Overland Training Alumni Baja Adventure

gjackson

FRGS
Thanks for making the Flickr group Nick. I've also shared the contact list with everyone.

Great pics so far!

cheers

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Did you get stuck when it was light or after dark?

After dark but that has absolutely nothing to do with the "why" of it all.
Besides I am running three 10" Rigid LED lightbars on the front and three 6" bars around the sides and back..it is daytime all the time :)

The stuck was due to my lack of knowledge of lockable front hubs matched to an ARB air locker and what to do when a hub fails.
Luckly we had some very smart people who were gentle with me and between airing down even more and a quick tug by another rig we were driving around just fine on the beach.

I am also still getting a feel for the proper tire deflation for each trail condition. This was my first time in a Sportsmobile on a soft sand beach and my first air down wasn't enough.

Again night time had nothing to do with the incident, I run at night all the time and love it..Arizona, Mexico and many other places around the world. Of course that refers to trail driving, on the highway is way different.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
After dark but that has absolutely nothing to do with the "why" of it all.

My hunch is that Joaquin was injecting a little humor (sarcasm. . . like the whole banditos thing) or merely commenting on the mysterious phenomenon that once darkness falls on Baja, chance and coincidence seem to slide into another dimension and weird things can happen :)

Fantastic report and images, gentlemen! Some of those photos are really superb and very fun. Wow, it makes me miss Baja so much. I wish I could have made the trip with you guys (and gal, Connie!) I do feel sorry for Connie, hopefully she didn't have to endure too much testosterone poisoning and smelly BO (considering it's winter, and all).

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few images.

P1000147.JPG

P1000124.JPG

P1000015.JPG

P1000148.JPG

My NX650 performed flawlessly, only limited by its rider!
However I did roll home with the skidplate and a few of the plastic fairings held on by zip-ties.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
And here are a couple more images, taken by paul.

This is the 100 yard water crossing on Mission Impossible!
IMG_0254.jpg

And here is the road from Cocos to Gonzaga Bay, portions of the Baja race course ran along the main road and were one of the top three areas we got to ride!
IMG_0283.jpg

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
About halfway through the trip we decided to stop using the GPS and maps and began using this newly advance topographical map!

IMG_0261.jpg

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
LOL!! I didn't know Frodo was Overland Certified.

Very cool pictures Brian. I was hoping there would be some pics of the trek to Mision Santa Maria. Any more? Did any of the trucks do it?

How about photos of the pictos?

Any video from that headcam?

Those tacos look soooooooo good. :chef:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
That certainly explains the noises coming from Jeremy's tent :)

Alright, I'm reluctant to admit this in a public forum, but I've actually slept in a tent with Jeremy, in Mexico. All I can say is thank goodness Eezi-Awn makes tents larger than the 1200. . . and earplugs are mandatory. :)

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Chris,

Paul in his Scout, myself in the Taco, Troy & Travis in the Rubicon all went into the Mission & back out with no problems.

Al

D

Deleted member 9101

man, every time i read one of these topics it makes me want to move out west and build a 4 x 4...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman