Pics of your VAN! Post up!

dcguillory

Adventurer
Hello all! My name is Ernie, and I just picked this up a few weeks ago. It's an '87 E350 with the gas sipping 460. The previous, previous owner installed the roof rack and matching steps and ladder. He also installed that tank up there, and ran propane lines to the heater and fridge he also installed. I need to finish the interior with a stove, microwave and figure out what I want to do for a sink and water supply.

This will be a slow work in progress over the next few years with hopes of hitting the road after I retire. I've been pretty stoked seeing what all of y'all are doing with your rigs, and hoping to pick up a lot of pointers. Cheers!

vvv hopefully the attachments uploaded vvv

View attachment 253027

View attachment 253028

Looks Aawesome! However, a clever van is must so stay on it!

mikracer

Adventurer
Yeah, there are a lot of ford vans out there but when you start getting specific as to what options you want the supply can drop significantly.
I realized early on that not only are you looking for the right vehicle you are looking for the right seller. This played a big role in my purchase. The seller was clear about known issues, sent (tons of) pics and service records promptly. Most dealers I contact regarding vehicles didn't have as good of a response. Some (2) said the price was a typo right off the bat.
I used feeds from craigslist (using search tempest is how I found this one), and the popular e trader sites, with specific key words. If I didn't want to overwhelm my inbox I had to keep up with reviewing them. In the end it took less time per day than surfing those sites.
Fact is, I waited 3 days before responding to this one dismissing it because it was tan interior, higher miles than I wanted, and 2500 miles away.
I came to my senses and compromised as this was the second 05-06 chateau v10 I had seen in six months the other being green/tan with 104k and a sliding side door for around the same price.
I have less than $13.5k into it with transportation and local sales tax. :)

I got 12-12.5 mpg dropping to 11 in windy and steep Wyoming doing 80+
I don't expect the mileage to be much worse than the 2000 tundra 4.7 I'm coming from, at the same time there is really no shortage of power with the v10.
Considering a 5 star tune for mpg alone as this will be my daily driver.

I'm interested to see what you come up with for your rear sleeping area build out. I have basically the same van as you (05 Chateau, V10, no leather, 4:10 LSD) and have recently considered selling it to get a different van with a pop top already installed. Not sure I'm going to go that route, but if I keep it, my plan is to lift it, keeping it 2wd, and build a sleeping platform in the back for camping trips.

draaronr

Adventurer
Let me know if you go the sell route please.
I'm interested to see what you come up with for your rear sleeping area build out. I have basically the same van as you (05 Chateau, V10, no leather, 4:10 LSD) and have recently considered selling it to get a different van with a pop top already installed. Not sure I'm going to go that route, but if I keep it, my plan is to lift it, keeping it 2wd, and build a sleeping platform in the back for camping trips.

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
Last Night

P26Nmwe.jpg

Stephan

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Stripe removal in progress. Any suggestions on getting the baked on residue off?
9ced7956fe53f9c30a9acd629a089b60.jpg
34e2b641fe77a290725828973b98a4cf.jpg
db0741f37f60eccd68baf054af4f5b01.jpg
98b995d0c809f9cf954cabea6f4b99d0.jpg
0bc0d5f37e9e12ca1ff27cca658bdb4f.jpg

Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!

Neighbor told me about a pinstripe removal wheel that buffed them right off... He described it as a rubber 'eraser' that spun in a drill or something and took it off without a mark. Don't know if it'd work for dried on graphics.

Here's one Google found...http://www.astrotools.com/default.aspx?toolsnum=500ARS&

Last edited:

Toolman

Explorer
The eraser wheel needs to be used in the appropriate pneumatic tool with correct speed of 4000 RPM . If spun to fast or slow bad happens, you can burn the paint if you stay too long in one spot, however it should work.
If rubber wheel is used in normal die grinder @ 18000 RPM it will fly apart and embed itself into skin. I've seen the after math, it's not pretty,. use safety goggles
Astro Pneumatic Tool

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...AKk-S1MJuzbPRSnbaklxemWSbA9zC6qg8ihoCvFvw_wcB

89s rule

Adventurer
I used it with a drill and it worked fine as long as you used a name brand wheel. The china knockoffs were horrible and gummed up on the van.
Only issue after the wheel is sun fade I haven't tried to buff or wet sand yet. But my paint isn't perfect so I'm not In a huge rush. I used to be really particular about that stuff but add 4 kids around any car and it's going to get scratched. Now I just try to minimize it.

Jb1rd

Explorer
I too used a drill, however, I finished the job with the knock off brand and they worked every bit as good! Now I just need to try and buff it out.
I used it with a drill and it worked fine as long as you used a name brand wheel. The china knockoffs were horrible and gummed up on the van.
Only issue after the wheel is sun fade I haven't tried to buff or wet sand yet. But my paint isn't perfect so I'm not In a huge rush. I used to be really particular about that stuff but add 4 kids around any car and it's going to get scratched. Now I just try to minimize it.

QCAuto

Observer
Very nice rides. I love those trim erasers, just keep speed low to avoid paint burn, also get the 3m, never had paint fade though

Bigred455

Re: Sticker Removal

I have had a bit of experience removing old and dried out stickers...

E39WagonDay1.jpg

The stickers had been on the car for over 10 years and severely baked onto the paint. I used the 3M eraser kit with a variable speed die grinder, as far as I'm concerned that is the key. I tried a drill and it spins to fast and will easily overheat the paint on extremely stubborn stickers. If you are removing something relatively fresh it should be fine though. Now on this car I used a heat gun as well and I could only get the vinyl off. The glue residue was so baked on it wouldn't come off. I stopped, then and after 2 months of driving around in the sun, the glue residue came off with the use of Acrysol and a plastic razor blade like nothing. The car looks just as it should now.

E39WagonStickersGone2.jpg

E39WagonStickersGone1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears