Scoutkid's van is HERE!!!

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
OH! I almost forgot. Something followed me home on Friday before we left..

You been having lots of stuff following you home lately.... Like your style boy!
I looked for a link for ATK bike shoes for your trailer to secure Dirt Bikes... but guess they're not made anymore.
Here's the same thing though, made by a different company. They work great, never need to use any straps to secure dirt bikes.
Back in the day, towed my dirt bikes zillions of miles with these, fast load and unload.
http://www.saferwholesale.com/MOTOCROSS-DIRT-BIKE-WHEEL-CHOCK-p/tmo-wheel-chock.htm?utm_source=google+product&utm_medium=versafeed&utm_term=tmo+wheel+chock&utm_campaign=sporting+goods+outdoor+recreation+motorsports&utm_content=motocross+dirt&v_traceback=c0528_0040_f0528_0151&Click=35179&gclid=CMS32sDKp7ACFdMAQAodtBP_xg

Attachments

• wheel-chock.jpg
    wheel-chock.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,333
Last edited:

hobietony

Explorer
Just a fuel tank question...

Ok, so you had to shorten the tank to make clearance for the t-case...
your fuel tank is long and oval, my van doesnt have a tank like that, my tank is behind the rear axle and there is nothing along side the drive shaft and tranny...

My van also has a second fuel filler door, one in front of the rear wheel and one behind, the diesel goes in the rear fuel door, the front one opens but has a piece of plastic blocking it off

im guessing that my van was equipped with a after market fuel tank that is located where i would assume the spare tire goes....

anyone have any info on this...?

View attachment 101537

Anyone ever answer this? This rear tank is a ford product, installed in cab/chassis, RVs, ambos, etc. I have a 35 gallon (or so) one in my ambulance, my doner RV has a 55 gallon tank in the same location. I assume you have one because you have a dropped floor for a wheelchair accessable vehicle, and the stock tank wont fit. The stock door is what it is, so they just blank it off on the inside, and add one for the aft tank.

Oh hey, look, I see that bknudsen says he answered this. Maybe we even agree on our theory

scoutkid

Van Builder
Its been a while! I have been busy doing 'life' things - some fun, others not so much. It happens.

Anyhow, turns out the AC compressor I got used from a fellow on TheDieselStop was for the wrong year - so i tried my hand at RockAuto.com for the first time. Experience was AWESOME. Only took my new compressor a few days to get here with standard shipping.

So that went in, used some 'AC Pro' from the local parts place and Vantom is cool as a cucumber!

While I was in there - I wanted to take another crack at this oil leak. I decided to rework my CCV (crank case vent) which essentially just redirects oil laden air into your turbo... never understood that design myself.

Here is the little CCV vent in it's stock orientation.

IMG00326-20120706-1122.JPG

Pop off two small screws and looky here - a ghetto seal job!

IMG00327-20120706-1130.jpg

Both the bolt orings and CCV seals were destroyed.

IMG00329-20120706-1230.jpg

And because MEN don't half ***** things - we full ***** them:

IMG00328-20120706-1230.jpg

This is the hose that attaches to the intake of the turbo... Needless to say it got cleaned up before re-install!

IMG00331-20120706-1338.jpg

And here you can see the original piece of the intake hose that has the 3/4" CCV inlet hose attached. I just used a piece of 4" exhaust tube and cut it to length to replace it.

IMG00330-20120706-1337.jpg

I then flipped the CCV 180 degrees, so that the vent pointed toward the rear. I ran a piece of 3/4" hose from the CCV in a loop upwards (to allow condensate to drain back into motor) then down the frame rail to the back of the van. I will add an oil catch can when I find one I like, but for now smell vapors are minimized and no more motor gunk into the turbo!

Oh, and I bought this...

IMG00332-20120706-1603.jpg

The logic: I needed something which could carry the dirtbikes AND tow the camper trailer, and I wasn't willing to double tow the camper and the M101 with the van. Additionally, this is about the last year I would be able to finance a 7.3L F350 :D So, the search was on, found a good one and now I have over 40' of white Ford in my driveway..

And once behind the wheel of the truck I was reminded of how much power the 7.3's have. Made me think Vantom was a little unhealthy. My google-**** reminded me that:

Horsepower
Pickups, SUVs and vans equipped with Power Stroke engines are designed to haul heavy loads long distances. Because of this, maximum torque and horsepower output are both necessary. When placed in the Excursion, the F-250 and the F-350, the 7.3-liter produced 250 horsepower at 2,600 rpm. The 2003 7.3-liter was detuned to 215 hp at 2,600 rpm when installed in the E-350.

Torque
Torque is the twisting power that an engine produces. This rating directly affects a vehicle's ability to accelerate from a complete stop while hauling a load. The 7.3-liter produced 525 foot-pounds of torque at 1,600 rpm when installed in the 2003 Excursion. It produced 505 foot-pounds of torque at 1,600 rpm in the F-250 and F-350. Torque for the Power Stroke for E-350 vans was decreased to 425 foot-pounds at 1,800 rpm.

So... I better get that situation rectified soon. ;)

scoutkid

Van Builder
Winch Bumper

It's been too long! After a fantastic summer of camping, dirtbiking, cycling and just having fun in general, it's time to post an update. I took this week off and found my way to the local steel supply shop. I love looking through their remnant section, a deal is always to be had. So for $50, i picked up the steel to make my much needed front winch bumper.

I made myself a 5" x 47" x 1/4" mounting bar to go between the two frame horns. I took off the UJOR brace for now (will probably add it back in just for fun). I then grabbed a winch tray that I scrounged for free in some junkyard, can hold a M12000 :).

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

Then i stitched it in place:

IMAG0307.jpg

From there i did some cut and paste Cardboardshop (TM)

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

Add some gussets for pulling strength:

IMAG0309.jpg

Then break out the toys and start making sparks! Piece by piece, just tack tack tack.

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

Moar pictures later!! By the way, aside from the cradle and the frame support, the entire thing was made from one piece of 8" x 8' x 3/16" flat stock :)

scoutkid

Van Builder
Burn it is a bit and smooth it out:

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

Then pulled it off, finished up some welds on the back side, popped a few 3" holes in it for future lights, and a few light coats of primer.

IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

I'm not quite happy with how many grinder marks and tiny holes in the welds look, so i will grab some body filler and put a light skim coat on before finishing up the paint.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Every bumper starts with cardboard!! Nice job dude!

Need to get crossover steering on this rig!

Last edited:

scoutkid

Van Builder
Question: I just replaced my heater motor resistor, now i have multiple speeds again :) Whoo! Now, how come the motor blower works so well when i am on AC or Cold vent, and slows down so much when i move it to HOT? Someone must know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle