Stolen Adventure Trailer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
ThunderbirdJunkie said:
Did you or any of your employees write the plate #, or was it the customer that wrote it?

Also...how extensive of a background check will you do in the future to renters? I know I'm not a criminal, and about 4 pages of stuff dating back to 1994 (back when i was in 7th grade and more interested in TPing houses) that include violent crimes and aggravated robbery. Most background check companies don't check SSN's because it takes too much time. This is something else to consider...because they could miss things, too...like reversing what's happened to me. Guy convicted of murder, broke outta prison, stole a Land Rover, on the run, with 3 or 4 stolen credit cards...but if they just run the name and a county, like what's been done with my botched background checks...a lot of that would never show up.

Also...do you have any information about their house burning down? maybe a link to a news article?

Well we haven't determined what steps we will implement at this point. All of those I mentioned just make the whole experience a pain for everyone.

Maybe we'll get out of renting completely. Any steps we implement can be viewed as unfair or over zealous from one side or another.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was unfair or overzealous...was just curious if you'd thought that far.

You've got a really awesome, high-end specialty product. People are lucky that you'd consider renting them at all IMO. I think you'd be perfectly in line with whatever you'd use, and anybody that thinks otherwise should pay for anything that may come up missing in the future;)

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Sorry to hear about the incident.

For future trailer builds, there are a few tracking systems out there that can be discreetly mounted and their battery life should last several weeks. Using rechargeable battery packs you could also make these recharge using the running lights on the trailer.

The ones we've experimented with respond to a query from a cell phone and will reply with their location in GPS coordinates.

Best of luck with the recovery.

Martyn

Oman4x4 said:
Sorry to hear about the incident.

For future trailer builds, there are a few tracking systems out there that can be discreetly mounted and their battery life should last several weeks. Using rechargeable battery packs you could also make these recharge using the running lights on the trailer.

The ones we've experimented with respond to a query from a cell phone and will reply with their location in GPS coordinates.

Best of luck with the recovery.

What are you experimenting with?

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Martyn said:
What are you experimenting with?

Some colleagues at work got a few samples in to check out.

I didn't want a test-unit on my vehicle as I don't want people checking up on me... but after seeing this thread I think I'll be fitting one.

Don't know the supplier / make / model details though. I'm sure a google search would pull up a few companies that are local that do this kind of product.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
All this time and they've not been spotted anywhere?
Must have gone to ground.

Wonder if the children's grandparents have heard from them lately?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
ntsqd said:
All this time and they've not been spotted anywhere?

As i said before, i am willing to bet, they are South of The Border!

ntsqd said:
Wonder if the children's grandparents have heard from them lately?

I was thinking the same thing yesterday!

There is a lot more at stake here then a trailer, if these people are truly running from the law and kids are involved, thats a whole new ball game!

One that i hope ends peacefully but with some good "Right Hand Justice" :mad:

sgt rock

Adventurer
be on the look out~

ujoint said:
Gear said:
Well it has been removed from JKforum by the owner. If you are not a paying vendor he does not allow you to post. :(
Gear said:
I knew that would happen!! The worst forum in the world!! That guy is a freak.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

well said !! when i posted pics of my adventure trailer he took my pic off...

anyways posted on myspace with my army of 2100 desert, jeep and outdoor lovers! posted as a blog and blast!!!

http://www.myspace.com/desertmagazine

Rockster

Martyn

Our thoughts are that they are doing some long term "camping" right now.

I have been in touch with his family, none of them had any idea he was heading out West. He did have plans to camp all summer on some land he was planning on buying, but from what we can gather the sales never went through or still have to be closed on.

No real news from the family, they said they haven’t been in contact with Jeremy Deckling for sometime. Other family members are not happy with him. They are concerned about the children, as are we.

The idea they are doing some extended camping would explain the generator they had with them.

With all the public lands in the West it's easy to find a remote camping spot and hang out for a while. My guess would be they will be spotted by someone in a 4X4 out enjoying a trail or doing some camping.

Now more than ever it's a matter of staying vigilant and remembering we are looking for a 2008, 4 door, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Black, with a winch on the front. It has Ohio plates.

To date the tow vehicle and trailer have not been sighted going into Mexico.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
A few thoughts;

Water and food will be a constant need for these folks - The Trailer will most likely be parked in a remote location. I would take a guess and say there will be weekly runs out into the public for both food and water/supplies.

VikingVince

Explorer
Dude...That's exactly what I've been thinking...seems to be it's much more likely that someone will spot just the Black Wrangler than the Wrangler and trailer together. That's why I keep my lookout for the vehicle alone and I suggest others do the same.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
VikingVince said:
Dude...That's exactly what I've been thinking...seems to be it's much more likely that someone will spot just the Black Wrangler than the Wrangler and trailer together. That's why I keep my lookout for the vehicle alone and I suggest others do the same.
Broke the speed limit by a lot until I could see that it was a CA vanity plate......
Didn't really expect to see them on the CA coast, but.....

MichaelW

Observer
Didn't have any spottings.....

Went through Nevada to Phoenix/Tucson then down to Chiracaua and a side trip to Rodeo, New Mexico and a crossing through the mountains. Then headed back via Globe, Roosevelt Lake, Payson, Sedona, Flagstaff, Page, Kanab, Mesquite, Rachael, Tonopah, Hawthorne, Yerington and Carson City.

I was on the look out though.

Martyn

Urgent

Need to contact a Portal member in the Fort Meyers Florida Area

PM- e mail0 or call 877-661-8097

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member