Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I am trying to keep it going. My old '42 willys is getting total rehash so if you need build fix you might check that one out too :)

The DoItAll will probably never be 'done', if you run out of ideas to improve it it's for sale right......

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have a lead on a replacement set of tires by San Bernardino, Ca. Is anyone in that area watching this thread, love the build, and want to help me? I need someone to pick up the tires and help with the shipping back to Colorado. I can pay for the help....

Thank you.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you. I will try and keep some new stuff coming to keep everyone entertained......

Its warm enough to paint again so I can finish up the doors and cowl. I do have to say that the amount of solid color is a little overwhelming. I might have to break it up some black rockers, hood blister, or something.

enafzige

I have a lead on a replacement set of tires by San Bernardino, Ca. Is anyone in that area watching this thread, love the build, and want to help me? I need someone to pick up the tires and help with the shipping back to Colorado. I can pay for the help....

I just saw this thread today for the first!! I skimmed through the 40 pages quickly, so forgive me if I missed it.

Are you looking for another set of 325/85/16 Michelin XMLs? If so, there's a guy near Atlanta that has a few sets right now for $795.

Great build!!! --Eric

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hi Aaron! have you been watching the thread the whole time?
I might have found a set cheaper and closer.
I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the offer.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I had a few minutes in the shop the other day....

I made a new PTO cover with a raised angled fill port for the transmission. I have had really good luck ( knock on wood ) with the Getrag 5-spd since I started overfilling it a little bit. Its always been a pain to overfill since there is really no port to do so. I had been pulling the top most bolt on the PTO cover and using a small hose and pump to inject the fluid. Generally this has always been a pain in the rear. The Getrag uses thin motor oil weight fluids so just pouring it in from a quart container is an option.

IMAGE_166.jpg

I traced the PTO cover from my SM420 that is going into my Willys as a pattern onto some scrap 3/8" aluminum. Then I cut it out on the band saw and rounded the corners with a belt sander.

IMAGE_167.jpg

I then drilled the 6 mounting holes and test fit it on the SM420 to make sure everything lined up correctly. I added a large fill port towards the top with a 45 degree fitting and plug. The idea is that I can use a funnel or pour quart sized containers right in the top. For a level, if you pull the left top side mounting bolt ( when looking at the cover on the truck) that seems to be just about the 4.5-5 quart level on my truck.

Just a simple improvement.....

I'll get it on the truck soon. I need to pick up another PTO cover gasket.

bftank

Explorer
when i had my nv5600 i just pulled the shifter to fill it. don't know how that would work with the getrag though. i always like the idea of having a sight tube to see what the oil level was at like on the atlas transfercases.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I had thought about adding a sight tube. I even bought some fittings and stuff at the store one day that are still in a bag in the truck. The only thing I don't like about the sight tube is that it adds a failure point to the transmission.

It would be just my luck that a stick would bounce up in there and rip the tube off the transmission. All the oil would dribble out without me noticing. Then the transmission frys when I get back on the highway....

I decided to just keep it really simple.

I have read about pulling the shifter out. I never tried doing it that way.

I want to make a little screw on funnel for the fill port out of some pipe fittings. Then I can fill with one hand really easy. Pulling the upper left bolt is about perfect for the level of the fluid. Simple Simple.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
100,000 views! Holy cow. I upgraded my photobucket to pro to keep the pictures live all the time.

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
100,000 views! Holy cow. I upgraded my photobucket to pro to keep the pictures live all the time.

Yessir! This is absolutely my favorite build on ExPo. Can't really articulate why, aside from the fact I just love a old truck, and I like Diesel. So this one really fits the bill!

:26_7_2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998