Tent Recommendations

straightShot

Springbar

I've been looking at both the 10x10 and the 10x14 Springbar at www.Kirkhams.com. (It was either this or the Kodiak, but it's personal preference, and I got hung up on the Made in USA thing.)

It looks like these two tents have the same ceiling, but the larger one extends out 2' more on either side at the bottom. Standing in either extension area (4 feet total) wouldn't be practical, but it would add more storage and/or sleeping area + weight to the 10x10 tent plus added cost.

I will be using mine for family camping + hunting in the fall. Enough room for clothing and gear is important for me.

Good luck!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Just wanted to update with some pictures and a link to our new Campmor Outdoor Safari Ground Tents. We now have them in the country and have been using them since the Overland Expo with great success!

We have in stock the Safari Rambler which is a 7'x7' footprint: http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Safari Ground Tents/product-campmor-outdoor/317629-safari-rambler

Also in stock we have the Safari Hennie Bow which has a 8'x8' footprint: http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Sa...duct-campmor-outdoor/317638-safari-hennie-bow

And the Safari Bow Tent that has a 10'x10' footprint: http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Safari Ground Tents/product-campmor-outdoor/317648-safari-bow

We will also be stocking the Safari Bow Extension that turns the Safari Bow Tent into a small home with a screened in porch for cooking and socializing: http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Sa...t-campmor-outdoor/323189-safari-bow-extension This is a great reason to go with the Safari Bow Tent in itself if you can utilize the room!

IMG_9096-Edit.jpg

This is the Hennie Bow on our Dinner and the Desert Trip.

IMG_9092-Edit-web.jpg

My wife put the safari touch on the interior for our photo shoot:ylsmoke:

IMG_8647-Edit-web.jpg

Here Nigel Caffeine is enjoying his new Safari Hennie Bow that he bought at the Expo.

IMG_8749-Edit-web.jpg

Another view of the rain fly and awning on the Safari Hennie Bow.

IMG_8545.jpg

The quality and construction is built to withstand 60+mph winds:Wow1:

IMG_8542.jpg

Can you say way over built D rings!

If you have any questions please call or pm me!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It all depends on your budget and the type of camping you are using it for. That being said, I have 8 different tents ranging from 1 to 4 person including Coleman, Sierra Designs, Springbar, Cabela's, and a few others serving their purpose. If you just want something to sleep and change in that you are using for "car camping", just about any 3-4 person tent with aluminum poles and clip system will do the trick.

Goochm

Observer
Hmm...I've used dozens of tents over the last 45 years...IMHO no tent made today is as well-made as those of the 1970's. I've been living out of a tent (and Land Rover) for most of the last 5 years, so I guess I have a little experience in the matter.
I do agree that the mesh canopy is a problem, esp. In the SW. The best option I know is the Mtn. Hardwear Hammerhead 2 and 3...they have 2 doors and vestibules as well as zippered panels to cover the mesh.
The best deals I know of are the new tents from an old hand...those from Mountainsmith. The 2-person has 2 doors and vestibules, light weight, and 165 bucks. They also make a 4-person model for 200.00.
The biggest problem I'm seeing of late with low-priced tents are crappy zippers. I'm lucky to get six months out of a zipper today...silicone spray helps...but remember that I use a tent more in a year than most folks do in a lifetime. Hello Backpacker Magazine! Need a tester

D110

Observer
Another vote for Springbar - if you are not packing it on your back, it's hard to beat the comfort of a quality canvas tent, and their design is fantastic. Yes you have to drive in pegs around the base of the tent, but this takes me 5 minutes and from there the tent goes up as quickly or quicker as any other tent. Between the canvas and large screen openings on either side, the tent stays cool in the desert, and then zip the openings up and it's nice and warm in the mountains - best thing is no condensation dripping in the mornings, and none of the synthetic tent smell. I've been carrying a smaller dome tent with me in case I ever end up camping on solid rock, but I've never had a problem driving the stakes in.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    586.7 KB · Views: 86

barlowrs

Explorer
Another vote for Springbar - if you are not packing it on your back, it's hard to beat the comfort of a quality canvas tent, and their design is fantastic. Yes you have to drive in pegs around the base of the tent, but this takes me 5 minutes and from there the tent goes up as quickly or quicker as any other tent. Between the canvas and large screen openings on either side, the tent stays cool in the desert, and then zip the openings up and it's nice and warm in the mountains - best thing is no condensation dripping in the mornings, and none of the synthetic tent smell. I've been carrying a smaller dome tent with me in case I ever end up camping on solid rock, but I've never had a problem driving the stakes in.

Where did you get that mesh screen in front? Is it made by springbar? I wonder if it will fit my Kodiac Kanvas (I think they are the same size). I really like it!

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Net4n6
We set ours up in the living room on the wood floor too. We also figured out that they are not freestanding. But we slept in it on the floor any ways. so far it has been great and last weekend we had our first rain test.

D110

Observer
The screen room is sold by Springbar - it's a great addition as it ensures that you don't end up with that one annoying mosquito in the tent at night... plus a nice place to sit if they do come out in force. The Kodiaks are pretty similar in size so it will probably work, but I would contact Springbar and get the actual dimensions (didn't see them on the site.)

DylanT

Observer
Price Drop!

I had my tent for several decades before I thought about buying a new one. When I went shopping it was like buying a space ship - and the prices were way cheaper than I thought, even for quality.

Dylan

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
North Face Meadowland 4

I have been struggling over the same question for some time. I wanted a 3 season tent for car camping in the USA Rockies - no lower than 30 degrees F. Wanted easy setup and a very roomy "2 person".

We ended up buying a North Face Meadowland 4. So far, I have only set it up in our bedroom, but I am pretty impressed with it for our needs. Not too big, not too small.

mesha

Observer
I am a fan of MSR and big agnes tents if size and weight are a concern.

My back of the truck tent is a turbo tent turbo lite 4

for canvas tents I like Kodiak even better than springbar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears