Prosumer m4/3

ywen

Explorer
without knowing the bitrate implementation on the oly and panasonic, it's very hard to compare MJPEG from one and AVCHD from the other. If you're not sensitive to minor quality differences, the two will probably be the same for you.

That being said, the one thing that can be said is MJPEG is easier to edit than AVCHD. Depending on the hardware/software you use, you might find it much more difficult to edit AVCHD files than MJPEG files.

BillTex

Adventurer
without knowing the bitrate implementation on the oly and panasonic, it's very hard to compare MJPEG from one and AVCHD from the other. If you're not sensitive to minor quality differences, the two will probably be the same for you.

That being said, the one thing that can be said is MJPEG is easier to edit than AVCHD. Depending on the hardware/software you use, you might find it much more difficult to edit AVCHD files than MJPEG files.

Good input...thanx.
What about playback?
Would the mjpeg be more convenient to burn to dvd and playback?

Bill

ywen

Explorer
AVCHD is the same video format as blu-ray.. I believe AVCHD is more playback friendly. I can play back my AVCHD clips from the SD card on my PS3 etc no problem. I just googled MJPEG playback on PS3 and pulled up some reports of problems playing back...

ThomD

Explorer
Focal range is different. LX5 is 24-90, Oly is 28-112. The LCD on the Oly is 614k dots vs 460k on the LX5. Ols is F1.8-F2.5 vs F2.0-F3.3 . Stereo audi on Oly, mono on the Pany. Pany claims 60 fps at 720 res, vs 30 fps on the Oly.

Can't go wrong with either one and if you don't see anything in that comparison that moves you , but them on price. I have the LX5, I prefer wider over longer lenses.

BillTex

Adventurer
Focal range is different. LX5 is 24-90, Oly is 28-112. The LCD on the Oly is 614k dots vs 460k on the LX5. Ols is F1.8-F2.5 vs F2.0-F3.3 . Stereo audi on Oly, mono on the Pany. Pany claims 60 fps at 720 res, vs 30 fps on the Oly.

Can't go wrong with either one and if you don't see anything in that comparison that moves you , but them on price. I have the LX5, I prefer wider over longer lenses.

Pani is $100 less at BH...this may be the deciding factor!
That's a tank of deezul to go exploring with!

B

ywen

Explorer
have you handled the LX5 in person? it's one of the larger P&S.. not exactly the most pocket friendly in the P&S category... but that's just my opinion..

BillTex

Adventurer
have you handled the LX5 in person? it's one of the larger P&S.. not exactly the most pocket friendly in the P&S category... but that's just my opinion..

I have not...could not find one locally.

But it would still be smaller than a 4/3 with a lens on it.

What other PS would you suggest that are "pocketable"?

B

ywen

Explorer
Canon S95 is an advanced P&S that is more pocketable than the LX5.. some pics below..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/ pictures comparing to LX5.. LX5 is thick as hell

GF1, GF2, LX5..

3way.jpg

LX3, GF1

lumix-gf-1-lx3-1.jpg

S95, LX5

LX5_S95_EX1_comparativa_06.jpg

LX5_S95_EX1_comparativa_71.jpg

LX5, Olympus, S95..

sidebyside2.jpg

Last edited:

BillTex

Adventurer
Yes, the S95 was considered...it is a great, small, still camera.
Unfortunately, it falls short in the video dept; no zoom, focus while recording.

This is a killer for me.

I am 90% decided on the LX5...but am open to other opinions/advice.

Tx again for you help,
Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior