Offroad-Adventure-Travel.com Suburban Build

02TahoeMD

Explorer
You are putting in a Cummins!!??? Oh my....... :Wow1: :drool: Another step closer to perfection, great job!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Nice build, any worries about the chain drive transfer case ?

I had a burb in venezuela for 4 years both oilfield work and trails, and went through 2 transfer case chains

Bigfeet

Epic thread brewing here...

On a side note, can anyone recommend where I can go to learn more about the front axle swap and what the benefits are? Thanks in advance!

Bigfeet

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Benefits are obviously stronger front end over IFS. I ran the IFS with no problem, but by adding the additional weight of a cummins there was no way it would hold up. Ill be writing up a detail swap report on my site as soon as its complete.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Colorado Ron said:
Benefits are obviously stronger front end over IFS. I ran the IFS with no problem, but by adding the additional weight of a cummins there was no way it would hold up. Ill be writing up a detail swap report on my site as soon as its complete.

So what year axle did you get Ron? Kingpin or ball joint?

More +'s to the SAS: easier & cheaper servicing, better articulation, waaay more durable, and more options for lockers/limited slips, as well as upgraded components. Well worth the investment.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Thanks Ujoint. I agree. I tried to keep the ifs, but just no way with the cummins weight. I went with a 79 F350 High Pinion D60.

Bigfeet

Thanks all for the responses. I own a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD and guess I should look into this before I get it lifted.

Regards,
Bigfeet

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Are you moving the spring perches out? that's the wrong axle for the 60011 kit....

The 60011 kit is for 86-97 Ford Dana 60's with the 36.5" spring pad width.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Spring perches were already chopped off, so we are welding them on to match the spring location.

Edit--Just checked and you are correct. I recieved the other one--60010

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Ok, good. The drivers side perch will be in the center section. You'll have to keep it that way in order to center the axle properly. Give us more pics!!!

bootzilla

Adventurer
Awesome looking 'burban - fab work is incredible!

So before the axle swap, were you just running the body lift and the 35's, or had you done a suspension lift, too? Just curious because I know somebody thinking of getting rid of their Suburban diesel (it is same body as yours, but a non-turbo, though, so I'm not sure if it is an early one with a 6.2, or a custom deal - haven't had a look under the hood, yet) and I was looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998