Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
It could be that he just decided to keep her and enjoy her some more.

....and post more videos with the 6.2 clattering away under the hood? ;) Think of it like motivation for those of us who have not got their 6.2 swapped in yet because we are still gathering parts! :D

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Did you pick up a kit from Paradigm, or did you go with Marks4wd adapters?

You should start a build thread to lol

Excursion73

Observer
I bought Paradigms set up off of his Rover since he is converting to a manual 6 speed. I am glad I did it this way since this is my first 4x4 project.

I will be starting a build thread as soon as I get around to pulling the 4.0 and getting started. Its hard to get large blocks of free time as a small business owner. I am planning on having everything road worthy by early march.

R-Overland

Adventurer
I finally got the Manual transmission in.
I got a NV4500 ,which bolts up to the 6.2L diesel. Had to make an adapter for the transfercase , But There was only 1 inch spare room. The Borg Warner TC and the NV4500 have two different splines so i had to make an adaptor. Since there was no room for a short shaft , I had to crack open the TC and take the input shaft out and machine it so that I could weld a shaft to the stub that fits the tranny output shaft. Had to take the planetary grear of the TC input apart and strip it of all bearings that could get damaged due to the heat whilst welding.

The adaptor plate was pretty easy but getting the tranny-TC combo back under and then up to the engine was some feat. the duo weighs easily 400lbs and is very awkwardly shaped.

Right now I am putting the interior back together. and sort out a way to get the TC to shift to low when I want it to.

R-Overland

Adventurer
After a first drive I thought, I want my auto back... it's something getting used to , I guess. But in hindsight I would deffo prefer an automatic.

Excursion73

Observer
Your MPG should improve though with the manual. I will be content with the auto. I was getting ready to get started and my rover decided to lock me out and not let me back in. I have to cut the striker loop on the drivers door to get back in and replace the door lock. These vehicles keep on giving. DOH!

I am chomping at the bit to get this started! I think everyone would like to see some pics and videos of this new upgrade.

R-Overland

Adventurer
I got a box ready for you with bits you need to do the swap.
will go out tomorrow.

I'll post poto's tommorrow as well. It doesn't look like much has changed. apart from the shifter sticking out.

R-Overland

Adventurer
Here are some photo's of the 5 Speed.
It was a lot of work, but now it's finally done.
P1120306_zpsa2e2f8bb.jpg

P1120305_zpsa450ae9e.jpg

P1120303_zps7ec41490.jpg

P1120301_zps844ef4e7.jpg

PC310300_zps97a4eaee.jpg

PC310299_zps064c898a.jpg

PC310298_zps76da66e5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears