Sönke's hard-side popup camper

haven

Expedition Leader
Sönke,
Thanks for sharing this listing, and the link to www.buschtaxi.de

I don't see the asking price listed on the web pages you listed. Do you know the price, or should we send email?

haven

Expedition Leader
I wrote to ask. Here's the response I received:

"The chassis is a 1992 HDJ80 landcruiser with coil springs, 3 electric lockers and a 4.2 turbo diesel engine, 5 gear tranny (a normal 80 series chassis). The body is from a 1974 FJ45 Pick Up, totally restored.

Have a look: http://forum.buschtaxi.org/nr3--hdj45-t22733.html

Price is 30 000€"

That's about 43,000 US dollars at today's exchange rate.

Considering the hours needed to complete the project and the level of workmanship, I think the price is fair. Remember that a vehicle like the "new school" Icon FJ45 costs $141K! http://www.icon4x4.com/inventory/new-school-fj45 And a Jeep J8 with diesel will cost somewhat more than $50K. The Heitz vehicle is 100% droolworthy, and 100% Toyota, albeit from different years.

Sadly, I think the USA Customs folks will consider this a 1992 Land Cruiser with a custom body. That means you'll have a very expensive task making the vehicle meet USA safety and emissions standards.

On the other hand, I think Canada's import rules say a diesel truck that is 15 years old may be imported without much fuss. I have a friend who lives in Vancouver...

Chip Haven

KEENO

Adventurer
Soenke....

I hope there's room on your plate for another compliment on such an awesome vehicle/camper/rig. Your truck keeps me awake at night dreaming!

Quick Question: How is the cabin mounted to the frame? Is it a solid mount or isolated with consideration for frame flexing? (ie: 3 point or 4 point system or bushings)

KEENO:)

soenke

Adventurer
Thanks Keeno,

the bottom aluminium frame of the cabine ist rubbercushioned fixed to brackets, welded onto the Cruisers frame

frame with the new breckets hanging up side down
3531516.jpg

cabin frame and rubber cushion (don´t know the english word für "silentblock")
3531678.jpg

3531515.jpg

everything in place
3531517.jpg

there is not to much flex in the Cruiser frame compared to a truck / Unimog

KEENO

Adventurer
Perfect Soenke....

I appreciate the reply and details. Very simple & straight forward!

KEENO:)

Kilroy

Adventurer
Soenke,
Your design and work are an inspiration and compelling example of what one can accomplish with the right focus and dedication. You have created a wonderful vehicle for exploring what the world has to offer. Your attention to detail is second to none. Thank you for sharing the process and your techniques.

A bit more detailed information on what you use to seal the two sections of the camper would be appreciated. Any chance of a picture of the material you use? Wondering if the material you are using might be adapted to the seal on an Alaskan camper.
Thanks.

Thanks..
Carl, no problem with the sealing of the two sections, we used a brush-sealing (?can you say so?) on top of the inner and lower wall

greetings Sönke

Christian

Adventurer
Hi Sönke

I would like to know more about your silent blocks, I have been looking around for something for our Volvo project, and have been advised to use model 17-1671-45 on this page:
http://www.mecmove.se/vibrationsdampare/trelleborg_dampare/CabMountings.pdf
To get the best noise and vibration reduction possible.
But rated at 160 kgs I would need 10, and at almost 100 € a piece I am still looking for alternatives.
I know every inch of your build is very well thought through, and I would like your thoughts on it?

Thanks again,
Christian

Big Blue

Observer
Hi Christian, moin sönke,

my rubber blocks are the original ones. I´ll ask my rubber dealer next week…

soenke

Adventurer
Hey Christian,
talked to Marcus. Just mail him, he will get the "silentblöcke" for you. They should be much cheaper then 100€/pp.
Greetings Sönke

Christian

Adventurer
Thanks alot, both Sönke and Stefan!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow so Marcus can see what I need and then I'll mail him.

Sönke, you know what I think about your Cruiser :) But Stefan yours is outstanding too, a different approach than Sönke's, but really well engineered!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears