Rotopax fuel packs

Project510

Adventurer
During lunch, I drove over to SE and bought two 2-gallon rotopax. See you on the Mojave Road!

See you there!

UPDATE ON KOLPIN:

So as much as I love purchasing stuff at Sierra Exp. I just had to try the kolpins since I pretty much savfed $30 each and had a $20 gift card from Amazon. So for 2 of the Kolpins shipped to my door I spent $118 and change

This is what was waiting for me inside haha.. Not to bad actually.. but good to note, either with this or the Rotopax, make sure you clean it out before your first use!
1167833318_bZS6Q-L.jpg

They provide a cap, for storage, and a spill proof spout. The cap for storage looks like it fits well, threads are thick with little chance of stripping, and the rubber seal inside is thick so that makes me feel good about storing them and not spilling.

The spout apears to be decent, though its tricky to release the valve while holding 4 gallons of fuel and pouring. Well see on my first test!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
We're about 90% done with our RotoPax Mount for the FJ's. More info to follow, and bits on it on our facebook page.

mudbutt

Explorer
....The spout apears to be decent, though its tricky to release the valve while holding 4 gallons of fuel and pouring. Well see on my first test!

They pretty much suck. Unless they have a redesign.

I used a brand new one on the Mojave road (2 years ago). The spout dumped fuel all over the ground. I ended up borrowing a jerry jug from a fellow EXPO'er, poured the fuel from the Kolpin into that, then dumped the fuel into the Jeep.

So much for gov't mandated "spill proof" nozzles. Idiots.

As soon as I got home I ordered 2 pre-CARB Rotopax and have hardly spilled a drop since......

off-roader

Expedition Leader

I used a brand new one on the Mojave road (2 years ago). The spout dumped fuel all over the ground. I ended up borrowing a jerry jug from a fellow EXPO'er, poured the fuel from the Kolpin into that, then dumped the fuel into the Jeep.

As soon as I got home I ordered 2 pre-CARB Rotopax and have hardly spilled a drop since......

I use a Super Siphon equivalent sold at the local Bass Pro shops. It's worked so well that all my wheeling buddies have bought them as well. Rather than hold the container up to pour gas out, we simply let gravity do the work for us while we kick back for a few or work on other things like setting up camp or preparing coffee in the morning.:ylsmoke:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Looking at the current pricing, has it come down since a year or two ago on the Rotopax?
When I first saw them I remember thinking they were fairly pricey, but now they don't seem that bad. And I'ver already bought a couple of mil-spec plastic ones...

Project510

Adventurer

So far so good! Maybe they were redesigned after all.

Did a small test with water and no leaks pouring. I will have to bring a funnel tho, the angle of getting the fuel to pour out into my truck, wont be possible without one. Not all of it anyways.

As for storage, I have it full of water now sitting on a towel in the kitchen to see if it leaks sitting, then I will toss it in the truck when I take my lunch. If it does not leak I will move on to testing it with fuel.

dbreid

Adventurer
I am way late to the party here, but I use two of the big rotopax strapped flat across the top of my (flat in the bed) spare in my rockcrawler. I have taken full, sealed rotopax from sea level to over 10,000 feet, and from 70 down to below freezing in the same day, and they never leaked a drop. And I was POUNDING the truck. This was on a September run of the Dusy Ershim in a Fullsize truck.

These are easily the best gas cans I have ever used. Not cheap, but worth it.

STREGA

Explorer
We're about 90% done with our RotoPax Mount for the FJ's. More info to follow, and bits on it on our facebook page.

Very interested in what you have going for the FJ. I just bought a couple 2 gal water tanks and mounts locally, in process of figuring out how and where I'am going to install in the FJ. I plan on getting more water tanks and some fuel tanks in the near future also.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Another idea

IMGP0326.jpg

I am just posting this to maybe give you another idea. This is the over hang on my FWC. I have 4 gallons fuel and 4 gallons water.

Jeff

STREGA

Explorer
IMGP0326.jpg

I am just posting this to maybe give you another idea. This is the over hang on my FWC. I have 4 gallons fuel and 4 gallons water.

Jeff

Creative use of a unused space. Its hard to tell in the photo but is there enough clearance between the can mount/holder and truck cab?

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Yes, I don't rush into things and do it half assed. I found that the bed moves rotationally but does not see saw up and down. I have done a lot of 4 wheelin and have had no contact what so ever (so far). The top of the cab is curved and at the center peak I have 3/4" of clearance and a lot more at the sides. I am sure that if there was substancial high speed contact with a road object, the flexing of the camper alone would allow contact with the top of the cab. I don't drive like that any more. I have had my share of high speed accidents thank you.:smiley_drive:

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan