SoCal Snow Run

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We headed up 138 to the 173 and up the mountain towards Arrowhead. Snow was really really icy. It was either hard packed, slippery or you were falling through losing traction. Wasn't like last year AT ALL. Last year was fluffy and we drove anywhere we wanted. It was basically fresh powder. This year we had to work to get anywhere. The 80 broke trail. We made it further than anyone else yesterday. Had to winch out a FJcruiser and push a RAV4. Other than that everything was un-eventful. Fun times.. on with the pics..

Northbound I-15 looking at Baldy.

Heading up the 173

Once on top of the mountain the 173 turns back into pavement from dirt. Notice the dividing yellow line.

Our first stop of the day. A couple thinking they can take their RAV4 anywhere. Even with chains they couldn't get around this corner. We pushed them back onto the road and advised them to head back down. They listened to us.

Proceeding onward. Notice, no tracks out in front.

Dixie trying to figure out what the hell we are doing out here. (her first time in snow)

Yosh's first time sledding.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ringin10 and his WJ. His first time snow wheelin.

About 6 miles in we hit Willow Creek Jeep trail. .. about 1/4 mile into the trail we hit this grade. There was no way to get past it without chains.

So we jumped back down the hills and proceeded into the valley more towards Arrowhead.

We stopped for lunch and sledding just before the gun range.

Dixie again, trying to figure out why the hell we would want to get out in this crap. She ended up having a blast.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
My absolute favorite pic of the trip..

After lunch we had some fun.

Mr. Toads wild ride

After playing in the snow for a good hour we noticed the next storm approaching. So we decided that we wouldn't push any further but rather head back down the mtn.

Beautiful Rocks covered in white.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
On the way down we passed a FJcruiser that was on his way up. He was all alone. We advised him of how far we got and that another storm was on its way. He proceeded on after we passed him. 10 minutes later we got a call on the CB that he was stuck and needed help. We turned around and winched him back online.

Needless to say he followed us down after that. lol

Nice little waterfall on the way back down the mtn.

Pacific Crest trail

Silverwood Lake

That's about it.. nothing too eventful. Our plan was to make our way over to a buddies cabin in Fawnskin, which would have been nearly impossible. I'll post a

rionorte

Awesome pics Dave!
Nice work on helping out. :26_7_2:
It was good for the FJC guy to have a CB with him on his trek up. Im just wondering why he carried on when he got stuck the first time. Did he even have chains?

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
That thin section of road with the cliff on one side and ice every where else doe's look a little spooky but fun, it's nice to see some moisture on the SoCal hills, well needed. Cool pic's looked like fun.:26_7_2:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Bluto, i have no clue what the guy in the FJ was thinking going up alone. Nope, no chains either.

Ih8RDS, Im locked up front and rear yes. Ringin10's WJ wasn't. Even locked up that hill , all 4 wheels would just spin. It was really icy hard packed snow. It would have been better if it was fresh IMHO.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
No pics of Big Dave on that little orange sled? :peepwall:

A great set Dave. Kudos for helping out others on the trail. I'm sure they both saw your rig and were immediately relieved. So would the sand ladders work on the snow for someone in the FJ's position? Seems like they would but I have no experience with them.

IH8RDS

Explorer
SOCALFJ said:
Ih8RDS, Im locked up front and rear yes. Ringin10's WJ wasn't. Even locked up that hill , all 4 wheels would just spin. It was really icy hard packed snow. It would have been better if it was fresh IMHO.

gotcha

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Awesome pics!! I wanted to go out today, working at home instead!! Glad you got out and enjoyed it!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
kcowyo said:
No pics of Big Dave on that little orange sled? :peepwall:

A great set Dave. Kudos for helping out others on the trail. I'm sure they both saw your rig and were immediately relieved. So would the sand ladders work on the snow for someone in the FJ's position? Seems like they would but I have no experience with them.

hahahah yeah there's a pic of me sledding on our website writeup....
don't hurt your eyes.. http://www.adventureduo.com/2008/01/socal-snow-run.html

In the conditions we were in , i think you'd just spin your tires on the sand ladders. The tires were iced up pretty good. We should have tried it though!

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
As soon as I get them uploaded on youtube...I'll post the links to Big Dave's wild sled ride!!!

The ride was a lot of fun. It was a much needed escape out of town for a day for some fresh air, sun & snow!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Two vehicles traveling alone in the snow and both needed an assist. Something to think about.

Thank you very much for sharing:beer:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Love the photos, the white snow and blue sky are a nice contrast. Glad you were there to help out the folks who tried to go alone. :26_7_2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan