Petersons Ultimate Adventure Tundra

01tundra

Explorer
Nice!!!!

Bent sliders. You must have landed hard!!! Any compressed vertabraes? :eek:

I'm adding a few more supports to them and they should be all good.......I had to beat on the passenger side slider with a sledge hammer for about 30 minutes last night so the back door would open again.......:)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
well put together truck....if you wanted to though I think you could get her flexing a lot better.

winkosmosis

Explorer
I don't understand "Ultimate Adventure". The name implies expedition, but the vehicles are all short range rock crawlers that they take on short trips. What's the deal?

01tundra

Explorer
well put together truck....if you wanted to though I think you could get her flexing a lot better.

I could definitely make it flex more, but IMO there's no real point. Once my front leafs wear out I will 3-link the front with 14" coilovers. Right now it's set up for a good balance of on & off-road performance, dependabilty, ride, stability. I can make it do really great at one or two of those things, or make it do pretty good at all.

01tundra

Explorer
I don't understand "Ultimate Adventure". The name implies expedition, but the vehicles are all short range rock crawlers that they take on short trips. What's the deal?

So adventure = expedition? Well, this is not an expedition (per se) event. It's a 7-day trip ranging anywhere from 1,500 - 2,500 miles of non-stop movement though. You have to remember that the terrain they make you go through is extremely aggressive, not only does your rig have to make it through a long day of extreme abuse (sometimes starting early morning and not ending until late at night), but it also has to be in proper working order by around 6:00 AM the next morning to drive 300-700 miles to the next spot. In between all the fun trying to keep your vehicle together, you have to provide your own food while camping in the middle of nowhere, and any other essentials you may need.

And you are correct, "most" of the vehicles are not set up for long range and are more like undercover (or not) rock/race buggies. Mine is probably the most set up for expedition, so I had more of a challenge in the super aggressive terrain than the comp guys........but we were comfortable and didn't have to stop every 150 miles for fuel either. A lot of the rigs are trailered to the starting point and trailered home from the finish, some are not. In 2008 we put over 4,600 miles on our truck in 7 days (very, very hard miles), this year was 2,500 since it was on the right side of the country for us. Keep in mind this is my daily driver that gets me to work everyday also.

Expedition, probably not.........extremely difficult triathlon is more like it......

Last edited:

EXP-T100

Adventurer

Another word on this to help you under stand. the Ultimate Adventure is put on by Petersons 4wheel and off road magazine. they have been doing it for what 11yrs now. Imagine the Camel Trophy on steroids and that's the UA :costumed-smiley-007.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I could definitely make it flex more, but IMO there's no real point. Once my front leafs wear out I will 3-link the front with 14" coilovers. Right now it's set up for a good balance of on & off-road performance, dependabilty, ride, stability. I can make it do really great at one or two of those things, or make it do pretty good at all.

I figured there was a good reason it didn't flex a ton. I like the "make it do good at all" myself too which is why I also have a full bodied truck. Buggies really just good for one thing...rock crawling on nice days. :)

winkosmosis

Explorer
So adventure = expedition? Well, this is not an expedition (per say) event. It's a 7-day trip ranging anywhere from 1,500 - 2,500 miles of non-stop movement though. You have to remember that the terrain they make you go through is extremely aggressive, not only does your rig have to make it through a long day of extreme abuse (sometimes starting early morning and not ending until late at night), but it also has to be in proper working order by around 6:00 AM the next morning to drive 300-700 miles to the next spot. In between all the fun trying to keep your vehicle together, you have to provide your own food while camping in the middle of nowhere, and any other essentials you may need.

An you are correct, "most" of the vehicles are not set up for long range and are more like undercover (or not) rock/race buggies. Mine is probably the most set up for expedition, so I had more of a challenge in the super aggressive terrain than the comp guys........but we were comfortable and didn't have to stop every 150 miles for fuel either. A lot of the rigs are trailered to the starting point and trailered home from the finish, some are not. In 2008 we put over 4,600 miles on our truck in 7 days (very, very hard miles), this year was 2,500 since it was on the right side of the country for us. Keep in mind this is my daily driver that gets me t work everyday also.

Expedition, probably not.........extremely difficult triathlon is more like it......
That does sound like an expedition though, the kind you do in America. Not the trailered rigs though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears