Rotopax fuel packs

daverami

Explorer
I'm sure we have. I'll probably be making a trip to big bend, ouray, and possibly halfdome this year as well.

I would contact the owner of rotopax (Jason was his name, I believe), but he was able to get me a discount on their products when I purchased. I know they are heavily used in the ATV industry and have had great reviews.

If there was enough interest I am sure he could at least provide a discount code or something to forum memebers.

Sounds good to me. I really like those units.

PJPR01

Adventurer
I'm sure we have. I'll probably be making a trip to big bend, ouray, and possibly halfdome this year as well.

Seems like we hit the same spots...just did Big Bend at Thanksgiving, Ouray/Telluride last year and this year, and over the year end holidays ventured to Death Valley and other spots in California as well.

Probably we'll end up in Moab at the same time next year!!!:wings:

kenallwine

Adventurer
i have them mounted on my jeep.

rotopaxmount1.jpg

I would like to know more about your bumper and carrier setup please !

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Save 10% on ROTOPAX

Save 10% by entering in the word ROTOPAX in the coupon code area. Now that I live in the desert I'm strapping a 2 gallon water and a 2 gallon storage box on the Rokon. The box will hold first aid, survival gear and food just in case I get stranded out there. They even one have pre packaged with a first aid, repair or 72 hour survival kit to go in them for a good price. These things work for more than fuel and since my Rokon will go for 8 hours on a tank I'm skipping the gas.

Survival and water combo: http://www.rotopax.com/72-hour-prep...pack-fuel-pack-atv-utv-ga-c-11-p-1-pr-91.html

I gotta throw in a link to the worlds most capable vehicle: http://www.rokon.com/about/index.htm

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
I found somebody selling a 4 gallon Rotopax on ebay, so I grabbed it. The company that makes them also sells on ebay, but if you examine their ebay products you will see they prefer to sell from their website. Much like the 'Rotopax' code, you can enter ebay in the coupon code area for 10%. http://www.rotopax.com/

I had originally planned to purchase a couple of the Rotopax mounts to attach to my bed divider to hold the fuel tank. But I think I will save a few bucks for the time being, and put the fuel tank between the bed divider and the ActionPackers that are wedged under my Hi-Lift. It all fits nicely against the back of the bed. But it is very simple and boring compared to many additions on this site!

Detritus, I mean, gear boxes wedged under Hi-Lift. The boxes keep the Hi-Lift from bouncing and tearing the Util-Track off the bed.
4335417441_dd0232c2ae_b.jpg

Rotopax next to the detritus boxes...
4336162566_dcc79f798d_b.jpg

Everything held in place by the bed divider.
4335418237_a37276d199_b.jpg

Last edited:

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
I would like to know more about your bumper and carrier setup please !

Its a Smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier. i then welded a hoop with mounts to hold the rotopax packs and tabs for a small basket to hold fire wood (not shown) to the tire carrier.

dustboy

Explorer
What a clever way to carry fuel and water. I haven't been very excited about using big cages for jerrycans to rattle in, but you could stick one of those little cross mounts anywhere.

Lichen

Explorer
I purchased the one gallon water and fuel rotopax. Aren't they cute?
picture.php

They ended up fitting perfect in the wasted little side space in the Tuffy box.
picture.php

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Save 10% by entering in the word ROTOPAX in the coupon code area. Now that I live in the desert I'm strapping a 2 gallon water and a 2 gallon storage box on the Rokon. The box will hold first aid, survival gear and food just in case I get stranded out there. They even one have pre packaged with a first aid, repair or 72 hour survival kit to go in them for a good price. These things work for more than fuel and since my Rokon will go for 8 hours on a tank I'm skipping the gas.

Survival and water combo: http://www.rotopax.com/72-hour-prep...pack-fuel-pack-atv-utv-ga-c-11-p-1-pr-91.html

I gotta throw in a link to the worlds most capable vehicle: http://www.rokon.com/about/index.htm

Another great website is rokonworld.com
Lots of info on their message board.

denviks

loving these fuel containers. i am looking ( or was ) for a way of carrying fuel on my atv and that is perfect, i have sent an email to find out costs to the uk :coffeedrink:

i might even get a set for my discovery a bit later on.... they do look perfect

coydogsf

Adventurer
We're outfitting a 2004 Xterra for overlanding and when looking for a place to carry some extra fuel, realized that a friend had one of these Kolpin/Rotopax 4 gallon containers that would fit perfectly under the roof tent between the roof and the rack. You can barely see the red Kolpin towards the front under the RTT in this pic (of an unscheduled tire change...).

IMG_8932.jpg

And on the ground to the left is the storage box I build to fit with recovery tools, spares, jack etc. that slides in behind the Kolpin. Both have rubber feet on the bottom that keep them up off the slightly convex roof and are held in place by the factory roof rack cross bar (on the ground behind the truck). Yeah, takes a couple mins to slide either one out from under the rack but I think it's a nice little use of space.

A little more info on the modification of the stock Xterra rack to accomodate the RTT and storage at http://www.advodna.com/2010/02/roof-rack-grinder-attack.html if yer interested.

Wiley

Adventurer
Yup...these are great, I've got 1 green 4.5 gallon gas and 2 2 gallon white water containers snapped together. They are slim lined, low profile and fit well in many places...also easier to manage than the bulky jerry cans.

Also...they don't leak or have any vapor loss, so no worries about storing them in the car as needed either in case you don't have a spot for them on the roof.

Hi I have seen several comments about no vapor leaks, but wanted to verify since we will be sleeping in our vehicle...safety 1st! Now that you guys have had these for awhile, I am under the impression I can store these inside the vehicle, without any issues? I like the design of these, but may do a wedco (Do newer carb styles leak? having a tough time answering that), rotopax mix, or just wedco...thanks for any input.

Last edited:

coydogsf

Adventurer
I'd only filled mine with water before we left and let them sit for several days just to check the O-rings. Honestly, the first time I put gas in them was just the other day in Chiapas, thinking we might have some long stretches without Pemex's.

That being said, I had no leaks after a few days despite going from sea level to 7000 ft. Then I was repacking some stuff and managed to leave it in the sun for about 2 hours before noticing it was bulging out on both sides from the heat and expanding vapors. But, still no leaks. I cracked the seal and the pressure came whizzing out.

Even with that, I totally hear your concern about having them inside. You wouldn't really need to keep them full except for when you knew you were looking at longer stretches and they'd be pretty unlikely to be expanding and hence leaking vapor at night. Still, if you have anything on the roof to shade them from the sun, I'd try to figure out how to get them up there.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior