Prosumer m4/3

BillTex

Adventurer
Honestly, I do not think there is even a question here between the listed cameras. An APS-C sensor is better. samsung has also just released a camera similar to the sony NEX at least sensor wise.

Tip: when all else fails - refer to DpReview

Yes, I have been studying dpreview...to be honest the Sony does not get the best review...
Can't wait to see a full review on the GF2...

I think I am leaning toward the GF series..

Tx, Bill

ThomD

Explorer
I've never seen the Sony so I can't compare them.

All of the controls on the touch screen of the G2/GF2/GH2 are available without using the screen. Several had dedicated buttons and the D-pad like buttons are used if you do not want to use the touch screen.

The GF2 is not considered by some to be a pure upgrade to the GF1. There are features that were changed or removed that made me consider the GF1 instead of the GF2. I don't remember what they were and they were probably pretty esoteric.

I don't think the sensor size difference is significant enough to be a deciding factor in this case. The pixel density (3.9Mp vs 5Mp) is comparable.

Scott Brady

Founder
The GF2 is not considered by some to be a pure upgrade to the GF1. There are features that were changed or removed that made me consider the GF1 instead of the GF2. I don't remember what they were and they were probably pretty esoteric.

I am a little bummed by the GF2, but will probably still buy one. It has some improved features like the touch screen and 1080p, but loses some manual controls of the GF1 that I really like.

BillTex

Adventurer
I don't think the sensor size difference is significant enough to be a deciding factor in this case. The pixel density (3.9Mp vs 5Mp) is comparable.

That was pretty much the consensus of the dpreview...

Also agree on the GF1 vs GF2...I think I would find manual controls quicker?

All 3 are still in the running; next step is to get out to a good shop and handle each of these 3...

Tx, Bill

ThomD

Explorer
I am a little bummed by the GF2, but will probably still buy one. It has some improved features like the touch screen and 1080p, but loses some manual controls of the GF1 that I really like.

That's why I went with the G2. I figured you would go for the GH2 for the video. The GF series is not that small when you stick anything bigger than the pancake lenses on them. And if you think that there is any chance you would add the electronic view finder to the GF, you lose what little size advantage it has over the G/GH series.

My G2 with the 14-140 is very similar in size to the Pany FZ50. It took lot of work to find a GF in a store - found one in D.C. and I decided it was too big to be a "pocket" camera, like the LX-5 or such. OTOH, lots of people like the GF, so it is nice to have options.

BillTex

Adventurer
Went to the camera shop today and saw the NEX-5....wow! What a piece of engineering...very slick...compact.
Unfortunately, they did not have GF1 or GF2....so could not compare.

To be honest, I was not impressed with the info I got at what is supposed to be the "premier" camera shop in our area...this means I may end up purchasing on-line or in a big box...not what I wanted to do...

The research continues...

Bill

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Went to the camera shop today and saw the NEX-5....wow! What a piece of engineering...very slick...compact.
Unfortunately, they did not have GF1 or GF2....so could not compare.

To be honest, I was not impressed with the info I got at what is supposed to be the "premier" camera shop in our area...this means I may end up purchasing on-line or in a big box...not what I wanted to do...

The research continues...

Bill
Local camera shops are not what they used to be. 3 months ago I went into the ONLY camera shop in the area and found they do not even stock cameras but will "special" order then if you want... dumb stuff.

BillTex

Adventurer
Yeah, I was at the oldest/largest camera shop in RI (not that that says too much!).
They were barely aware of the m4/3 and not enthusiastic at all. Then again...they really push Nikon...

Guess I'll have to get to Boston to look around...

Bill

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Another reason to go 4/3

Noktor Yes. F0.95

Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95
Those are nice options for 4/3's shooters, at least the Voigtlander is, but the thing to remember is the smaller the sensor the greater the depth of field is at any given aperture and focal length. So in order to achieve the same shallow depth of field as say F1.4 on a full frame, a 4/3's camera would require a lens that is at least twice as fast. That would mean a lens in the neighbourhood of F0.70 to be at par. The upside of these lenses for 4/3's shooters is the lenses light gathering abilities isn't effected by the crop factor, so F0.95 is very beneficial for cameras that struggle at higher ISO's as many 4/3's sensors do. These F0.95 are groovy, but on a 4/3rds camera they're not quite as groovy as they first sound.

Scott Brady

Founder
Those new Sony cameras are worth a look too: 14mp and a magnesium body

This NEX-5 is super small and APS-C sized sensor. Full 1080 HDV
inhand.jpg

NEX-5_with_16mm.jpg

That could make for a killer choice on a moto adventure.

Comparing on DPReview, the NX-5 actually has a better high ISO performance than the Pen camera and the G12. It is slightly better than the Panasonic G2

No detailed review for comparison against the GH2

C-Fish

Adventurer
Those new Sony cameras are worth a look too: 14mp and a magnesium body

This NEX-5 is super small and APS-C sized sensor. Full 1080 HDV
inhand.jpg

NEX-5_with_16mm.jpg

That could make for a killer choice on a moto adventure.

Comparing on DPReview, the NX-5 actually has a better high ISO performance than the Pen camera and the G12. It is slightly better than the Panasonic G2

No detailed review for comparison against the GH2

I played with both of these today. Very nice, might just be what the doctor ordered...Cool stitching feature for panoramic shots as well. There is a rebate online for the NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras...

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I am really curious to see what Nikon comes out with. Rumor has it around March sometime they will be releasing a mirrorless camera.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I am really curious to see what Nikon comes out with. Rumor has it around March sometime they will be releasing a mirrorless camera.

I'm curious too. But I won't hold my breath. Even if Nikon announces a mirrorless camera today (although they did file a patent on their design) I doubt it'll be available for purchase until the last quarter of 2011.

BillTex

Adventurer
Still searching...

Hi All, still trying to decide on compact travel camera before heading out this summer. I have decided that the M4/3 may not be the best fit as I want a camera that is truly pocketable. Another objective is to carry 1 camera for stills and video.
Have narrowed it down to;
o Olympus XZ-1
o Panasonic DMC LX5

I believe the Oly has a better lens, the question I have are the different movie formats;
Oly is mjpeg, Pan is AVCHD.

I do not know enough about the different formats to understand what this means to me.

Please explain movie formats and offer opinions on these 2 cameras.
Which would you choose if you had the same criteria as I do, and why?

Tx, Bill

Scott Brady

Founder
Just bought the GF2- It arrived last night. First impression is that it is super tinny. Judgement on images will follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior