Scoutkid's van is HERE!!!

r_w

Adventurer
On your picture, it would replace the battery isolator** but with the current running the other way.

Listen to show#2 here for details: http://www.battery1234.com/

He uses his regular jumper cables to jump the starting battery from his "house" batteries--I agree that is the right answer if easily accessible.

scoutkid

Van Builder
On your picture, it would replace the battery isolator** but with the current running the other way.

Listen to show#2 here for details: http://www.battery1234.com/

He uses his regular jumper cables to jump the starting battery from his "house" batteries--I agree that is the right answer if easily accessible.

Information like this is why we are friends, you and I! THANKS!!

scoutkid

Van Builder
You still around? Hope you have avoided all the flooding! Any van news?

Heck yes i'm still around! Beaten, but not bowed. We live up at the mouth of Coal Creek canyon, and our neighborhood took quite the beating from the floods. Lots of washed out roads, flooded basements and pastures, mudslides and general mayhem.

Boulder-20130913-00563.jpg

IMG-20130913-00567.jpg

Northeast Jefferson-20130912-00530.jpg

That said, the van keeps on keeping on. Since we moved, not a lot has happened with it, too busy getting the house straightened out. We started in the kitchen/living room, which was a total gut job.

Before:

Kitchen.jpg*

During:

new post.JPG

open kitchen.JPG

Sorta after:

Boulder-20130624-00293.jpg

We did however change things up a bit for the summer and got this new rig:

P1190356 [].JPG

Its a toy hauler for the dirt bikes. Speaking of which, I tore mine down and rebuilt it from the frame up. New motor, powdercoated frame, plastics etc..

IMG-20130513-00167.jpg

We spent a LOT of time in the 5th wheel this summer, it's gonna be nice to have for a long time to come. Fear not, Vantom still gets driven near daily, and will be THE ski vehicle again this winter! With how the weather has been, we may be skiing sooner than later!

wow what a build, just spent 2.5 hours at work reading this!!!

Yeah, it is a bit long :)

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Scoutboymanbearpig-Love this build-:drool:

Did you every get the solar panels installed?

I followed you from a link Pirate 4x4, recgnize your name from Binder Planet, too.

Last edited:

scoutkid

Van Builder
Scoutboymanbearpig-Love this build-:drool:

Did you every get the solar panels installed?

I followed you from a link Pirate 4x4, recgnize your name from Binder Planet, too.

I did not :*( Once we moved into our fixer upper we sorta switched gears to home repair vs. van build. But don't worry, Vantom is still safe and sound and the dreams are still there!

First off,Sorry for digging up an old thread....Secondly...Sick build man! Any recent updates?

Thanks! Not too much to update - along with the house work I got a vehicle from work which I DD now. The van is mostly idle unless we van-camp or dirtbike or ski, which hasn't been much this year for lack of snow :/

Things I know I hate:

• The crank case vend mod

Why? It smells like HELL ALL THE TIME. I think I'm going to reverse that mod - just too much stinky crank case fumes seemingly everywhere. Oil in the turbo be damned!

rdcolorado

Observer
Hey Scoutkid, excellent build thread!

I know its been a while since you put that front end in your van but I have a question. I just bought a van and I need to redo the front end linkage.

My question is did you use the stock draglink from the axle you purchased and hook it up to the pitman arm as is, or did you have to make mods to it?

Oh, bought my van from Larry Miller right up there near Golden. Also happen to have a '79 Scout sitting around too. Nothing like yours but ... it is a Scout.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78