Summitbeerowl's 93 Toyota Truck Build

4runnerteq

Explorer
Man dude, that looks awesome. I love those trucks. Id buy every one I could find if I had the money. Ill try and get some pics of my two sons trucks I bought them when they got their license. One of them is 25 and has had his since 16. One is a 92, the other a 93. Both 4cyl, 4wd, automatic, reg cab. Almost as rare as hens teeth.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
Man dude, that looks awesome. I love those trucks. Id buy every one I could find if I had the money. Ill try and get some pics of my two sons trucks I bought them when they got their license. One of them is 25 and has had his since 16. One is a 92, the other a 93. Both 4cyl, 4wd, automatic, reg cab. Almost as rare as hens teeth.

Thanks for the complement! I look forward to seeing your pics. Always nice to get fresh ideas and see what others have done.

Thoryota

Observer
Looks killer Summitbeerowl. Love the stance. Your set up kinda has me rethinking the 12.50 width tire and going back to a 10.50. Looks awesome.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
Well, the trucks at the Toyota shop right now getting some work done. Had the torsion bars put on this morning and took it for a spin. Can't really tell the difference between the new and the old yet but only drove it around a couple of blocks. The tech said he was able to get another 1.25" of lift. Now I'll have to find a lift of the same height for the back. Any ideas? Well, of course being in the shop they decided I needed more stuff done. Apparently the idler arm is pretty loose so having a new one put on. Wow, big price difference between the two they have. $65 or $180. They say the cheaper one is good for about 25,000 miles. The more expensive is heavy duty and and has a lifetime warranty. I'm a sucker so I went with the expensive one. Also getting everything aligned so I'm sure this will be an unpleasant bill. Guess I'll know shortly.

Clay

Adventurer
ARB Old man emu springs would be a good match for the rear.

If you are going to stick with IFS then it's a good idea to get a spare idler arm and keep it in the truck. They are easy to break, but also easy to repair.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
ARB Old man emu springs would be a good match for the rear.

If you are going to stick with IFS then it's a good idea to get a spare idler arm and keep it in the truck. They are easy to break, but also easy to repair.

Probably would be a good fit. but I only need one more inch of height.
Pulled it into the garage and took a measurement. The front is exactly one inch higher.
When I put a level on the box, the rear is just barely up from level. But I think a little increase will look much better.

Clay

Adventurer
Probably would be a good fit. but I only need one more inch of height.
Pulled it into the garage and took a measurement. The front is exactly one inch higher.
When I put a level on the box, the rear is just barely up from level. But I think a little increase will look much better.
That might change when you put the camper on, but a longer shackle might be the ticket.

Thoryota

Observer
I am with Clay on the longer shackle. The front end might also settle a little so take that into consideration. As far as the idler arm I have been running the FA5040 from Autozone. Think its around 35 or so dollars. Been abusing it for a little over two years now. Haven't had a problem with it so far. When it fails after the lift I will upgrade to the Total Chaos braced idler arm. Its around 400 dollars but I have never heard of anyone breaking one.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
I like the shackle idea. Seems nice and simple. Anywhere you recommend to buy? Again, I only need to lift the rear one inch higher.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I would skip the longer shackle and go with a set of Old Man Emu springs for the rear, especially if you are still running the Northwest Off-road rear springs. I ran a full set of their springs back in the day on an '81 pickup and I can honestly say that they were the harshest riding springs I have ever ridden on! They were so stiff that they barely flexed on the trail! Had them on the truck for 3-4 years and they never got softer.
I now have the Old Man Emu's on the rear of my '89 extra cab pickup and can't say enough good things about them. They started out at around 2"-2 1/2" of lift and settled to about 1 1/2" of lift. I've had them on for about 4 years now and consider them to be one of the best bang for the $ mods I've made to my truck. They ride nice and flex well.
I started the rear suspension of my truck with worn stock springs and longer shackels to gain some height and it rode kind of harsh. The OME springs fixed that problem. Worth the extra couple hundred dollars.
Don't know how to post a shortcut to my build page but if you go to my page I did a little write up a few years ago on what a budget suspension for our trucks can do.
Glad you decided to fix up your truck instead of getting rid of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12