Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Cab lights on the roof are notorious for leaking. Break out the silicone.
No stains in the headliner, no obvious water coming down the A pillars that I can find..... I did see a little wet spot under the parking brake, but that may have just been residual from the last trip. Its raining good today so I will take a peek there again.

patoz

Expedition Leader
What about around you heat and air system in the dash above the passenger's feet? My weather is the complete opposite of yours, but I have noticed a small puddle of water on the passenger side floorboard every now and then. It's usually in the morning, so I'm guessing it may be condensation on the outside of the A/C coils which formed during the night after using it and shutting down the truck.

Also, a couple of weeks ago I went out to go somewhere and my windows were all fogged up like your'es on the inside, which has never happened since I've owned the truck. It had been raining for about three days straight, so maybe that had something to do with it.

java

Expedition Leader
Heat comes from the center area.... I'm just getting home, so I'll go take a look in a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
And a question..... Does it look like I may have a leak in the cab somewhere? That is condensed on the inside..... (remember the heat is on pretty high in there, but it hasn't rained in a week) I see that quite often on the inside, although not usually so much.

32331597648_892b46c85c_b.jpg

It could be just some residual moisture from your last trip and wet clothes in the rig. You have the pass through open all the time right? Any moisture in the camper portion? I would also check where any wires you had put through the firewall (if any) to make sure its sealed up nice as well. Unfortunately moisture in the cab usually takes quite a while to get out from my experience. I suppose you could also try some air dryers from the local hardware store.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
not sure if water gets the back window or how the gasket/3rd brake light is back there.... but my 96 ram's back window had a tiny leak that i didn't realize until a hurricane hit (NC) = musty/moldy smell...then saw a dark area along the rocker panel = soaked carpet... pulled the seats out and voila mold and mildew. Took a garden hose to finally find the leak in the back window.

on my 2012 f150 there were quite a few guys had leaks around the 3rd brake lights - so many that I proactively took it out and sealed it up.... water will always find a way to get where it wants to go, and beyond just the rust problems the smell of that mildewed carpet never went away (the Ram).

just some thoughts of potential intrusion point if that's what is happening

java

Expedition Leader
It could be just some residual moisture from your last trip and wet clothes in the rig. You have the pass through open all the time right? Any moisture in the camper portion? I would also check where any wires you had put through the firewall (if any) to make sure its sealed up nice as well. Unfortunately moisture in the cab usually takes quite a while to get out from my experience. I suppose you could also try some air dryers from the local hardware store.

It could be moisture. I did not get time to look yesterday in the rain. Dehumidifier is in the truck after last weekend. Pass through is open ish (moving blanket cover on it.

not sure if water gets the back window or how the gasket/3rd brake light is back there.... but my 96 ram's back window had a tiny leak that i didn't realize until a hurricane hit (NC) = musty/moldy smell...then saw a dark area along the rocker panel = soaked carpet... pulled the seats out and voila mold and mildew. Took a garden hose to finally find the leak in the back window.

on my 2012 f150 there were quite a few guys had leaks around the 3rd brake lights - so many that I proactively took it out and sealed it up.... water will always find a way to get where it wants to go, and beyond just the rust problems the smell of that mildewed carpet never went away (the Ram).

just some thoughts of potential intrusion point if that's what is happening

3rd brake light does not hardly see any moisture being under the cabover. Back windows are metal panels :D

I am leaning towards possibly worn door seals, I get a little wind noise, the ford trucks are kinda known for crap weather strip and it has 120k on it now. Will look for water entry spots....

JSwanson

Observer
I just read through all 83 pages over the last couple days. Great build and a fun read. Im to fat for the rock climbing but enjoy the pics. Glad to see you use the rig so much. I really like the new wheel/tire combo. Keep it up I'm gonna follow your Instagram also.

java

Expedition Leader
I just read through all 83 pages over the last couple days. Great build and a fun read. Im to fat for the rock climbing but enjoy the pics. Glad to see you use the rig so much. I really like the new wheel/tire combo. Keep it up I'm gonna follow your Instagram also.
Glad you enjoyed it!! Climbing is a great workout :) I really like the tire and wheels too. It's working well so far. Thanks for the follow!

java

Expedition Leader
Spent the last weekend at Mt Baker, snow was great Saturday and turned to rain Sunday morning....

32485701648_58a560511b_b.jpg

44540862790_6eff24d3ed_b.jpg

Really bad Avy conditions so we stayed in bounds. Just skinned up Sunday morning.

45634655224_f011ec4ec6_b.jpg

And a little truck issue..... The awning met its demise..... Friday it was raining when we got there, I put the awning out, it turned to snow.... Tried to crank it in and the gears stripped. It was downhill from there. Tried to manually put it in, so I could strap it closed, arms broke, I ended up on a snow covered roof cutting it loose..... UGH!

45457490645_661fa6733a_b.jpg

Got all the parts home, the arm hinges are what broke.... Appear to be cast aluminum. I may be able to fix/rebuild them. But holy hell the replacement fabric is $$$$$. It was a frustrating night.

Last edited:

Third

Conditions look GREAT. Sure wish I could still ski.

Bummer on the awning. I wonder if anyone has ever done some heating element just for that purpose.

java

Expedition Leader
Conditions look GREAT. Sure wish I could still ski.

Bummer on the awning. I wonder if anyone has ever done some heating element just for that purpose.
Haven't seen a heating element, interesting idea! A carbon film wouldn't seem hard to integrate.

Conditions were good one day, bad the next! Damn rain.

java

Expedition Leader
Wrap up from a busy last couple of weeks!

Got some great snow, spent 11 days straight in the truck.
32776304258_b766734baa_b.jpg

Couple nights at Whistler.
45926240994_7374124aa7_b.jpg

Dog and lunch time. Bumper BBQ is awesome.
46598382912_61b02b9513_b.jpg

New tires are working well, rub like hell in the front on the drivers side.... I think Bushwacker cut outs are in order.
46650974841_c77bbdf651_b.jpg

Stayed in Bend at Mt Bachelor for a few days. Great snow! Then Blizzard when we tried to leave.
45926234984_97178e27d9_b.jpg

Skinned up the Cone for some fresh turns
46650969461_f255ff573d_b.jpg

Dont leave the storage door cracked open..... (I have a temp sensor in there so I usually just leave it unlatched) Drifted inside it...
32776274118_e15b71ce4c_b.jpg

Dog Snuggles.
46598235942_cf88f503a5_b.jpg

Not bad after a WINDY night. Sled drove me nuts flapping around.
31709411807_a0c904bca7_b.jpg

45735869375_447e18cef2_b.jpg

32776096818_7cb60fb57c_b.jpg

39685503833_3e758e4372_b.jpg

Morning to leave.....ICE, a lot of ice on everything and howling winds.... Good thing we weren't skiing that day!
45925919384_ea419fe112_b.jpg

Crap tastic drive over the passes by Mt Hood. Semis jacknifed on the road, up and down hill, guy with a big enclosed snowmobile trailer between them, and the snow was POLISHED. And... the plows had not gone by to sand yet..... Idled down in first gear, but that was a nail biter.

Stopped for lunch on the downhill side.
39685498023_e589ee2334_b.jpg

Made it home just fine after that. But I blew the truck up..... Somehow an exhaust stud in the EGR crossover pipe broke off. Stopped at a rest area, and maybe the heat/cool cycle did it, but either way, massive squealing exhaust leak now.... Its going to the shop, will get up pipes and the big oil leak done too. Hard to drive right now though, cant make boost well, so EGT go up, slow down, more load.... Yeah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998