it stronger.

This same stud is used on the 1 ton rated defender 110's. So it is clearly superior in design to the small Ford and Jeep stuff.

Yeah, and a whopping 60% more cross sectional area which is the more important measurement.

winkosmosis

Explorer

Which is an irrelevant feature, unless you're dropping your vehicle from a helicopter or something.

The rest of the vehicle's reliability is far more important... So I think it's ridiculous for Land Rover to flaunt the size of its lugs, or studs, or whatever--- when their vehicles are at the bottom of the barrel for reliability. I don't see them making a plaque comparing their ratings in comparison to Ford and Jeep, not to mention Toyota.

S

stu454

How is a 25% larger stud irrelevant?

Can you site data or are you just stirring the pot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998