Post pictures of your Land Rover.

Canol 109

Observer
One of mine

I have a 1991 x-MoD 110 Defender with a 300TDi and this is the other one that I am rebuilding...a 1955 Series 1 86".

Hope to be done by the summer.

image048.jpg
image006.jpg
image033.jpg

Attachments

• image040.jpg
    image040.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

bullcrew

Observer
p4pb7798781.jpg

p4pb7783535.jpg

3xaround

Could you post more info on the Importation process, fees, how did you go about picking this particular car, do you mind sharing the price??? I'm very interested in doing something similar, I didn't see any info on your blog.

Certainly (blog is still growing slowly at the moment)

I knew that I was after a base vehicle that had some key items sorted out, with a "rough" interior/cosmetics so that I could build up the interior to suit my needs without paying for and having to dispose of somebody else's effort.

My critical items in order were:
One Ten SW (5-door station wagon - over 25 years old for importation)
Tdi Diesel Engine for mileage (300Tdi or 200Tdi)
ROW configuration (Left Hand Drive)

The want to have items were:
upgraded driveline - 24 spline - did get this
Rear disc brake conversion - did get this
Extended range fuel tanks - did not get this
center console - did not get this

Step one was to read all the rover forums for warnings and references. I looked for the best contacts and reached out to a handful of folks with my wish list and a price range. Knowing what you are after, and where you can compromise will help considerably. I looked into three different trucks before I found the one I purchased. The importer I used was able to get the truck through customs with very little difficulty and ensured that the vehicle was shipped via container. Base cost for the truck was negotiated directly with the UK seller and I am happy with the price paid for what I recieved. My very specific wish list limited the amount of vehicles I could choose from. If you have a less restrictive list you may find lower prices. Cost for importer services, container shipping from the UK, US import taxes, and customs fees amounted to $3k - and I would happily recommend my importer. Expect to pay anywhere between $5k and $30K for a base Defender depending on age, condition, mileage, engine, drive side, etc...

I'm into the truck for around $15k and expect to spend another $10 to complete it - doing most of the work myself. The beauty of the Defender is that the truck is a collection of simple parts held together by nuts, bolts, and rivets. Only a few specialized tools are required, and outside of the limited in-stock parts availability in the USA, most everything is available at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the question and I am happy to answer any specifics in detail.

Brian
www.3xaround.com

Last edited:

khronus79

Adventurer
Brian, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. Looking forward to read the updates on your blog.
Certainly (blog is still growing slowly at the moment)

I knew that I was after a base vehicle that had some key items sorted out, with a "rough" interior/cosmetics so that I could build up the interior to suit my needs without paying for and having to dispose of somebody else's effort.

My critical items in order were:
One Ten SW (5-door station wagon - over 25 years old for importation)
Tdi Diesel Engine for mileage (300Tdi or 200Tdi)
ROW configuration (Left Hand Drive)

The want to have items were:
upgraded driveline - 24 spline - did get this
Rear disc brake conversion - did get this
Extended range fuel tanks - did not get this
center console - did not get this

Step one was to read all the rover forums for warnings and references. I looked for the best contacts and reached out to a handful of folks with my wish list and a price range. Knowing what you are after, and where you can compromise will help considerably. I looked into three different trucks before I found the one I purchased. The importer I used was able to get the truck through customs with very little difficulty and ensured that the vehicle was shipped via container. Base cost for the truck was negotiated directly with the UK seller and I am happy with the price paid for what I recieved. My very specific wish list limited the amount of vehicles I could choose from. If you have a less restrictive list you may find lower prices. Cost for importer services, container shipping from the UK, US import taxes, and customs fees amounted to $3k - and I would happily recommend my importer. Expect to pay anywhere between $5k and $30K for a base Defender depending on age, condition, mileage, engine, drive side, etc...

I'm into the truck for around $15k and expect to spend another $10 to complete it - doing most of the work myself. The beauty of the Defender is that the truck is a collection of simple parts held together by nuts, bolts, and rivets. Only a few specialized tools are required, and outside of the limited in-stock parts availability in the USA, most everything is available at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the question and I am happy to answer any specifics in detail.

Brian
www.3xaround.com

rustyjames

Observer
Took the 90 out for a few hours this weekend. Crappy iphone pics.

Attachments

• D90 Outdoors.JPG
    D90 Outdoors.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 13
  • D90 Out 2.JPG
    D90 Out 2.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior