Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

JamesC

Adventurer
+1 on the Skottle fit kit for a Snow Peak IGT Table. We were discussing it in the SP thread and there is a simple wire structure that could be used that mimics once of their designs. Lots of snow peak fans around :)

https://store.snowpeak.co.jp/page/288

502_main_430x323.jpg

11571_main_430x323.jpg

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Harbinger808, the leg spread is approximately 18" or the same as the Skottle pan. The legs themselves are 1" diameter.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
We do have a new recipe from our friends at Blueridge Overland Gear.

20160121_120621.jpg

Brown sugar Ham

– What you’ll need:

Thick sliced, precooked ham, cut into 2″ pieces
Dark brown sugar
1 stick of butter

This part is pretty easy. Put skottle on a low heat setting. Place a couple slices of stick butter in the middle. When the butter is melted and bubbling, drop in ham slices. Cover each piece of ham with a dusting of brown sugar. Sizzle ham in brown sugar and butter until browned.

The meal can be served with Cheesy Hashbrowns and biscuits.

spoolup

Looks good, and a stick of butter makes everything taste amazing.

So Ive been using my skottle here and there, but I was craving Korean food last night, and now that the only decent korean restaurant I found has new staff and the food sucks. I figured ******, Ill try to cook it. Searched for a recipe for Bulgogi. Started the marinade last night. This evening I started the rice in the rice cooker and ran outside to a prepped skottle. I think it turned out awesome and family devoured it. I served it on red lettuce with rice, match stick cut veggies, fermented cabbage (could not locate kimchi so I used curtido, mexican with carrots and peppers, which is similar), then top with meat. DAM was it good and the cooking out front on the skottle made sure the entire neighborhood smelled it. We received 7 or so inches of snow today, so it was plenty cold and it still performed well.

Push the browned meat to the edges and toss on more in the center to be cooked, the skottle is awesome. Thanks again to Tembo Tusk.
bulgogi%201_zps8wpodjcg.jpg

bulgogi%202_zps0qjw9sbb.jpg

bulgogi%203_zpspayxmw5y.jpg

Here is the recipe I used. I doubled it since I wanted left overs, its a keeper in my book. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/100606/beef-bulgogi/

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Hey Spoolup, thanks for a great recipe! Food looks delicious and great to hear you are loving the Skottle!

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
+1 on the Skottle fit kit for a Snow Peak IGT Table. We were discussing it in the SP thread and there is a simple wire structure that could be used that mimics once of their designs. Lots of snow peak fans around :)

https://store.snowpeak.co.jp/page/288

502_main_430x323.jpg

11571_main_430x323.jpg

Hi JamesC,

Could you elaborate a bit more about the wire structure and the Skottle connection? I read through the SP thread until I found the Skottle mentioned in the post. However, I did not quite understand how they went together. Is it to be used on the (Coming Soon) Skottle bamboo top? The SP thread has a lot of SP lingo and I may have not understood the meaning of it all. Thanks for any insights!

JamesC

Adventurer
Hi Jerry,

Loving our skottle and cook on it regularly at home and while camping.

The wire frame on the first photo sits on a 'Unit' of the Iron Grill Table (IGT) system frame. These snow peak IGT table frames are where the interchangeable pieces can be inserted like a bbq box (hibachi), gas burner or cutting board etc. The wire frame I pasted above is for one of their burners but I think we were hoping one could be offered that would instead fit the skottle. The second picture is very similar to what would work for a skottle and was made for a wok.

Here you can see their wire frame housing the snow peak Li-Burner in the same style as that we'd hope to house a skottle without it's legs instead. Hopefully this is more clear?

2012.12.8~9sYSC%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89s016.JPG

To build this we'd need the measurements for the wire frame base size that fits one unit of the IGT table and then have to create a form that supports the skottle well atop that frame.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Hi Jerry,

The wire frame on the first photo sits on a 'Unit' of the Iron Grill Table (IGT) system frame. These snow peak IGT table frames are where the interchangeable pieces can be inserted like a bbq box (hibachi), gas burner or cutting board etc. The wire frame I pasted above is for one of their burners but I think we were hoping one could be offered that would instead fit the skottle. The second picture is very similar to what would work for a skottle and was made for a wok.

Here you can see their wire frame housing the snow peak Li-Burner in the same style as that we'd hope to house a skottle without it's legs instead. Hopefully this is more clear?

To build this we'd need the measurements for the wire frame base size that fits one unit of the IGT table and then have to create a form that supports the skottle well atop that frame.

OK, that makes sense now! I will need to located a IGT table locally for measurements and adaptability etc.

harbinger808

Adventurer
exactly what James said :)

Hi Jerry,

2012.12.8~9sYSC%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89s016.JPG

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
A Question to both JamesC and Harbing808:

Being a fan of an item doing multiple jobs, I just want to better understand the need.

Why would incorporating the Skottle to work in the IGT be better than having the Skottle as a free standing device? Is it to have a more compact camping kitchen? Less items to pack? Or maybe the even wider use of a multiple use IGT table?

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I'll butt in and give my thoughts while we wait for the others :

1) wider user of the IGT table
2) counter-height cooking with easy access to additional prep surface without moving from station to station
3) common fuel arrangement - larger propane tank with use of distribution tree -among appliances (i.e. PartnerStove) so more complex meals can be prepared

Generally I don't break the my big snowpeak IGT out unless I'm cooking for a bigger group. I think the Skottle fits in well for bigger group cooking.

You'll also find that the snowpeak bunch are gear nerds and/or foodies, so why not have the Skottle in the repertoire? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears