Rotopax fuel packs

Wiley

Adventurer
Thanks dave. I think they will be ok if I go that route, they sound pretty solid from everything I have read. Unfortunately I do not have any type of rack whatsoever at the moment, something else I need to look into!

mudbutt

Explorer
I have been running two of these off my swing-out spare for about a year now..... They are awesome! Tough as nails, easy to use, no rust, and zero leaks.... You will have to lubricate the clamp's threaded rod from time to time. The locking clamps work really well also. And they're a novelty, as most outside the off-roading world have never seen anything like it (everyone has seen a Jerry Can).....

I give them 10 out of 10 stars.:smiley_drive:

(But I still wouldn't store them inside a vehicle)......

njjeepthing

Explorer
I have been running two of these off my swing-out spare for about a year now..... They are awesome! Tough as nails, easy to use, no rust, and zero leaks.... You will have to lubricate the clamp's threaded rod from time to time. The locking clamps work really well also. And they're a novelty, as most outside the off-roading world have never seen anything like it (everyone has seen a Jerry Can).....

I give them 10 out of 10 stars.:smiley_drive:

(But I still wouldn't store them inside a vehicle)......

Any more detailed pictures of how you mounted them to the carrier? Loooks like a Detours carrier?

Project510

Adventurer
I know the thread was originally about the Rotopax models, but does anyone have exp. with the Kolpin models? Are they the same?

I would love to pick 2 of these up from Will at SE but I have a $20 coupon for Amazon and the Kolpins are $69 right now..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_OfqSjUmME"]YouTube - Kolpin Fuel Packs[/ame]

Last edited:

mudbutt

Explorer
.... does anyone have exp. with the Kolpin models? Are they the same?

I have one at home. I'll check it out tonight. As I recall someone working at Kolpin left, created a better mousetrap, and Viola! Rotopax.

There were rumors floating around the 'net that they (Kolpins) leaked. I only used mine 1 time on the Mojave road.

Then I got the 2 Rotopax because they had more accesories/mount options.

And to be honest I just liked the Rotopax better. Can't say why, they just seem a little sturdier to me and easier to handle. I believe the hand hold openings are smaller on the Kolpins.

If you want the Kolpin I'll sell you a used one cheap.

Project510

Adventurer
I actually ordered the Kolpins from Amazon already, as my trip is drawing near... I guess I will test them out and if they leak.. return them.

I deff wanted to go with the Rotopax, but at 25 bux cheaper, and my $20 coupon, it seemed like a good deal saving the $70. Well see I guess

mudbutt

Explorer
I actually ordered the Kolpins....

As long as they don't leak I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

I never confirmed the rumor. As I recall mine never leaked. But I only used it once.

Have fun.....

Edit:

A quick poke around and it looks like most of the info I see about the leaks is 2-3 years old... Perhaps they identified the problem and fixed it?

Last edited:

Project510

Adventurer
Well I should have them in about a week. I will fill them and toss them in theback of the truck and see wo they perform and report back

njjeepthing

Explorer
I saw that there were rotopax storage containers on their website. Anyone use these? Cool concept, but I'd rather just build a storage box/drawer.

Yes, I have one mounted to the rear of my back seat in the XJ. It holds items that I wouldn't use on a day to day basis. I have jumper cables in one side, and some other misc items in the other side. Only down side to them is you can only open one side while mounted, than you have to flip it to get to the other side! ( that's if your using two connected.) They don't hold a ton of stuff due to the hole in the middle for the mount, but for a small tool kit, air hose, jumper cables, etc.. They work nicely.

ccarm

Adventurer
Yes, I have one mounted to the rear of my back seat in the XJ. It holds items that I wouldn't use on a day to day basis. I have jumper cables in one side, and some other misc items in the other side. Only down side to them is you can only open one side while mounted, than you have to flip it to get to the other side! ( that's if your using two connected.) They don't hold a ton of stuff due to the hole in the middle for the mount, but for a small tool kit, air hose, jumper cables, etc.. They work nicely.

Cool. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior