Resources for complete beginners? S-250 build-out

MrNobody

The S-250 is a great shelter I have 3 of them. I turned one into a camper (ok, actually it was a hunting blind that you could take camping.)

It’s mounted in a M1101 trailer, the straps on the front were replaced with stainless cables and aluminum turnbuckles. Looks much nicer than the straps.

I bought RV windows on eBay that cost about $1k total but, I wanted 7 windows so I could see out every side. You could get by with 2 to 5 windows. Make sure one is an emergency exit window in case you have an issue with the door mechanism.

I used the windows trim kit to mark the cut out on a piece of cardboard, then transferred it to the walls with a sharpie, then very carefully, use a skill saw to cut the straight lines on the cutout and a jigsaw for the curves.

Install windows loosely, caulk the ever lovin snot out of it and you have a camper.

It’s about 20% more awesome than you think it will be. I’m very happy with it.

You can finish out the inside as you see fit. Not too hard to imagine your space in there. Fridge, beds, shelves.

I built mine because we had a Red Stag on the ranch who was nocturnal and I wanted my nephew to shoot it. After many nights, we got it done.
Thanks for the tips here!

How difficult do you find it to keep this thing warm in the winter?
Nice buck by the way!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I will do this and also look into it.

Honestly I have never heard of it happening here but who knows!
I’ve lived in 3 US states and probably worked in 30 or so. I have never seen a pickup truck weighed by any enforcement office, but… In California removing the pickup box and changing to a flatbed usually triggers the transition to “commercial”. I have seen flatbed pickups stopped, weighed, and seen enforcement action against them. YMMV, a lot probably depends on who the enforcement officer is and how “target rich” the environment is at the moment. Reading some of the commentary from Canadians in the various threads about weight would have you believe that it is a BIG deal up north, for the authorities and the insurance companies. Again, YMMV and personal risk decisions need to be figured in.

The weight you are talking about seems like a lot for a 1/2 ton truck to me personally, but I haven’t had a 1/2 ton truck in 15 years, and it was 30 years old when I did!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Thanks for the tips here!

How difficult do you find it to keep this thing warm in the winter?
Nice buck by the way!
We never tried to keep it warm, so it gets cold, pretty quickly, especially with 7 single pane windows. But, walls are insulated with 1.5” of foam, so I don’t think it would take much to keep the temperature at a comfortable level.

There is a guy on IG who has a very similar looking box in his truck. I suspect he may have started w an S250 and modified it. It’s the same size (+/-). He has a small wood burning stove in his. I think a little ventilation and some basic caution would keep you safe and toasty.

They really are great starter kits for a camper. Kind of heavy. 900 lbs? I forget the weight, but it’s not insignificant. A 3/4 ton or a M1101/1102 trailer would be just fine.

Securing it in a truck, or the 1101 is a bit tricky, but certainly not too difficult.

Good luck! Send me a PM if you have questions. I don’t check here very often. Just stumbled across your thread.

Also, post pics. Very few documented S250 builds online. Not sure why. It’s an easy enough project and they aren’t too expensive ($800-$1500 in 2023 dollars).

For what it’s worth, I can’t recommend the M1101 highly enough. That is the most bass azz trailer ever built. Has surge brakes, it’s wide, indestructible and not too heavy. The construction is amazing. Proprietary rivets that will not wear out, aluminum body and galvanized frame. And the 250 is designed for this trailer.

MrNobody

For what it’s worth, I can’t recommend the M1101 highly enough. That is the most bass azz trailer ever built. Has surge brakes, it’s wide, indestructible and not too heavy. The construction is amazing. Proprietary rivets that will not wear out, aluminum body and galvanized frame. And the 250 is designed for this trailer.

well that right there is the pro-tip that I think I have been waiting for.

might have to drive to Arizona as that's the closest I am seeing them. Any websites you gents use in the states for the private sale of these sorts of things?

the only single down side I see to this as the way to go is if the S-250 is mounted on the trailer, I no longer have the space under the sides for solar battery arrays, storage containers, fuel tanks, etc... but where there are problems, there are also solutions.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Any websites you gents use in the states for the private sale of these sorts of things?

FB marketplace, Craigslist are good. eBay seems to be overpriced. IronPlanet auctions have been pretty good, but prices are way up. Add 20% (I think?) to the sale price for anything sold there. They have been going for $2000-$3000 total price there. $2500 for a good one in the private market is reasonable.

What state/area are you coming from?

Buffalobwana

Observer
might have to drive to Arizona as that's the closest I am seeing them. Any websites you gents use in the states for the private sale of these sorts of things?

MrNobody

FB marketplace, Craigslist are good. eBay seems to be overpriced. IronPlanet auctions have been pretty good, but prices are way up. Add 20% (I think?) to the sale price for anything sold there. They have been going for $2000-$3000 total price there. $2500 for a good one in the private market is reasonable.

What state/area are you coming from?
I am up in southern BC.

$2500USD is a good chunk of change. Saw them on the auction starting at $500 and thought I might get a good deal!

about 6 hours from here in Alberta there is something similar from Canadian forces at $4900.

looks a bit small.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Yeah, that’s a bit small.

The 1101’s May start at $500, but they rarely ever go for less that $1500 ($1800 total). If they do, they are in Guam or Hawaii.

MrNobody

Yeah, that’s a bit small.

The 1101’s May start at $500, but they rarely ever go for less that $1500 ($1800 total). If they do, they are in Guam or Hawaii.
Copy that. I found a 2010 in Oregon for $1950, so thats not too far and on the more affordable end. I will see if I can get my hands on that one. Wasn't budgeting for a trailer...

Buffalobwana

Observer
That’s a very decent price. Make sure you know the laws about registration and if you need a title. Some people don’t pay the extra $ to get a title transfer on trailers. I rarely get titles for my trailers off auction since I can “farm use” them and claim 4000k gross weight.

Take some axle grease and tools to pop off the cap and check the grease before you pull it very far.

Timken sells bearings seals and races for these trailers off Amazon. Here are your part numbers. I don’t know the races part number. I have never had a race damaged badly enough to replace, so I usually just replace or repack bearings.

Timken 14125A Bearing​

Timken 25580 Axle Bearing​

National 412920 Seal​

MrNobody

That’s a very decent price. Make sure you know the laws about registration and if you need a title. Some people don’t pay the extra $ to get a title transfer on trailers. I rarely get titles for my trailers off auction since I can “farm use” them and claim 4000k gross weight.

Take some axle grease and tools to pop off the cap and check the grease before you pull it very far.

Timken sells bearings seals and races for these trailers off Amazon. Here are your part numbers. I don’t know the races part number. I have never had a race damaged badly enough to replace, so I usually just replace or repack bearings.

Timken 14125A Bearing​

Timken 25580 Axle Bearing​

National 412920 Seal​

Thanks for the super helpful tips!

It's looking like I wont have the means to get the trailer this year but will do it next year. I met a welder recently who might be able to build me jack mounts that work well so I can at least use it a bit this fall winter despite GVWR limits and the such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior