Prosumer m4/3

Scott Brady

Founder
I just merged the two discussions. This is Bill's original post

OK…noob to this forum, have been lurking/learning/absorbing (avid Tc’er with Duramax 4x4) anyway…we are planning x-country tour next summer and I want to upgrade my camera before that trip. Currently have Nikon 35mm with a few (crappy) PS’s.

The whole 4/3 thing is foreign to me but sounds like a great idea?
I was going to stick w/Nikon and upgrade to a new DSLR so I could still use my Nikon lenses…
Now I am not so sure.

Will my Nikon lenses work with 4/3 bodies?

I was also think that if I went with new DSLR I could leave the old video cam at home and shoot videos with the new DSLR…can I do this with a 4/3?
I am not a big fan of shooting video, but we do occasionally record some event our 10 yr old Son is participating in (school play, ball game etc) so may want to shoot ½ hr or 1 hr long video occasionally…

o will a 4/3 allow me to kill both birds at once? Or am I kidding myself and should still consider separate still and video cams?
o The smaller the better and more likely I am to carry it and use it.
o Do not require HD video capture…780 is fine?
o Good pic quality, but will not be printing anything poster size.
o Good battery life.
o Fairly rugged body (backpacking, kayaking, etc)
o Are lenses on M4/3 swappable?
o Do not require high-end, but would like something more than PS…
o Built in flash
o From what I can see, Nikon and Cannon don’t make M4/3?
o Will be shooting; people, landscapes, action shots…so need a real “all arounder”. A glorified/flexible PS you could say…prosumer…

All the photog sites just promote whichever camera was launched this month…thought I would ask some Folks who are out using them…what would you buy?
Who are the major players?

Tx for your help, Bill

I have gone the full gamut and now only shoot 4/3 bodies and lenses. I am even looking hard at going micro 4/3 bodies and lenses!

There are some very interesting combinations available now with lens adapters. You can shoot a GF1 and run an adapter to Leica M mount lenses.
Image_GF2k_HD-001.jpg

These new Panasonic bodies are known for their sharpness, then add a 50mm F2.0 Leica to it and it would be wicked and completely compact.
86059.jpg

Last edited:

BillTex

Adventurer
OK…noob to this forum, have been lurking/learning/absorbing (avid Tc’er with Duramax 4x4) anyway…this thread caught my attention as we are planning x-country tour next summer and I want to upgrade my camera before that trip. Currently have Nikon 35mm with a few (crappy) PS’s.

I was going to stick w/Nikon and upgrade to a new DSLR so I could still use my Nikon lenses…
Now I am not so sure.

I was also think that if I went with new DSLR I could leave the old video cam at home and shoot videos with the new DSLR…can I do this with a 4/3?
I am not a big fan of shooting video, but we do occasionally record some event our 10 yr old Son is participating in (school play, ball game etc) so may want to shoot ½ hr or 1 hr long video occasionally…

So, will a 4/3 allow me to kill both birds at once? Or am I kidding myself and should still consider separate still and video cams?

Tx, Bill

p.s. If this is too far off topic…I will start new thread.

Scott Brady

Founder
Buy this camera - finished.

intro-001.jpg

I love my E-3 Olympus, as it is the most reliable and durable camera I have used (much more durable than the Canon and Nikon bodies), but they totally boned themselves with only making 720 HDV available in the new E-5. Who shoots 720? It would be worthless media. . .

So I am looking at either the 5D MII or the Panasonic Lumix. The Lumix is actually a better HDV platform, but the 5D is a better image platform. Another advantage of the Lumix is the use of Leica and Voigtlander lenses with simple adapters.
543261.jpg

ThomD

Explorer
BillTex - there are two camera standards to watch for - 4/3rds and micro 4/3 thirds.

The original idea (4/3s) was to make smaller interchangable lens cameras. Unfortunately, they were not really that much smaller than small SLRs. So, the micro 4/3s standard was created (m4/3). m4/3 cameras are pretty compact (electronic view finder, no shutter), while keeping a relatively large sensor (compared to any P&S). The m4/3 lenses are also relatively small.

Panasonic's GH cameras are intended to be both still and video cameras. I don't need video, so I did not get the GH2.

4/3 and m4/3 were also designed with the idea that adapters can be made to fit a variety of other lens formats. By and large, these work, but there can be issues with focus speed and for video there can be issues with continuous focus. There are adapters for Nikon lenses, but unless somebody here is already doing it with Nikon lenses, the micro 4/3s forum is the best place to work out the fine details.

BillTex

Adventurer
Thx ThomD.

So m4/3 will require new lenses for best functionality?

Assuming you can swap lenses on m4/3?

I will look for m4/3 forum...

Tx, Bill

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
GH2 is pretty small, especially with the 14-40mm

Here it is compared to the Canon D60
comparedto60d-001.jpg

allroundview-001.jpg

The GF2 is super small and another good choice (and also micro 4/3)
SidebySideFr.jpg

The Olympus Pen cameras are also sweet, but have limited HDV use
sidebyside.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Buy this camera - finished.

intro-001.jpg

I love my E-3 Olympus, as it is the most reliable and durable camera I have used (much more durable than the Canon and Nikon bodies)... So I am looking at either the 5D MII or the Panasonic Lumix.

Why? What doesn't the E-3 do for you?

BillTex

Adventurer
OK…noob to this forum, have been lurking/learning/absorbing (avid Tc’er with Duramax 4x4) anyway…we are planning x-country tour next summer and I want to upgrade my camera before that trip. Currently have Nikon 35mm with a few (crappy) PS’s.

Now I am not so sure.

o will a 4/3 allow me to kill both birds at once? Or am I kidding myself and should still consider separate still and video cams?
o The smaller the better and more likely I am to carry it and use it.
o Do not require HD video capture…780 is fine?
o Good pic quality, but will not be printing anything poster size.
o Good battery life.
o Fairly rugged body (backpacking, kayaking, etc)
o Are lenses on M4/3 swappable?
o Do not require high-end, but would like something more than PS…
o Built in flash
o From what I can see, Nikon and Cannon don’t make M4/3?
o Will be shooting; people, landscapes, action shots…so need a real “all arounder”. A glorified/flexible PS you could say…prosumer…

All the photog sites just promote whichever camera was launched this month…thought I would ask some Folks who are out using them…what would you buy?
Who are the major players?

Tx for your help, Bill

Scott Brady

Founder
Why? What doesn't the E-3 do for you?

No HDV at 1080p.

I really enjoyed the E-3. I proved to be incredibly durable and endured 30+ countries and tens of thousands of miles and shutter releases.

Great memories captured from that camera
148249_10150148468768275_640113274_8268504_705173_n.jpg

I need a camera that shoots 12mp minimum (for a true double-page spread in Overland Journal at 300 dpi).

This is what I need a camera to do:

1. Durability. Dust and moisture
2. Compact. I carry these things 200+ days per year and often fly with them. I also carry them on my KTM
3. 12+ MP image
4. Full 1080p HDV
5. Reasonable low-light performance
6. Availability of quality lenses

My goal is to carry two identical bodies and four lenses. I suspect it will be the GH2, which will allow me to shoot HDV (we sell hours of HDV footage each year) and shoot high-quality stills as well, even at the same time. Full redundancy and great "film like" HDV quality. I have become quite pragmatic about the photo gear now and have a greater love of actually shooting and the resulting effect than the gear itself.

I have a good feeling about the GH2, though the 5D and 7D are not off the table yet either.

This was shot with the previous version GH1

This was recently shot with the GH2- Fun!

BillTex

Adventurer
Any thoughts on Sony NEX-5...looks nice and compact...versus DMC-GF1C-K...or GF2...these are intriguing.

Tx, Bill

Last edited:

BillTex

Adventurer
Bump.

I think I have narrowed my search to include;
Sony NEX-5...looks nice and compact...better chip?

I also like DMC-GF1C-K, the controls, built in flash, etc, although it is a bit larger

Or GF2, but not sure I like all the touch screen menus...

How big a deal is the larger processor on the Sony?

Opinions on these 3 choices?

When will Nikon show up in this game?

Bill

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Honestly, I do not think there is even a question here between the listed cameras. An APS-C sensor is better. samsung has also just released a camera similar to the sony NEX at least sensor wise.

Tip: when all else fails - refer to DpReview

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior