Opinion Please

Rudyesparza83

Hey guys I noticed by the upper corner of the windshield there was clear sealant and rust forming where the water channel meets the roof. And when I arrived, I saw the owner take a can of R134-A. I asked him how the air conditioner works and he said perfect. Then he told me that he has driven this car all of the world and he has put a lot of money into it.

I did a carfax and it shows that he bought it from an auction as a flip. Which honestly I don't care, everyone needs to make money. But, I just didn't like the dishonesty.

370HSSV

Usually if it's maintained by a Toyota dealer, you can check the maintenance record on Toyota owner website, just need the vin. Carfax showed no records at all for a Tacoma I got last year, but Toyota website showed everything they did to the truck, thankfully it was very well maintained for me.
Couple spots for rust when I was shopping for a 100 series, the rear sub frame is a common place, one I looked at had a hole in it while pretty much everything else looks decent but surface rust, then around windshield and sunroof.
Of course the timing belt, water pump are a common item are these every 100k miles or so if i remember right. I didn't end up getting a 100 series.
You can also check slee and ih8mud for more specific to 100 series for beginner guide.

Rudyesparza83

Usually if it's maintained by a Toyota dealer, you can check the maintenance record on Toyota owner website, just need the vin. Carfax showed no records at all for a Tacoma I got last year, but Toyota website showed everything they did to the truck, thankfully it was very well maintained for me.
Couple spots for rust when I was shopping for a 100 series, the rear sub frame is a common place, one I looked at had a hole in it while pretty much everything else looks decent but surface rust, then around windshield and sunroof.
Of course the timing belt, water pump are a common item are these every 100k miles or so if i remember right. I didn't end up getting a 100 series.
You can also check slee and ih8mud for more specific to 100 series for beginner guide.
Do you think is an issue?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey guys,

My buddy is thinking about selling his 2001 Lexus LX470. I know every truck has its flaws, what should I be looking for in this model?

It has arb bumpers, warn winch, arb intensity lights, slee scrape plates, total chaos control arms with icon suspension. Sliders. Arb half roof rack. Etc

235k miles. Pretty clean though. Seats look good.

What is the fair market price for something like this? I have always owned jeeps as toys. I have a 2022 gx460. But I can’t bring myself to lift that. So, I’m looking for a weekend warrior.

Stay clear of it if you aren't a wrencher with those miles. Next, I would be very hesitant to buy any 20 year old vehicle with overlanding bling attached, to me that translates to hard driving, most likely some abuse the vehicle wasn't built for. The owner modified the vehicle for an unintended purpose.

It's NOT a truck, it's a Sport Utility Vehicle, you might have a station wagon on a truck frame, but it's not a truck! It may be capable of crawling over rocky terrain but it was never built or intended to.

It might be worth more in salvage selling off parts, as a vehicle to drive I wouldn't pay more than $7K for it and at that it better be a beauty with that history.

Edited: walk away, in fact don't walk, run! I didn't see the post ^.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Stay clear of it if you aren't a wrencher with those miles. Next, I would be very hesitant to buy any 20 year old vehicle with overlanding bling attached, to me that translates to hard driving, most likely some abuse the vehicle wasn't built for. The owner modified the vehicle for an unintended purpose.

It's NOT a truck, it's a Sport Utility Vehicle, you might have a station wagon on a truck frame, but it's not a truck! It may be capable of crawling over rocky terrain but it was never built or intended to.

It might be worth more in salvage selling off parts, as a vehicle to drive I wouldn't pay more than $7K for it and at that it better be a beauty with that history.

Edited: walk away, in fact don't walk, run! I didn't see the post ^.
It’s was more built to crawl over rocky terrain than any F150 ever was.

370HSSV

Do you think is an issue?
Hard to see with the weather striping in the way, but judging from the picture, I am not sure if it's gonna look any better under the weather stripe. To completely fix the rust around windshield, you have to take it out, and require decent amount of work of cutting off old pieces and put in new metal. Check ih8mud for that.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it for 14k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online