Project "X-Max", Off-Road Expedition Style - The Ultimate Adventure Duramax

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Since you are traveling to unmarkerd and off the grid areas, I would not want the turbo back exhaust. Better suited for cruise night, don't think the benefits are worth the extra noise for you or especially others around you IMO. Nice truck though.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Very cool build! I follow you on Diesel Place. Glad to see you joined EP! Welcome:victory:

I am going in the same direction.

currently
47d0d5d6.jpg

what I started with
002-4.jpg

Nick.V70

Damn, this is awesome. I quickly had a chance to read over all your posts and just as I hopped you guys are giving some great valid feed back as I asked so it's all soaking in and taking notes. Like stated I currently have a large toy hauler so my mind sometimes is bigger than the room I have once it time to get it all loaded up....hahahaha. I am out of time today to reply to all the great posts but I will tomorrow but just wanted to say thanks for the feed back and great words some have posted recognizing who I am, THANKS!!!

Nick

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Welcome Nick, I've spoken to you in the past about shocks I believe. I'm sure your truck will turn out very nice and I'm looking forward to your build.

ExpoMike

To add a comment about shocks, not sure what you are looking to go with but I would highly recommend Bilstein 5160 series. Biggest problem with shocks is heat and with you being on the heavy to very heavy side of things, you will be working the shocks hard. The 5160's have remote reservors and help disapate the heat better. I have been very happy with them on my Ram with FWC. I am just shy of 8500 lbs.

Nick.V70

* UPDATE *

Ok so here is the first pictures of alot of the reason this build has been on my mind for awhile, I defiantly want more days and full trips like this! My son turned 4 years old on July 24th and leading up to his birthday I asked him what he wanted to do and he said "I want to ride my dirt bike!". So I took the day off work and we had a great father and son day at a OHV park, Hollister hills not far from where we live.

Nicksbdayride_01.jpg

Nicksbdayride_18.jpg

Nicksbdayride_02.jpg

Nicksbdayride_20.jpg

Nicksbdayride_31.jpg

Nicksbdayride_42.jpg

Nicksbdayride_38.jpg

Nicksbdayride_30.jpg

Sorry for so many pics, just a dad proud of his son :)

So many asked why the pressure washer, yes for the dirt bikes when we are out on larger trips or find ourselves in some muddy terrain, would be nice to have a way to wash filthy or muddy bikes off before heading home or if we need to service a bike on a long trip.

Also remember my plan is to run the dirt bikes off the back, not in the bed so getting more detailed on the build, after looking at tons of bed tops I have found these 2 manufactures to have some nice options, www.4are.com & www.accessmfg.com have from what I found to have utility style tops with optional side access and barn door set ups.

AccessMFG_01.jpg

AccessMFG_02.jpg

I really like the side access to be lighted up and storage like this one:

AREtops_01.jpg

Then I am really liking slide out storage draws like these:

PickUpVault2.jpg

PickUpVault1.jpg

I am looking into sleeping tent set ups to mount on top of the bed cap so if anyone has idea's and or suggestions feel free to post links, pics or info.

Thanks!

Nick.V70

I'm interested in following the thread. I think you are going to be surprised with the weight issue as well.

I am very much so thinking about it and trying as hard as possible to cut down my "WANT" list:Wow1: lol. Any and all suggestions are greatly considered being still new to this style build, thank you.

Since you are traveling to unmarkerd and off the grid areas, I would not want the turbo back exhaust. Better suited for cruise night, don't think the benefits are worth the extra noise for you or especially others around you IMO. Nice truck though.

I'm going to second this. Subscribed!

You guys brought up a great point I didn't think about but now I am, going to look at my options to gain the most performance without going over board on sound, great suggestion and or thought. Thank you.

To add a comment about shocks, not sure what you are looking to go with but I would highly recommend Bilstein 5160 series. Biggest problem with shocks is heat and with you being on the heavy to very heavy side of things, you will be working the shocks hard. The 5160's have remote reservors and help disapate the heat better. I have been very happy with them on my Ram with FWC. I am just shy of 8500 lbs.

These will be the shocks I will be adding to the build:

Fox Performance Series Res shocks. In the early stages of the Mono Tube development I had a chance to be at Fox with a suspension manufacture to view how these are designed and built, pretty cool over all and so far they have been doing really well for holding up under harsh conditions.

Fox%202.0%20Performance%20Res%2007.JPG

Exploded view:

Mono%20Tube%20.JPG

A simple web-search returns any number of expedition-style roof-top tents... here is just one of the links that I found: http://expeditionoffroad.com/camping_equipment/awnings_roof_top_tents

Thanks Ryan! I will take a look at the links. Your the man!

Great pics, that make me want to go get a dirt bike for my cruncher!

Thanks! I have 2 older daughters (7yo and 13yo) that are involved in out door activities including quads and dirt bikes but my lil man is a blast. If your lil guy is into it I highly suggest getting him something. Really any sport you can see your child enjoy is well worth going the extra mile to help them excel in. How old is your son?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78