Rubicon: Expeditions West Tacoma and EarthRoamer XV-JP

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jacket said:
Bajataco - Great review of the Tacoma performance on the Rubi. Your attention to detail was fantastic. SOunds like you weren't dependent on the front locker, but without it you may have needed to winch/tug out of some sections? The debate over whether or not a front locker is a requirement for the trail seems to go both ways...

Thanks. The front locker is just another tool on the truck. We could have made it through without it (and probably without a tug), it just would have required more time to back off and reposition, re-approach, or just stack a few rocks. The locker was more of a convenience and worked perfectly for that little bit of added traction needed to overcome the resistance. I have the front ARB locker on my own Tacoma as well, and it's the same kind of tool. I rarely use it, but it's nice to have when I need just a little bit of extra traction (so, it's a time-saver in most cases).

7wt

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Puncture resistance is mostly a characteristic of the carcass design, material and thickness (number of plies), but the tread design, depth and sidewall tread structure also plays a role.

I hear a lot of Jeep Rubicon (TJ) owner say that their MTR's never had a puncture, but then they switched to BFG's and had a puncture. My question is always. What load rating are the BFG's? Invariably, they will say C, or maybe D. Of course, the factory fitment MTRs were E, and also narrower, thereby less likely to get flat due to less track width and a stronger carcass from the load rating.
Scott,

I am putting off the purchase of new tires mostly because I don't know a lot about the tire side of the game. I have decided I want to go with a mud tread instead of an AT. The tire I am mostly considering in the Maxxis Bighorn in a 235/85. The only problem is I don't know what load rating and I am worried that a 10 ply tire will be too stiff for a light truck. Here aer the stats.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=5477 (you have to select the 235/85)

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I would also consider the BFG's but their lack of sipping has me worried about wet road performance not to mention the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior