OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

LaBlaze

You can purchase tank heating pads for the dweller on amazon. the only tricky thing is the diamond plate covering the tanks. I thought that was removable. But it actually has a purpose of supporting the tank. I just adhered the tank pads over the diamond plating. I am hoping the heat transfer will work out ok, since the heat pad is not directly mounted to the tank itself. I do not think the Dweller has any insulation. Nothing in the walls

Any concerns about brush or sticks or other off-road stuff grabbing the wiring for the heating pads, or even the pads themselves? I imagine they're probably in maybe the most vulnerable position for backcountry, unmaintained travel.
Have you tried it out winter camping? What was the lowest temp you've been in? Thanks!

Not really, the pads are flush mounted attached to the bottom of the tanks. As far as the wiring goes, I zip tied wires to water lines etc...
I ran the wires towards the back passenger side of trailer. Then I purchased a 12 volt inverter, to plug into the 12 volt cigarette style connector towards the backside of trailer and plugged the 110 wires from the heat pads to the inverter. Or , if you are by shore power you could plug directly into the 110 a/c power and not use the inverter. I'll take a few pics next time i am at trailer. I think it will work pretty slick though. Or at least I hope. :)
Oh the tank heaters are 120v AC? Do you have a link? I'd like to take a look.

I purchased both items through Amazon. For some reason, the links will not come through.​

DEWALT DXAEPI140 Power Inverter 140W Car Converter: 12V DC to 120V AC Power Outlet with Dual 3.1A USB Ports​

H&G lifestyles RV Holding Tank Heater Pad Use with Up to 50 Gallons Fresh Water 120V 12" x 18" Holding Tank Heating Pad with Constant temperature heating plate (Pack of 2)​

Feedback is appreciated.

Also did you use any pipe type glue on them or just the clamps? And did you stick another shorter piece inside the corrugated pipe and the piece you connected to the inlet? Sorry to be a pain trying to figure this out so we can use our water.
LaBlaze, I did not use any glue, just clamps. I used an appropriately sized barbed M-M plastic connector available in the plumbing section of a local hardware store. So far so good.

Not really, the pads are flush mounted attached to the bottom of the tanks. As far as the wiring goes, I zip tied wires to water lines etc...
I ran the wires towards the back passenger side of trailer. Then I purchased a 12 volt inverter, to plug into the 12 volt cigarette style connector towards the backside of trailer and plugged the 110 wires from the heat pads to the inverter. Or , if you are by shore power you could plug directly into the 110 a/c power and not use the inverter. I'll take a few pics next time i am at trailer. I think it will work pretty slick though. Or at least I hope. :)
When on shore power, it seems the charge on the batteries would be enough to keep up with 12v heating pads and when not on shore power, it's a little more efficient. Why not buy 12v tank heaters and wire them directly into the battery bank?

I think putting 140 watts of energy into 1/8" aluminum plate, will not provide the results you're hoping for.
That was always on the back of my mind as well. I just did not want to remove the diamond plating holding up the tanks. quite frankly, I thought the diamond plating was just a protective cover only and not a support for the tanks too. I did not realize that until I started looking at the tanks more thoroughly. Then I was thinking, I do not want to take on that task anytime soon. If it works, great ! If not so be it.

The Dweller might be different from our Conqueror, but i was able to unbolt the diamond plate from each tank when i wrapped them with insulation. The bolts that hold the diamond plate also go through mounting holes in the tank. In this way, the diamond plate can be removed without removing the whole tank.

The Dweller might be different from our Conqueror, but i was able to unbolt the diamond plate from each tank when i wrapped them with insulation. The bolts that hold the diamond plate also go through mounting holes in the tank. In this way, the diamond plate can be removed without removing the whole tank.
Thank you ! I will check it out.

Flettrich3

We brought our camper out for a 4-day trip. We went to stay on the Brazos River in Cleburne Texas. Very beautiful had a great time. Being that it was windy we decided not to put the awning up, so we decided to use a tarp which my wife sewed on a Keder bar for the Keder Rail which is located on the front of the awning. We started putting it on the awning Keder rail, but it was tight and I was having a rough time without a ladder pulling it all the way across. I did not want to rip it or anything first time using it. We decided to put it on the rail behind the awning. I believe it is a gutter rail. Not sure. It slid right on there and worked perfectly. Didn't really think about that rail but that could also help if it were to rain to where the rain will not be coming down in between the awning and the camper. It fit great. So if there is anybody out there who buys the Keder bar for the Keder rail and sews it on to a tarp it is a lot more stable than using the awning itself. We had up to 20 to 25 mph winds the tarp held up well. I will add some pictures. 20240309_181816.jpg20240310_134820.jpg20240311_161527.jpg20240311_161537.jpg20240311_161456.jpg20240311_161514.jpg20240311_135219.jpg
2444da14b3e696aa046234cf41009289.jpg
3decf85c353d78c4203d628e5d30cfec.jpg
ae4d1f3b1a5849c94b154f9a50fd00da.jpg
61b62f24be5b23ea20658386b7725415.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20240310_134820.jpg
    20240310_134820.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240310_134820.jpg
    20240310_134820.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240311_161456.jpg
    20240311_161456.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 18
We brought our camper out for a 4-day trip. We went to stay on the Brazos River in Cleburne Texas. Very beautiful had a great time. Being that it was windy we decided not to put the awning up, so we decided to use a tarp which my wife sewed on a Keder bar for the Keder Rail which is located on the front of the awning. We started putting it on the awning Keder rail, but it was tight and I was having a rough time without a ladder pulling it all the way across. I did not want to rip it or anything first time using it. We decided to put it on the rail behind the awning. I believe it is a gutter rail. Not sure. It slid right on there and worked perfectly. Didn't really think about that rail but that could also help if it were to rain to where the rain will not be coming down in between the awning and the camper. It fit great. So if there is anybody out there who buys the Keder bar for the Keder rail and sews it on to a tarp it is a lot more stable than using the awning itself. We had up to 20 to 25 mph winds the tarp held up well. I will add some pictures.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
This looks amazing. Well done, sir. Do you have any links or websites to where you purchased the tarp, poles and keder bar?

Flettrich3

This looks amazing. Well done, sir. Do you have any links or websites to where you purchased the tarp, poles and keder bar?
It really is the way to go. It is big enough to cover the Fridge Cooler and Kitchen Extension, but could use a tad more tarp for full coverage of the table when pulled out. I am going to make 1 more with a little bit bigger tarp.

Keder Bar 6mm KEDER BAR
Tarp Poles Poles
Tarp Tarp link

It really is the way to go. It is big enough to cover the Fridge Cooler and Kitchen Extension, but could use a tad more tarp for full coverage of the table when pulled out. I am going to make 1 more with a little bit bigger tarp.

Keder Bar 6mm KEDER BAR
Tarp Poles Poles
Tarp Tarp link
I see you're in Texas too (I'm near San Antonio). If you're willing, I'd be interested in talking about buying one of those tarps from you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman