Summer cottage

beardus supremous

Adventurer
Nice job. That model trailer looks like you could convert it to a pop top and have a second story.

I'm trying to figure out why, with a mobile home like that, you couldn't visit your parents for the weekend and swap axles? Why are you anchored to that spot?

I could absolutely change over the axle in a weekend, however because of very unsmart reasons I do not have a license at this moment in time. Hence the short budget and getting it to where it is for the summer.
As for a pop top I've been toying with an idea like vw vanagon top, simple and elegant.

And jonnyquest, its is a Liquid Logic Remix 69.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
After checking my wallet, bank account, and stashes, I realized that building an offroad trailer was going to be on an extreme budget. However, not just an offroad trailer, whatever I built needed to be a summer cottage for my wife (Lacey) and I who are raft guides. After searching for an old school camper, pop ups, and thinking of building one from scratch... a couple expo searches and googles searches made up my mind and my budget. I bought this Wells Cargo 5x8 enclosed trailer 3 years ago to move to Florida/ and then back, then all over Maine; I already own it and its registered, why not build this up! So here it is.
View attachment 290857
Two years ago moving from Old Town, Maine

I was asking about these. Is the one on the right a square back canoe? You should post some info about your boats in the "Adventure Activites-Water Sports" section. I bought a 17' Grumman canoe last summer and love it. I already want another. Headed out to Canyon Lake AZ tomorrow.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
Oh gotcha. I have posted a couple things in the water sports section before. The one on the jeep is an Old Town Charles River, and the boat on the trailer is an Old Town LL Bean edition Penobscot 174, cut in half. One half is on top of the other half; I worked at Old Town Canoe and when there was a bad boat they cut it in half and discarded it. I grabbed this before I left so my father could build a couple book shelves with it for camp.

PCO6

Adventurer
I think this kind of enclosed trailer makes for a great expedition trailer. Kind of like a tear drop trailer ... without the "drop". Nice job!

beardus supremous

Adventurer
It has been a bit since I have updated either one of my builds, so I guess there is no time like the present.
After living in my trailer over the summer, I learned a couple things and figured I should improve upon them. This began as dismantling the trailer back to square one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

003suns

Nice use of an old friend! Looks great but why the deconstruction to the frame?

Last edited:

beardus supremous

Adventurer
Nice use of an old friend! Looks great but why the deconstruction to the frame?
Thanks, I had it forever and got it dirt cheap, figured it was easier than starting new. As for deconstruction, I built it fairly quickly last year and did not install a vent fan. Living in it this summer I got mold inside, so installing a fan and solar setup.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
After having the new axle sitting around for a year, I finally ordered the mounting brackets and decided to swap it out.

Getting the old axle out of the way.

New axle in, a but of a difference now. Still stock wheels/ tires, but 31s will be installed later this week.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
In the process of building, I also decided I needed a way to hook to the back of the trailer for recovery purposes. These were my solution welded to the frame.

Grabbed some steel from work and made these up.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
I scored a parts jeep the other day for $500, and it has a lot of good stuff I will be using for the trailer and for my xj. This one also has 31's and two sets of rims and tires. The aftermarket rims are the right offset to fit the trailer so I was really happy about not having to run spacers.

kpredator

Adventurer
nice build

a fantastic fan
a pvc tube for your rods
and a screened in door in the rear or mosquito tent for more ventilation.

what rivers do you guide on??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior