Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you very much, I hope I inspire some people to build some stuff. I don't have a lot of money in this project, but do have a decent amount of time. I hope the people reading this thread realize that you don't need to have a super fancy expensive vehicle to get out in the back country. I maybe have 5K in this truck on the outside. I realize that a lot of people don't have all the tools I have available, but I hope it inspires some people to build rather than buy things. I miss the off-road world of 15-20 years ago when you didn't have the super fancy bolt on catalogs available and everyone had to build there own junk.....:victory:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have a sneaking suspicion that my fuel pump is dying or dead.....

The truck always runs, but I just can't say it has ever run really strong. Lately I have convinced myself that the stock diaphram style fuel pump is giving up the ghost and/or has been for some time.

I don't really have a way to test this, I don't have any gauges in the truck which I think isn't really the smartest thing. Now...I don't like the idea of having a pillar full of glowing rings saying 'my truck is modded, race me' so I would like to keep extra stuff to a minimum.

Any opinions on this gauge from glowshift?

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/3in1...d-Exhaust-Temperature-and-Pressure-Gauge.aspx

3-in-1-PSI-large-web.jpg

I read a lot of reviews and they decent, though not perfect. The price seems right at $170. I really like the idea of having 3 gauges in one. Boost pressure, EGT, and fuel pressure are the big things I want to watch. All three of those would tell me something. Currently it would tell me if I am sucking my fuel pump down to 0 psi.

I'm not sure where I would mount it? I don't want to drill holes in the dash pad. I could mount it low below the radio or headlight switch, both not really ideal for keeping an eye on things. Sadly, I think a single gauge pillar mount might be the best. I just need to tuck it low and tight so everyone doesn't think I am a bomber diesel guy. This gauge above is 2 3/8" or 60mm in dia. It comes with a pod, maybe I can mount that low enough to the A-pillar trim piece.

I have always wanted to try some fiberglass, maybe I can make a mount?

I'm still not totally convinced on using that gauge.....

I did order.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ITEM# DESCRIPTION QTY TOTAL
BF-LONG-TAPPED BANJO BOLT - TAPPED ('98.5-'09, 5.9L & 1 $7.00
Ship Via: RESIDENTIAL GROUND SERVICE
BF-3963983 BANJO BOLT GASKET - INDIVIDUAL CUMMINS 2 $3.00
KIT-NPTTAP 1/8 NPT TAP KIT 1 $7.50

From Genos Garage. Glowshift offers a banjo bolt that looks like it would work for the fuel pressure gauge on the Cummins, but the Geno one has four flow ports instead of two. They are also larger diameter on the Genos.

I have read that in order to keep the pressure gauge reading consistent you need to install a pressure snubber between the fuel source and fuel pressure sender, line, gauge, or isolator depending on what system you have.

I found this at McMaster.....

3820kp1l.gif

3820K11 is the part number for a brass 1/8 npt female to 1/8" male pressure snubber with a .004 orifice.

So......need to order gauge(s) soon.......

I didn't take any pics, but I had an hour after work so I finally started building some front recovery points for the dodge. I planned for this when I built the front bumper by allowing space for a 5/16-3/8" plate to fit between the frame and bumper mounts.

I found some 5/16x4" bar scraps so I cut off two pieces. I then transfered the 3-bolt mounting pattern over and drilled them out. I drilled a 1.5" hole in the front corner of the plate that will allow me to weld in a small section of tube that is 1.5" OD, 1" ID, and 1" long. This will let me use up to a 7/8" shackle and down to a 5/8" without issue. The tube section gets welded into the bracket and forms an extremely strong unit without having to build them out of ultra thick plate.

I'll snap a pick when I weld it up. Hopefully I can install them this weekend with the PTO cover fill plate thingy....

SChandler

Adventurer
You could use one of the 2nd Gen Dodge steering column gauge mounts. From what I've read they are supposed to fit on the later 1st gen columns just fine. I think they are typically intended for 2 1/16" gauges, so a little sanding will be in order to make the Glow Shift gauge fit, but based on the stuff you've done so far, I'd say that's within your realm of capability. :sombrero:

SChandler

Adventurer
Should have finished reading your post before I wrote mine. I used the tapped banjo bolt from Geno's for my fuel pressure gauge sender. However, I went to Napa and put 30" of grease gun hose in between the tapped banjo bolt and the fuel pressure sender. I haven't had any problems with the gauge or needed a snubber to keep the sender alive. Plus, you don't want to mount the sender to the side of the motor. The vibrations will kill the senders (at least, that's what I was told). I replaced the bleeder screw above the fuel filter with the tapped banjo. It's a good place for the sender as it's after the fuel filter. With the sender after the filter, you can tell when the filter is getting plugged, because your pressure readings will be lower.

SChandler

Adventurer
SHHHHHHH, that is where the Isspro tach is going to go.....

Oops, didn't mean to give away all your secrets. Good choice on the Isspro, that's the tach (and boost and pyrometer that I have). It should plug into the factory harness without too much trouble.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I ordered up the pressure snubber this morning from McMaster.

I also got a $10 0-15psi pressure gauge, part number 3846k24. Finally I ordered a $12 36" long grease gun hose, part number 2044k44.

This should let me rig up a way to test the pressure on my pump. I can just run the line up to the mirror arm or something. Nothing a little duct tape won't help me figure out. I just wanted a cheap way to test pressure for right now. I am still going to order the glowshift 3 in 1 but I would rather put that $170 towards a low pressure piston lift pump conversion......

The little 'test' gauge will be handy for testing in the future, it will just go in the tool box/bag. I could also test boost pressure I guess, I am betting I am not making much at all. Rarely do I get a kick in the back as the motor comes alive. I've always been happy this motor starts, drives, and gets decent mileage.....but lately I have been thinking its fairly down on power overall. Its got 300,000+ miles on it now so I think its time to look at a few things.....fuel pressue and boost will tell me a lot. I live at 7000ft, but I think this truck is just a little too doggy. Time to find some more power.....

Last edited:

teleturns

Adventurer
This should let me rig up a way to test the pressure on my pump. I can just run the line up to the mirror arm or something. Nothing a little duct tape won't help me figure out. I just wanted a cheap way to test pressure for right now. I am still going to order the glowshift 3 in 1 but I would rather put that $170 towards a low pressure piston lift pump conversion......

Don't waste your money on the glowshift 3 in 1 gauge. My buddy has it and it is junk. The connection on the back doesn't fit right, it is impossible to read when it is sunny, and the EGT bottoms out at 400*F. I have some of the glow shift manual gauges and they work great. I would recommend going with seperate guages.

I just did the low pressure piston pump conversion. Didn't notice any difference. Now I need a guage to check the PSI. Hopefully we can meet up saturday and you can check it out.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the heads up on the glowshift. I heard the new version goes down lower than 400F. I'm still on the fence about one. It would be nice to have all that information in one place.

How about Autometer? I have close family that works for them, I think I could swing a discount.

Should I get something else? I just have a hard time dumping 100s into gauges.

The isspro tach is about the only one that will work with the dodge ECM unless you do a crank sensor or something right?

I think I need at least....

Fuel pressure
EGT
Boost

At least with the parts I ordered I can check fuel pressure.

I don't have much going Saturday, give me a call when you get in town.

teleturns

Adventurer
I have the isspro tach above the steering column with the 2nd gen mount from geno's. Make sure when you buy the tach you get the isspro harness too. It has a special resistor in line to assist with the 5 volt signal from the ECM. We tried everything to make our own harness and it would not work.

The deuche bag guys with their flat bills and their diesels with stupid stacks are a dime a dozen in the 4 corners area, so I understand about the racing thing. I have dark tent and I keep my gauges on the night red, so they are not flashy.

But after looking at the newer 3 in 1 glowshift I am starting to like it. I didn't realize it had fuel pressure. My buddies has boost, egt, and aux temp. DANG maybe if I would read the posts and not act like Mr. Knowitall!

I want one of those 3 in 1 gauges....I'll sell you my gauges real cheap!!!

I'll give you a call Saturday when I get into town

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up on the glowshift. I heard the new version goes down lower than 400F. I'm still on the fence about one. It would be nice to have all that information in one place.

How about Autometer? I have close family that works for them, I think I could swing a discount.

Should I get something else? I just have a hard time dumping 100s into gauges.

The isspro tach is about the only one that will work with the dodge ECM unless you do a crank sensor or something right?

I think I need at least....

Fuel pressure
EGT

my last dodge i ran autometeres from genos garage....I ordered the usual boost/tranny/egt and they would throw in the triple gauge pod for the a piller.

i would run them again no problems..
Boost

At least with the parts I ordered I can check fuel pressure.

I don't have much going Saturday, give me a call when you get in town.

Im going to second the glowshift gauges....

my lasted about 3 months... never again.

the tranny temp gauge lasted 6 and I triple checked the wiring. plus it was not accurate...

and yes I have put gauges in 3 different diesel trucks with no issues..including egt

SChandler

Adventurer
I really like my Isspro gauges, I have the tach, boost, and EGT. I have a Westach fuel pressure gauge that I'm not as fond of. It performs fine, but looks cheap. I got it instead of an Isspro because Isspro did not make an electric fuel pressure gauge at the time. Now they make one and it is difficult for me not to break out the credit card and order one up. My dad and I put one of the Isspro electric fuel pressure gauges in his 24v truck and it works well. Isspro manufactures in Portland, so I like that I'm supporting a local vendor. I've heard good things about the Autometer gauges, I don't think you can go wrong there.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How about this for a gauge set.....

2660_d.jpg

0-30psi electric fuel gauge, autometer Z-series, 2 1/16"

2654_d.jpg

1600 degree pyrometer/egt, with prope, autometer Z-series, 2 1/16"

2617_d.jpg

0-60psi, mechanical boost gauge, autometer z-series, 2 1/16"

They make a 0-15psi fuel gauge, but I figure it would be nice to have the ability to check for +20psi for injector pump front seal safety. I plan on running the low pressure piston pump soon, plus I have been looking at using the low pressure spring in the 2nd gen larger piston dia version. That is suppose to give tons of volume with safe rotary pump pressures.

I wish they made an electric boost gauge in this series, but running the line shouldn't be too big of a deal. I think having a boost gauge capable of handling future upgrades is good. I would like something with enough range to watch for the danger zone for head gaskets around 40psi in the future.

I will have to come up with something for mounting. I guess it might be time to try and make a pillar mount with some fiberglass. I just can't think of many other areas to mount the gauges that are basically in the line of sight and that doesn't require cutting the top of the dash up....

MMMMMmmmmm

SChandler

Adventurer
The Autometer's should treat you right. They should also match visually with the Isspro tach, so that's nice. I bought the 60 psi boost gauge for the same reason. I ran all of the wires and tubing (for the boost gauge) through one of the existing rubber plugs through the firewall. The one under the dash, kind of behind the e-brake pedal, with the big bundle of wires coming through it. It's easy to get to from the engine compartment side.

Here's what I did for gauges:

Picture003.jpg

It's a 2nd gen Dodge dash mount that I hacked the bracket off of. I then JB Welded a couple of sheetmetal scraps (that I bent into an L shape) to the gauge pod and used some stick on Velcro strips to hold it to the dash. It works ok, but the adhesive on the back of the Velcro melted some and the gauge holder has slid down the dash towards the windshield. At the time I only had 3 gauges so it worked ok. Now I have 4 and I need to do something else. I bought one of those cheap sheetmetal holders and I plan to bend up some sheetmetal to box it in some and use some double sided tape or cover the whole bottom with Velcro to hold it to the dash.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I installed the 'high-fill' PTO cover this evening after work. It ended up working sweet. I only got to take one pic and the camera died, I will get some more pics tomorrow after I pressure wash the transmission! HOLY cow did I forget that there is 300,000+ miles of road grim mixed with some oil leaks! I may need to move up the rebuild/reseal of the trans and t-case.

The new PTO cover worked great. I ended up making a gasket out of the back of an engineers tablet. I don't know how many times that stuff has saved my bacon. I just punched the holes with a .45apc case with a file sharpened lip. The outside was easy to cut with scissors. The inside I did holes in the corners and then connected the holes with an exacto knife. The gasket was free, didn't leak a drop.

As a note, the bolts on my 4-92 W250 dodge are NOT inch, they are metric. I found this way ODD for a PTO cover. Anyways, the correct bolts are M10, 1.5 pitch, 17mm head.

I also made a small plastic funnel to make the fill port even larger. Its angled an additional 45 degrees to make the top almost level. Pic later.

Once it was all together I was able to fill the tranny using quart bottles of oil. The getrag uses 5w-30 synthetic. With the upper left bolt pulled I got 4.75 quarts in before the oil weeped out the open bolt hole. This worked about prefect. I will probably make a small wire dipstick to check the level or something. I think I could also pull the fill plug and check it with my pinky too. I think the bottom of the fill plug is just about the correct 'overfill' level.

I also readjusted the valves last night. In my quest to diagnose my maybe imagined low power condition, I didn't want it being a factor. I found a few that where a little on the loose side...slightly...so I redid them. The truck runs better now I think.....its all so subjective.

My McMaster and Geno stuff should be here this week. It will be time to test fuel pressure and boost pressure then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan