Opinion Please

nickw

Adventurer

Just one of the examples šŸ˜
Join the crowd with all the Dodge pickups, Mercedes sedans, Volvo's, Fords, etc. Being "MADE" to do it and managing to get there is very different besides that isn't even Landcruiser in that article you posted:

3m mile Dodge:

1m mile Crown Vic:

So no, Toyota is not "made" to do it anymore than the ones I just posted are, if the determining factor is showing some have. The vast majority of Toyota's won't get 500k miles, Landcruiser or not.

I think the best example of consistent high mileage vehicles are Euro cars, in particular the Merc 240Ds.

HUMMER/Expeditions

Join the crowd with all the Dodge pickups, Mercedes sedans, Volvo's, Fords, etc. Being "MADE" to do it and managing to get there is very different besides that isn't even Landcruiser in that article you posted:

3m mile Dodge:

1m mile Crown Vic:

So no, Toyota is not "made" to do it anymore than the ones I just posted are, if the determining factor is showing some have. The vast majority of Toyota's won't get 500k miles, Landcruiser or not.

I think the best example of consistent high mileage vehicles are Euro cars, in particular the Merc 240Ds.
Even if the Toyota wonā€™t make it to million miles itā€™s still far better build vehicle and has the potential to do so.

The vehicles with high mileage you mentioned are all diesel.
of course they will go longer miles.

But Toyota engines are very robust built,
my 2017 Tacoma I bought it brand new, I have only opened the hood to check oil, 125.000 miles now.
My FZJ 80 had 325.000 miles when I sold it, beautiful driving machine.

lucilius

While there are some bad vehicles & components out there, and this is anecdotal, the key problem with most cars for the last decade or two seems to emerge from cheaply manufactured electronics, complicated engineering needed to deal with byzantine regulations and the predictable increase in complexity & cost needed to keep these contraptions on the road. One would think that the [formerly known as reliable] European luxury car manufacturers would be addressing these issues head-on.......with US manufacturers and others not far behind given that many reputations are now in the untouchable & unreliable class with anyone who doesn't lease or otherwise expect to get a new vehicle every 2-3 years. Toyota does a decent job keeping things relatively simple for the most part and they are not known for jumping on the latest fad and this alone helps with longevity and maintenance be it a mechanical or electrical parts. I see more GX 460/470 on the road all the time. Owners seem to love them and the main critique in the auto reviews is that they lack features and regular updates...all plusses to me. If you know the seller and the vehicle and can handle the maintenance (or pay for the mechanic), I'd seriously consider it. (I am looking for a decent low mileage 460 right now myself, hopefully can find a 19 or 20 Premium without the air suspension.)

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Itā€™s was more built to crawl over rocky terrain than any F150 ever was.
Agreed and I don't try to use an F-150 to crawl over rocky terrain.
However, a local lime quarry operation not far from me uses F-150s in the quarry, mostly hauling equipment and crew, they travel that area over rocky steps cut out of the walls of the quarry, but, oh my, not a Lexus in sight.

Given enough money, I'm sure I could turn any manufactured vehicle, car or truck, into a rock crawler.

Think you got your vehicles messed up, trucks are made for working, they are expected to drive over all kinds of terrain, SUVs are primarily mall crawlers for the girls, the Lexus being one at the top of that list.

Pretty sure there are more F-150's going over rocky trails, roads and fields, doing what they were built for, more than any Lexus SUV.

That was just a stupid statement, if you need to dig at me, you can do better than that with just a little thought......LOL

F-150, 1.3 million miles, but it is still going and Fords are cheaper to maintain than a Lexus or Toyota.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Even if the Toyota wonā€™t make it to million miles itā€™s still far better build vehicle and has the potential to do so.

The vehicles with high mileage you mentioned are all diesel.
of course they will go longer miles.

But Toyota engines are very robust built,
my 2017 Tacoma I bought it brand new, I have only opened the hood to check oil, 125.000 miles now.
My FZJ 80 had 325.000 miles when I sold it, beautiful driving machine.
The Crown vic I showed was not a diesel but very very few gasoline (Toyota or otherwise), I can't say none, will go near as long as a diesel in general. But it comes down to ability to rebuild, residual vehicle price (if it's cost beneficial to rebuild), parts availability and ease of repairs to get high mile rigs in general, many have been rebuilt.

I'd argue the 80's have seen their day and that day has passed, OEM parts are drying up across the board and they can't be serviced at Toyota dealerships like they could.

I don't think 125k miles is anything special, we had a BMW X5 Diesel with 140k on the clock, zero issues....great rig.

I think what Toyotas did well (not convinced it's the same these days) is handle neglect well and were generally rudimentary in their design so easy to repair relative to their counterparts.

All that is coming from a Toyota fan, I grew up around mini-trucks in the 80/90s, owned a really nice 2001 Tacoma, owned a 78' FJ40 and we are going to buy a new 2024/25 GX but when you look close you see a lot of high mileage rigs that are not Toyota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online