**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

loudboy

Observer
I've been impressed with the Thermarest SoLite foam sleeping pads that I put in my Autana. I taped them down to the floor between the floor and mattress. I used to get steady water droplets under the mattress every night but since putting those pads in I've seen ZERO moisture under the mattress. Completely dry. Also, these are firm backpacking sleeping pads so they complement the foam soft mattress really well. Also, one side of the pad is reflective which I put on the metal floor side and this definitely insulates quite a bit. This all comes from a pad that is .6" thick and less than a pound so you don't have to remove bedding, sleeping bags, etc. takes up no space.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip. You don't have the anti-condensation mat at all then, right?

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
You got the 2.5 or 4.0? Stock gears? I'd say it's pretty minimal difference with or with out the tent. Worst thing I ever did was the front bumper and winch. That killed the way the Jeep drives 3 times more than the RTT ever did. As far as being "top heavy", yeah you notice the tent vs no tent, but in the real world it's a moot point. After 5 minutes you forget it's up there and honestly I can't see it effecting trail performance. I did have one issue though, I went in a parking garage and ripped a security camera off the ceiling, the Tepui held up again while the camera dangled from the wires, lol.

Good luck!

loudboy

Observer
I've been impressed with the Thermarest SoLite foam sleeping pads that I put in my Autana. I taped them down to the floor between the floor and mattress. I used to get steady water droplets under the mattress every night but since putting those pads in I've seen ZERO moisture under the mattress. Completely dry. Also, these are firm backpacking sleeping pads so they complement the foam soft mattress really well. Also, one side of the pad is reflective which I put on the metal floor side and this definitely insulates quite a bit. This all comes from a pad that is .6" thick and less than a pound so you don't have to remove bedding, sleeping bags, etc. takes up no space.

I bought two of these and used them last weekend high in the Sierras; they worked great! Way better than the expensive mat Tepui sells. I plan to get another one pad, cut it up, and velcro them to the bottom to create a complete layer of insulation.

I also used the Tepui aluminized Weatherhood. This probably kept the tent warmer, but I still woke up with condensation frozen to the inside of the tent (low temp in the mid 20's). SO MUCH CONDENSATION! SO LITTLE INSULATION! The weatherhood lays flat against the rainfly, which itself lays flat against the tent skin. No insulation layers there... Also, that weatherhood is a serious pain in the *** to fold up into the tent and deploy again. I may add grommets or velcro to keep the bastard in place.

Always open to suggestions! Thanks.

Box Rocket

I bought two of these and used them last weekend high in the Sierras; they worked great! Way better than the expensive mat Tepui sells. I plan to get another one pad, cut it up, and velcro them to the bottom to create a complete layer of insulation.

I also used the Tepui aluminized Weatherhood. This probably kept the tent warmer, but I still woke up with condensation frozen to the inside of the tent (low temp in the mid 20's). SO MUCH CONDENSATION! SO LITTLE INSULATION! The weatherhood lays flat against the rainfly, which itself lays flat against the tent skin. No insulation layers there... Also, that weatherhood is a serious pain in the *** to fold up into the tent and deploy again. I may add grommets or velcro to keep the bastard in place.

Always open to suggestions! Thanks.
The Tepui anti-condensation mat is just that, a mat to keep condensation out of the mattress. It won't eliminate condensation on the walls of the tent and it's not designed to add cushion to the mattress although it does offer a small improvement. I have seen others use sleeping pads like you mention, mainly for extra cushion, but occasionally they'll see reduced condensation as well getting to the mattress. Often the moisture is wicking to the sleeping pad instead (if it's a foam pad) of the mattress. So there can still be moisture to deal with either when closing the tent or making sure to air out the pads to avoid smelly nights. The other thing to consider with the Tepui mat which is likely more expensive than a couple foam sleeping pads is longevity. Sure, you could replace the pads a couple times before they equaled the cost of the Tepui mat, but the mat will likely outlast any other part of the tent. The mat also allows a layer of air between the mattress and floor that you can't get with a foam pad or most other sleeping pads. Without questions a pad will provide more comfort though.
As for the weatherhood.... You might try just removing it when you put the tent away and storing it in your truck. In my opinion its is so easy to put on and off that I'd rather just do that than try to close it up with the tent. The weather does lay flat against the rainfly, but the rainfly (at least the roof portion) does not lay flat against the tent canopy because of the rainfly bows that support the fly. So there is a layer of insulation there. Condensation is a problem that's hard to eliminate completely no matter what tent you have. The climate you camp in as well as the season/temps is also a big factor and can be better or worse depending on where you are.

JJMAC

Adventurer
Trying to remember if I've posted these two photo's from my most recent trips... Either way here are two photo's of a Kukenam in action!

5rl7i6w.jpg

^ Manning Park, B.C. Awesome place to check out in the winter, great snowshoeing and it's always fun driving through the snow!

yDAQ7Wh.jpg

^ Most recent trip to Nahatlatch Provincial Park, B.C. Camped at a rec site along the Natatlatch River. This was also our first trip in the "new to us" Ranger! Massive upgrade from my previous Escape!

love the simplicity of this setup!

JJMAC

Adventurer
Can someone with real experience let me know if its worth getting the ruggedized version vs the standard version? I want to get the Autana XL and am trying to decide if I should just get the regular in tan (in stock) or wait for the ruggedized to get back in stock (who knows when). Is the ruggedized worth the wait and additional price?

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
If I were to buy another it would be a ruggedized version. My standard-spec Autana is great but having climbed around one of the ruggedized versions last summer I appreciated the heavier fabric and subtle additions. I've camped in all four seasons with it and haven't found anything my standard-spec Autana cannot do that the ruggedized version could. Is it worth the $600 premium that goes with it... honestly its a stretch but not completely out to lunch. If you buy it through Adam, it will soften the blow which ever model you choose.

Box Rocket

Black Friday Sale 15-20% OFF
http://tepuitents.com/collections/black-friday-sale
Take 15-20% off our entire product line* from Friday, November 25 through Sunday, November 27. Save big on our 2017 SKY models, RuggedizedTM, Baja SeriesTM and more! If you've had your eye on one of our high quality Roof Top Tents or durable Expedition Series Gear Bags, now is the time to buy. Use discount code FRIDAY at checkout, or call 800-301-9874 for assistance in processing your order.
*Discount does not apply to Gift Cards or White Lightning Hard Shell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears