Snow Peak Addiction

huskyfargo

Adventurer
sorta...I didn't have anything else I really cared to use my dividend for, so I used it. I didn't pay a penny out of pocket.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Just wanted to let all of our portal friends/Snow Peak addicts know that we at Equipt Expedition Outfitters started a new promotion today. For the month of May we will include FREE SHIPPING on the Snow Peak Giga Power 2 Way Torch. Use Coupon Code: ExPo512

Here is the link: http://equipt.webvanta.com/companies/Fire/product-snow-peak/578797-gigapower-2-way-torch

See you at EXPO!

Benjie Edmonson
Dir. Of Marketing
Equipt Expedition Outfitters
www.equipt1.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Honu

lost on the mainland
I LOVE my GS-1000! Although most Snow Peak gear represents great design and engineering the GS-1000 is at their pinnacle IMO. I made an adapter so I can run it on bulk propane...kind of important when you're pulling up to 34,000 btus!

Still have your gs-1000 ?

Curious how it is on the propane any heat loss etc..

Also how does it simmer
Fuel consumption ?
Any thoughts compared to partner steel ?

Thanks for any feedback thoughts :)

We do pasta etc.. So boil power is nice but also love to saute foods for some things so like lower temp controls to :)
Want to work with butter and not burn it but also have it easy to get to that perfect bubble seperation state if ya know what I mean :)

Still learning the baja ? Not sure seems a bit touchy on the low temps for me ?
But love the build quality

Now thinKing do I add a giga burner or get a partner steel to modify into my igt so I can also drop a griddle on it ? As I love griddle cooking

Thanks again

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Still have your gs-1000 ? Yes...but I haven't used it in a while. When I got it I was in a wok cooking phase...but the past year + I've not been 'wokking' :D

Curious how it is on the propane any heat loss etc.. Well...if you're going to use all of its 34,000btus then yes it will run right through the intended fuel canisters. That is why I came up with a propane adapter for bulk tank feeding.

Also how does it simmer? Fine (unless wind overcomes its windscreen...) The flame control valve is higher quality than what Partner is using. My Partner Steel stove's flame control valves are sticky and somewhat imprecise in comparison...mostly noticeable and a little irritating when trying to get a low flame.
Fuel consumption ?
Any thoughts compared to partner steel ? Two completely different stoves. The GS-1000 is bulky to store/carry in the truck...and now at $350 its very hard to justify for a single burner unit. One nit: It can be a challenge to level the stove off due to comparatively big leg adjustments. But other than that the overall quality of its design, build and components will not leave you wanting.

The Partner Steel stove is not perfect although nothing else compares in this style of stove either. If you get the windscreen option the little wire attachments that connect the sides of the windscreen to the stove case only work in a slight breeze...any real wind will overpower them and render them useless (lots of cussing went on about these little irritants on our somewhat windy Death Valley trip a couple months ago); I had to re-engineer them...something I felt I should not have had to do.

Another little nit about the PS: They are supposedly designed for group use (rafting first and foremost) but the burner diameter really is not well suited for more than a 10" diameter pan...12"+ are a chore (all assuming you are cooking something that needs better heat control from pan edge to pan edge). This is the same problem with every other portable stoves I've used/owned with the exception of the very large and bulky Camp Chef units. The GS-1000's burner is a more efficient design IMO and better suited for all pan sizes including pan's up to about 16" diameter and/or wok cooking (it will turn a wok cherry red if you aren't paying attention).

Thanks for any feedback thoughts :)

We do pasta etc.. So boil power is nice but also love to saute foods for some things so like lower temp controls to :)
Want to work with butter and not burn it but also have it easy to get to that perfect bubble seperation state if ya know what I mean :)

Still learning the baja ? Not sure seems a bit touchy on the low temps for me ?
But love the build quality

Now thinKing do I add a giga burner or get a partner steel to modify into my igt so I can also drop a griddle on it ? As I love griddle cooking

Thanks again

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland

I guess the gas consumption thing how quick did the GS-1000 suck through a 500g canister ?

I know looking at the burn time SP has on their site their two burner seems to be twice as efficient as even their baja burner !!! makes me wonder if I should just get one of those and or convert it to propane? might have to research how they are !!!
500g on a baja says 120 minutes which so far seems about correct
the dual stove says 260 minutes ?

ever use one of the 2 burner models ?

Maybe Ho knows ? I think I have seen him use the dual stove

that is also my problem with the coleman etc.. is finicky control and tiny burner !
at times I think of converting over so they work in the IGT somehow one of the camp chef stoves ? either the blind stove with the big cast aluminum burners or their Everst stove and see how that works ?

on a espresso note :)
I still have to get my pasquini going again :) its sitting in the garage :) along with the two drawer base they had for it :)
I keep meaning to go over it
problem is with my Elektra I dont have the need now I sold the trailer ? not sure what I will do but have thought of selling it now
again it worked then the switch quit working on the front ? and since I was getting the elektra put it away
not sure if you know any other Pasquini people that need a base ? or might go over put up a add on CG ?

Last edited:

Lennart

Adventurer
Hi guys (and girls),

This does seem fitting for my first post: My name is Lennart and I have a serious problem :)

This is me on my last expedition, 400 km into the arctic circle in Norway.
Lennart_at_Shelter.jpg

This is me coming back to civilization (snow miner on the head ;))
Fire_House.jpg

Here is my problem:
P1040924.JPG

201205pinksteren12.jpg

P1040940.JPG

P1050911.JPG

vakantiesetup.JPG

P1040741.JPG

big.jpg

247528_178378362217642_3291867_n.jpg

255602_178589868863158_7736832_n.jpg

I thought I was alone but I seem to have found others like me here on the web.
Is it too late to ask for help?

Lennart

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Whoa Lennart! Now that's cooking outdoors in style! And a pig on a rotisserie? I need to camping with you if I'm in Netherlands.

Lennart

Adventurer
Whoa Lennart! Now that's cooking outdoors in style! And a pig on a rotisserie? I need to camping with you if I'm in Netherlands.

The pig is a lamb and the rotisserie is just an aluminum pole on some wooden supports, but yes when I go camping nobody goes hungry :D

Honu

lost on the mainland
fun to see other addicts :) hahahhh
never seen a pig cooked that way ? fish yes pig no :) then again I am used to burying them in the ground to cook them

cool stuff keep posting more pics :)

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
Hi guys (and girls),

This does seem fitting for my first post: My name is Lennart and I have a serious problem :)

I thought I was alone but I seem to have found others like me here on the web.
Is it too late to ask for help?

Lennart

You really have a problem...................Welcome!

:Wow1: It looks like you can help us.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
The pig is a lamb and the rotisserie is just an aluminum pole on some wooden supports, but yes when I go camping nobody goes hungry :D

Mmm...mmm...I love eating lamb!

Lennart the Iron, correction, Titanium :chef: of the Outdoors

Hafwit

Adventurer
You just made me feel a lot better. I thought I had a problem........wow! I'm glad to see you are making good use of all the SP gear.

Cheers,
Greg

Lennart

Adventurer
How long would a lamb take to cook like that?

It took six hours. It was a hobo rotisserie, so I ducttaped a spanner to the end of the aluminum pole and turned it every couple of minutes by hand. What a day that was :sombrero:

@ Honu: I agree fish is great this way as well
420649_2917568772991_172123612_n.jpg

When I was doing a spot of bushcrafting in Schotland we had a go at some sort of hangi with a leg of venison. Real tasty!

I agree that SP gear is there to be used. It is not just pretty :)

Cassoulet in the DO
cassolet.JPG

Eryngii in the micro pot:
P1040945.JPG

Grilled flank steak and tomatoes and goatcheese in the micro capsule
P1050003.JPG

P1050010.JPG

Vongole anyone?
P1050914.JPG

This was last weekend
SAM_0567.JPG

Gotta love the micro pot range....