Project "X-Max", Off-Road Expedition Style - The Ultimate Adventure Duramax

Nick.V70

Happy to anounce a new project -

The idea behind the build:
Growing up in an environment where camping was a frequent activity and the basis for just about every family vacation, it's only natural that it has carried over into my own family and I plan to continue this for years to come. Although loading up the wife and kids for a week-long trip to the sand dunes is always fun, I have become increasingly interested in traveling to unmarked and remote areas “off the grid”. As this interest continues to grow, I have come to the realization that the current camping set-up with a large travel trailer or toy hauler is not exactly ideal for the exploring and adventure seeking I'd like to do. This is where the idea for this build has come from – the desire to have a scaled down camping set-up that will not only get my crew and I where we want to go safely, but also be equipped to house anything and everything needed to survive in any territory we choose as our destination. Without a travel trailer or toy hauler to pack up, prepare, and pull, the ease and frequency of our adventure taking will increase and the destination possibilities are virtually endless. Whether the activity ahead involves motorcycles, UTV's, mountain bikes, boating, fishing, or hunting, the “X-Max” will be ready and rearin' to go. Life's short & I'm not getting any younger, so it's about time to get out there and find out what these great United States have to offer!

Build Mission:
Create a Chevy 2500HD truck that has as many amenities as needed to survive the great outdoors, with enhancements throughout the interior, exterior, and all the way down to the suspension. Stocked with fresh clothes, food, water, and whatever extra equipment will be needed for the weekend activity ahead, once 5:00 on Friday evening rolls around, the “X-Max” will be ready to go!

Current rendering:

_ProjectX-MAX_revision2_logo.jpg

Here is a list of what we will be stuffing this truck with.

Exterior:
  • Cab roof rack
  • Bed shell
  • Shell roof rack
  • Roll out awning
  • Roof rack storage compartment
  • Dual spare tire mounts
  • Mounted floor jack
  • Shovel & Ax
  • Mountain bike mounts
  • Custom front and rear bumpers
  • Cab rock sliders
  • Dual Motorcycle rack
Cab Interior:
  • GPS
  • CB Radio
  • Built in WiFi
  • Dedicated satellite phone for vehicle
  • Long gun and ammo lockable storage
  • Hand gun safe
  • Fire extinguishers
Electronics:
  • Generator
  • Lights everywhere of course
  • Under body lights
  • Portable refrigerator
  • Extra truck batteries
  • On board pressure washer
  • On board Air with connections front and rear with tank
Survival Gear:
  • Recovery equipment
  • Winch front and rear
  • Fuel jugs
  • Complete first aid kit packed for every emergency
  • Fresh water tank with water pump
  • Plumbed for shower head, washing hands, food, dishes
  • Water heater
  • Propane Tanks
  • Porta potti
  • Changing room
  • Foldable table & Chairs
  • Custom storage slide-out drawers with bed top for sleeping inside shell
  • Gas stove / BBQ
  • Cooking supplies & eating utensils
  • Tool chest
Suspension, Tires & Wheels:
  • 4" lift
  • Upgraded shocks
  • Upgraded steering
  • Front and rear sway bars
  • Full leaf packs
  • Long Travel helper bags
  • Traction Bars
  • 35" Mud Terrain tires
  • 18" wheels
  • 2 full size spares
Performance:
  • Gears
  • Upgraded lockers
  • Turbo back exhaust
  • Intake
  • Tuning
  • Upgraded tranny
  • Larger fuel tank
Some product is already on its way and we should be getting started very soon on the build stages. I will be adding plenty of pictures as we make progress building this rig. This truck build is a new direction for me, and I may be missing some vital accessories or gear needed for any situation. If anyone would like to add their thoughts and/or personal experience, or if you just want to comment, please feel free!

Here is the foundation of the build in 100% stock form: 2008 Chevy 2500HD LT2 4wd Crew Cab Short Bed 6.6L Duramax Allison 6speed

X-MAX_stock_star.jpg

If you would like to follow this build to see updates, feel free to comment or subscribe to this thread.

Thank you,
Nick

Last edited:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Sounds like a very ambitious project. The list of gear that you plan on taking with is quite large. Since you described the truck as being an extended weekend/road trip vehicle, I would think that 2 full size spare tires would be overkill. I assume you plan on running Toyo MT's since that is what is in your rendering. They are very reliable tires so taking 2 extras along might not be necessary. A patch kit and one spare should do you fine, and save 100lbs and tons of space in the process. Also you might think about running 17" wheels. The availability of tires is much greater should you find yourself needing one on a trip, and they are less expensive to boot. Good luck with the build, I look forward to seeing your progress.

contento

Observer
Sounds and looks like an awesome build.

Just one question, why would you need or want an on board pressure washer? I can't see it having any feasible use other than washing the truck, but you wouldn't wanna wash it until you were done boondocking anyways. I say if you're out in the woods and wanna wash the truck bust out the wash mitts and elbow grease!

Betarocker

Adventurer
Getting rid of the independant front suspension in favor of a solid axle would be high my priority list if I was building a Chevy/GMC for off road duties. Having had to tow snapped tierod trucks is wearing thin.

Is it mandatory to keep the rear bench seat? Might be able to gain some extra functional space by re-doing the interior as far as seats and console space, etc. But hell...me saying that is like a burger chef trying to tell Gordon Ramsay how to prepare an omelet.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Looks like a heck of build, but I would have to also question a couple of your items.

Dual spares: For the reasons mentioned above. I will probably jinx myself, but I have been exploring NV, UT, CA since 1992 and I haven't needed a second spare yet.
Generator: What for? You have two factory batteries, you list additional batteries. I just don't see the need for that additional weight/room penalty. I run my rig off of the two factory batteries and have spent two nights in the same spot. I just start/run the truck for a few minutes if I am going to do an another night in the same spot. No problems yet.
Pressure washer: For the reasons mentioned above. On board shower, I can see, just not sure about the pressure washer.

Having said all of that, it is your truck and you can build it anyway you would like, but I think you are taking an alot of "stuff" for a weekend/extended weekend trip.

Looking forward to the build though, always like to see what and how people do it.

Jack

ExpoMike

Sounds like a cool build. Interested in seeing how it progresses.

As some others have said, I would really figure out what you really need versus want. Reason I say that is, looking at your list, the weight is going to add up very quickly and you will likely exceed your GVW. Being a 3/4 ton truck, you'll be quickly surprised how fast GVW is exceeded. I know I was with our rig. You have some very heavy items listed (dual motorcycle rack, that means carrying 2 motorcycles, dual winches, custom bumpers (unless aluminum, these are heavy), dual spares, etc.).

I would go get the vehicle weighed in stock form and then throw in any of the items you already have (like the cycles and other gear) and get it weighed again. Make up a realistic spreadsheet listing the real world weights of items and add them up. I will be quite shocking to say the least.

Good luck and post up progress pics. :) Oh and Welcome to ExPo!!!

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm interested in following the thread. I think you are going to be surprised with the weight issue as well.

Last edited:

delithic

Observer
I am going to go out on a limb here and propose that the on board pressure washer is probably for the two motorcycles on the dual motorcycle carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78