once again, rumors of new Jeep pickup

winkosmosis

Explorer
This morning, Pickuptrucks.com and FourWheeler.com are reporting that the Jeep pickup concept has been approved for production in the third quarter of 2011, and will be sold as a 2012 model.

FourWheeler.com has a good description of the model shown to dealers two days ago:

"Identical to the Wrangler from the B-pillar forward, the teaser had a small quarter window behind the front door and there will be some storage behind the front seats.

Unlike the J8/Sarge this pickup had a true bed with a gap between it and the cab.

The Unlimited-based pickup is said to retain the JK's link-coil suspension.

In order to maintain pickup proportions and keep a useable bed length, the JK pickup did have an extended rear overhang and like the Gladiator, this concept had the spare tire mounted to the side of the bed."

http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/671183...wrangler-pickup-concept-to-dealers/index.html

This sounds a lot like the 2005 concept, the Jeep Gladiator

Given Chrysler's lack of resources right now, I expect the pickup will use the same engine and transmission as the 2012 Wrangler. That would include the new 3.6L V6, which produces a lot more HP and torque than the current 3.7L V6.

Sweet! I was hoping it would have an extended bed. The JT concept looked ridiculous with the short overhang, and that bed length isn't as useable as a regular pickup's

Jblankster

i want to see either a J8/JT style truck (no seperated bed, but still seperate cab/bed if that makes sense) with a swing away tire carrier, and a fold down tail gate (insted of swing away like they are). OR a Jeep Nukizer 715/J8 mix. basically a J8 but with the Nukizer bed, split from the cab also and of course a swing out tire carrier with fold down gate

and a diesel.

bridman225

J8/jt

Just give me the Jeep JT! A J8/diesel version of the same would be that much better.

My personal dream is a J8/JT with which i can use either the half hard top or an AT Fip pac with completely open rear access. I can dream...

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I think it was on jalopnik that I was reading last week they are going to release a truck similar to the '05 Gladiator concept. That is/was a nice truck, I hope they don't ugly-it-up too much for the mass market.

inked33

Adventurer
i want to see either a J8/JT style truck (no seperated bed, but still seperate cab/bed if that makes sense) with a swing away tire carrier, and a fold down tail gate (insted of swing away like they are). OR a Jeep Nukizer 715/J8 mix. basically a J8 but with the Nukizer bed, split from the cab also and of course a swing out tire carrier with fold down gate

and a diesel.

river raider built a jk unlimited into a truck with no seprate bed but still sealing off the cab from the bed area. i beleive they called it the raider st? i know you can find pictures on their website http://riverraider.biz/index.php?ma...ducts_id=163&zenid=8s7hi2v818a6s0uhtgq821nig1

theres also a build thread on www.jkowners.com if i remember right

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
The YJ was probably the last TRUE utilitarian Jeep with AC and power steering being the only creature comforts there were.

I have to disagree. The YJ couldn't carry anything compared to an XJ. Yeah it had a few more bells and whistles but they are very utilitarian. Especially if you have one with manual windows like me! :D

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I have to disagree. The YJ couldn't carry anything compared to an XJ. Yeah it had a few more bells and whistles but they are very utilitarian. Especially if you have one with manual windows like me! :D

I see both sides of this coin... Let's split the difference and say within each type or class of Jeep the XJ and YJ were the last.

That said, in the "universal" class the TJ is not that more "cush" than a YJ.

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
I see both sides of this coin... Let's split the difference and say within each type or class of Jeep the XJ and YJ were the last.

That said, in the "universal" class the TJ is not that more "cush" than a YJ.

I'll settle with that. After all, all three of them are jeeps, just two of them are quite barbie like! :D

locrwln

Expedition Leader
This morning, Pickuptrucks.com and FourWheeler.com are reporting that the Jeep pickup concept has been approved for production in the third quarter of 2011, and will be sold as a 2012 model.

FourWheeler.com has a good description of the model shown to dealers two days ago:

"Identical to the Wrangler from the B-pillar forward, the teaser had a small quarter window behind the front door and there will be some storage behind the front seats.

Unlike the J8/Sarge this pickup had a true bed with a gap between it and the cab.

The Unlimited-based pickup is said to retain the JK's link-coil suspension.

In order to maintain pickup proportions and keep a useable bed length, the JK pickup did have an extended rear overhang and like the Gladiator, this concept had the spare tire mounted to the side of the bed."

http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/671183...wrangler-pickup-concept-to-dealers/index.html

This sounds a lot like the 2005 concept, the Jeep Gladiator

gladiator2005.jpg

Given Chrysler's lack of resources right now, I expect the pickup will use the same engine and transmission as the 2012 Wrangler. That would include the new 3.6L V6, which produces a lot more HP and torque than the current 3.7L V6.

That is the vehicle that will replace my FZJ80 when it comes to be (if it does in fact come to fruition). I love the idea of a small sized truck with a straight axles/lockers, add a FWC and Jack will be a happy boy. Let's get the build on Jeep. :drool:

Jack

cocco78

Adventurer
This would be awesome of they actually built it, not awesome for me as I'll never be able to afford one. :drool:

The thing that will kill it if they do build it is they won't put a motor in it other than the V6. How frickin' hard would it be to put a 4.7L V8 in it even!! Or the Hemi for that matter. To bad for us we will never see a diesel in this country ever.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
This would be awesome of they actually built it, not awesome for me as I'll never be able to afford one. :drool:

The thing that will kill it if they do build it is they won't put a motor in it other than the V6. How frickin' hard would it be to put a 4.7L V8 in it even!! Or the Hemi for that matter. To bad for us we will never see a diesel in this country ever.

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!
You are the 1 billionth person to beg Jeep for a Diesel! Welcome to our club. Now if only Feep would pull its collective cranium out from their 5th point of contact and get it DONE!!!*Bangs head-Bangs head*

madizell

Explorer
Of all of the pickup concepts shown, to my eye the Nukizer is by far the best both in looks and in execution. As built, Dynapro axles, ARB's, Atlas II T-case, 38 inch tires, what else could you want in an off-road capable device? The build list looks remarkably like the build list on the car I built to race in the Outback. The exception is the diesel engine, which I don't especially like for off road use except for plonking along trails. With nothing more than a modest Ford V-8, I have outperformed all sorts of diesels, NA and turbo both, when driving aggressively. All the grunt in the world won't get you up the hill if you can not also turn the tires at a relatively high rate when needed.

I like the Cummins in my Dodge Ram 2500. It will pull a 17,000 pound GVW combo right down the interstate and get 14mpg doing it. To get that kind of power, however, you have to accommodate one of the longest straight 6 motors going, not to mention that the motor weighs half as much as a VW Bug. The problem I have with small displacement diesel is that it simply does not do as much work as a small block V-8, and for off road use, fuel economy is not my first consideration.

So, put the Hemi V-8 in the Nukizer, find a different name ( I get the "New Kaiser" part, but most folks won't -- my '68 CJ-5 is a Kaiser, most think it is a Willys, and when I point out it was built by Kaiser, they say "Huh? Never heard of it.") The problem Jeep has with any of these concepts is that once built they have to sell them globally, and as there are any number of highly successful off road capable utility vehicles on the planet built better than anything offered by Jeep, I suspect Jeep won't be able to capture enough market share to warrant the cost, which I suspect is what has held them back all these years.

As far as one comment posted above about Jeep being able to build such concepts basically off the shelf but we can't buy them, I would suggest that isn't true. They built one, so can you. Problem is that you would spend about as much as they did, and they have way deeper pockets. My CJ-7 cost me $50K ready to race, and it is not as well put together as the Nukizer to be frank. I would hate to guess what it cost to build that vehicle, and therein lies the reason you and I would have trouble building one. If you can put a V-10 Viper engine in a TJ, the sky is the limit on what can be built -- if you have the cash.

I just think that the Nukizer concept vehicle is really sharp, and was built with some of the best parts out there. Obviously Jeep can build off road vehicles when it puts its mind to it.

cocco78

Adventurer
The cool part about the Nukizer is that front clip could basically be bolted on a JK or J8, kind of a niche market tho. But it could be a neat addition to the mopar parts catalog. I also think just the option of a 2 door lwb JK with a half cab would be great! I'm really hoping to find a salvage or theft recovery TJ to build my own pickup, you can buy Brute parts from AEV A'la carte so you could do it over time. Or in case the only thing I would buy from them would be the half cab and the cab close out.

That VM CRD in the Nukizer seemed to move it really well from the video's i've seen online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger