Summer cottage

beardus supremous

Adventurer
After checking my wallet, bank account, and stashes, I realized that building an offroad trailer was going to be on an extreme budget. However, not just an offroad trailer, whatever I built needed to be a summer cottage for my wife (Lacey) and I who are raft guides. After searching for an old school camper, pop ups, and thinking of building one from scratch... a couple expo searches and googles searches made up my mind and my budget. I bought this Wells Cargo 5x8 enclosed trailer 3 years ago to move to Florida/ and then back, then all over Maine; I already own it and its registered, why not build this up! So here it is.
image.jpg
Two years ago moving from Old Town, Maine

beardus supremous

Adventurer
image.jpg
After deciding to build the trailer, I first needed to extract it from this years snow. Plus a chance to use my winch.
image.jpg
A shot of the interior beforehand, with the cheap cardboardish walls. Or what ever it is referred to.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
Time for some insulation and walls. It was quite nice to cut the insulation to fit between the framing and when the walls and roof were installed, everything was flush.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Also, I did not get photos, but I cut the walls and insulation to fit in the windows. I should have cut the inner walls slightly larger though to get it to fit better/ flush. I still got them in and sealed.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
image.jpg
Walls and ceiling insulated, walls/ ceiling installed, angled boards put in between wall and ceiling. As for the very front gap, I just put insulation there for now until I can cut a piece to fit perfect.
image.jpg
One of my favorite things to install was not just a way in, but a way OUT. Ordered an RV door latch off of Ebay.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
The bed setup was a hard setup for me to figure out, as Lacey and I will be living in this all summer I needed storage space as well. So this is what I came up with. The two side boards are not the same material as the walls because of availability in the area I bought them. The two sides have hinges so they come up for Lacey's side and my side clothing. The center two boards come out as well if needed. I was given a brand new futon mattress, which works great to get into the compartments and doubles as a couch if necessary. Then the front I installed a small shelf for little things from leftover wood. I plan on getting a good slice of oak or cedar later on.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

beardus supremous

Adventurer
Trying to use a bit more space, TP, PT holders and a couple other screws to hold the sweeper and extra bags. Thought about making a table setup here, but already have two I don't need another. There is also a fire extinguisher on the left hand wall with a clock, and a coat hanger on the right hand wall.
image.jpg

beardus supremous

Adventurer
This is our spot for the summer, with a 10x10 canopy that was given to me and a shot of a small firepit from a truck rim we have. It's a bit cleaner now since this photo was taken a month ago. Still need to find a way to keep my fly rods and guide/ kayak paddles somewhere.
image.jpg
image.jpg

beardus supremous

Adventurer
I have not done much else to the trailer at the moment because of funding, a place to work on it, and quite frankly we are living in it. However before I started the build, when I ordered the windows I also ordered a new leaf sprung axle off of Ebay. That is in my parents garage until the fall when I will install it. It's the same bolt pattern as the jeep as well. My brother has a couple jeep rims that are going to go on as well as either 30s or 31s. Hope to install a pintle hook as well. The builds not over, it's just on hold for the summer.
image.jpg
Also a photo threw the woods to its spot, everything stayed together which was a plus, can't wait for the new axle/ tires.
image.jpg

dakota123

Adventurer
pretty awesome so far! was looking at building off this kind of platform as well but found an old 1960's's truck bed someone made a trailer out of.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Nice job. That model trailer looks like you could convert it to a pop top and have a second story.

I'm trying to figure out why, with a mobile home like that, you couldn't visit your parents for the weekend and swap axles? Why are you anchored to that spot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior