TerraLiner:12 m Globally Mobile Beach House/Class-A Crossover w 6x6 Hybrid Drivetrain

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
The energy required is the same whether it comes from the grid or from an onboard generator

The US electrical grid mix in 2014 was:

Coal = 39%
Natural gas = 27%
Nuclear = 19%
Hydropower = 6%
Other renewables = 7%
Petroleum = 1%
Other gases < 1%

Coal and natural gas power plants are probably less efficient that a modern diesel generator, although there are undoubtedly greater energy losses in producing and transporting diesel than there are with coal and gas. This is probably partially offset by grid distribution losses.

In a country like the US that generates most of its electricity from non-renewable sources, there is very little environmental or energy efficiency argument for using an electric vehicle. At least with a diesel powered vehicle you have the easy option of using 100% biofuels (biodiesel from plant oils, or diesel produced through Fischer-tropsch from waste or biomass).

Libransser

Observer
Hey! Just catching up, and still haven't read the rest of the thread yet (as you can see, I'm only up to post 2072(!!) (and bio just casually tosses out "read the whole thread" - AS IF anyone is actually going to do that...) ).

I have actually done that. Twice :victory: (in the sense that I stopped, and then I had to catch up again).

But it seems to me that the "regen braking / battery is full" issue is a bit of a red herring. You can brake an electric motor / generator by shorting the magnetic fields to act against each other.

Of course...you'll still be converting momentum to heat, so the motors will have to be able to "take the heat or get out of the kitchen".

How much more heat would be created by shorting the motor compared to only using the regenerative braking?

An electric retarder (eddie current brake) usually comes with its own fan for air cooling. Just now I'm realizing that I have never read about an electric motor needing extra cooling in a vehicle application. Am I mistaken?

I am too of the opinion that using regenerative braking while the battery is full is not a big issue because we can just dump the excess of energy into the big water tanks, using them as a big heat sink, like ShaChaGra.

"Some wind turbine generator systems are known to use some type of mechanical braking to protect the wind turbine generator from an over speed condition. For example, U.S. Pat. No. 5,506,453 utilizes the pitch of the wind turbine blades to protect the wind turbine from over speed. In particular, the blades of the wind turbine are mechanically coupled to a rotatable mechanical hub. The blades are configured so as to be rotatable about their longitudinal axis relative to the hub allowing the pitch of the turbine blades to be varied. The pitch of the blades is turned in such a way as to create braking of the wind turbine.

An horizontal wind turbine with variable pitch blades has always seemed like a good idea to me. It could allow the turbine to work in a greater range of wind speeds with good efficiency.

Speaking of wind turbine braking,
I was given a turbine formerly upon a sailboat.
Now powering my offgrid cabin. Its literature claims self regulates against overspeed by its blades flexing with centrifugal force to become pitch less effective.
Clever I thought...

Clever indeed. That removes the need for sensors, a control unit, dedicated actuators or a hydraulic system to change the blades pitch.

Is this one?

This seems to be the patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US20120141267

And a bit more about the same technology: http://www.acgreenenergy.com/Variable_Pitch_Technology.php

biotect

Designer
I'm not into truck aero, but 0.8 Cd has struck me as too high.
Accorfing to wikipedia, "typical truck" is "0.6+":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient
I see no reason why getting this level would be unachievable for Terra Liner.

I find rolling resistance surprising too, but I have no reasons to question it.

Hi safas,

Just wanted to be conservative in my assumptions, that's all. Erring on the side of caution, and all that. Finessing things to where they might be more "optimal" is really the job-description of the engineer. But very much agreed, a much better drag coefficient should be possible, and truck design currently focuses on trying to improve the Cd above all else, because it makes such a difference to fuel economy, and hence transportation costs.

Remember, at this stage I am still most interested in the very "big moves". By "big moves", I mean things like your suggestion that one of the TerraLiner's generators could be a conventional diesel, while the second generator might be a much more high-powered (but gas-guzzling) turbine. Until you came along, safas, I had just been assuming that the two generators should be the same. But thinking things through, there is no reason whatsoever why they should be identical. Your suggestion then prompted me to look up Aircraft APUs, where I found that wonderful "all-electric" high-KW-output unit created for the new Boeing Dreamliner -- see post #2101 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1973658#post1973658 .

I have almost (finally!!) finished the massive series of posts about drive-train power calculations for various scenarios, culminating with posts in which I will show just how useful a Boeing DreamLiner's APU might be, pouring out 400 KW of additional power as the TerraLiner's second, supplementary, "backup" generator. The posting series runs from #2101 on page 211 just referenced, and will end with post #2129 on page 213, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1974540#post1974540 .

Even if the TerraLiner will be large, at 12 m it still won't be as large as a Newell coach, which is about 13.72 m long. Nor will the TerraLiner be as large as many European long-haul buses, which are allowed to reach 13.5 m in most countries if they have 2 axles, and 15 m if they have three axles -- see http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/IntOrg/road/dimensions.html and http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/IntOrg/road/pdf/Coach.pdf :

Untitled-1.jpg

So I really like the idea of the TerraLiner driving and handling much more like an inter-city long-haul bus, as opposed to driving and handling like a clunky, slow-accelerating MAN TGA truck. Sure, the TerraLiner will have a super-strong torsion-free chassis, and it may be packed with lots of stuff, and weigh 22 - 24 tons. The TerraLiner will also be towing a draw-bar trailer that weighs another 8 tons, for a total road-train length of 18.75 m. But I still want those combined 32 tons to drive like a bus, and be able to accelerate and climb extended inclines like a bus, and not like a truck. So that's where your suggestion regarding an aircraft APU was brilliant: the perfect way to add a massive "boost" of power when required for climbing long inclines, without adding a great deal of weight, because the Boeing Dreamliner APU is so incredibly light. The TerraLiner needs a second, back-up generator in any case for "fail safe" redundancy. So why not a turbojet powered APU?

Now if only the Dreamliner's APU could run on diesel, or be multi-fuel just like Wrightspeed's Fulcrum turbine -- see https://www.wrightspeed.com/technology/the-fulcrum/ :

As for quick short bursts of acceleration in traffic..... I figure that if the TerraLiner were equipped with six 250 HP Wrightspeed electric motors, totaling 1500 HP (as would be possible if Wrightspeed's "Route HD" drive-train were 6x6 AWD -- see https://www.wrightspeed.com/products/the-route-hd/ ), and if the TerraLiner had a 200 KW battery pack, then the TerraLiner would be able to overtake and pass just about anything on the road at an impressive clip. After which it would then settle back into the whatever speed is required by law for buses or motorhomes.

Again, I am almost finished with that long posting series. Just give me another 2 or 3 days, and then please let me know what you think!! That posting series was partly inspired by you, and also by Iain, because I really wanted to master the use of his equations for calculating the TerraLiner drive-train's power requirements....:)

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
egn, Silverado, Libransser, nick disjunkt, and LukeH,

Very interesting stuff!! Will try to comment when I can, but as you all know, I am still trying to finish a number of unfinished posting series, series that are quite important, especially the most recent one about the TerraLiner's drive-train power requirement. But please feel free to continue posting and exchanging ideas without me!

Silverado, brief note: the aerodynamic one-off prototype truck built by Wal-Mart was a collaboration with Capstone, and has a hybrid drivetrain powered by a Capstone micro-turbine. For more information, see post #496 and #497 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1652223#post1652223 , and post #1189 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1742986#post1742986 :

The trailer is made by Great Dane, out of Carbon Fiber.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
dwh,

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU, DUDE!!

Man, to be honest, I missed you. I wondered where you'd gone. As you know, yours have been some of the truly "defining" contributions to the thread. I still have to finish an incredibly detailed series of posts on the topic of water autonomy and AWGs, a series that you inspired directly. The thread's stress on "maximum TerraLiner water and power autonomy" is the direct consequence of your very welcome prompting in this direction. Can't wait to see your reactions to all the stuff that I've produced since you last contributed.

As you know, a while back I was kinda forced to "lay down the law" regarding thread-etiquette. But the need to do so is almost inevitable on a thread like this. Things have now settled down, because I figure everyone gets the picture: on this thread, we only have time for argument and evidence. Posturing and mere rhetoric not welcome. You may have appreciated my citing you, along with egn, Joe Manigna, and many others, as some of the thread's "really big contributors". See post #1977, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1963989#post1963989 .

Will respond to the substance of your posts anon, but for now, just wanted to welcome you back!

All best,

Biotect

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
Silverado and safas,

Just a few more videos about concept trucks, some of my favorites, because they're the most thought-provoking:

[video=youtube;uLOXNqAf-x4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLOXNqAf-x4&amp;list=PLT53a1wSeVjceeCg1OVBoGssItYZgPONX [/video]
[video=youtube;XUBp7wxgbLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBp7wxgbLg&amp;list=PLB8E3F125B4072115&amp;index= 7[/video]

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

Silverado08

Observer
Yep!
It's just the storage of energy, and the re-"fuelling" that presents technical issues. Mr Musk seems to have overcome part of it.

The HUGE blocking point that remains is that at less than three dollars per charge how on earth are the fat-cats, shareholders, station attendants and all the excesive hangers-on to the oil industry going to be able to take their cut???
As so much of the economy relies on trickle down from oil sales, there is huge fear at a very high level.
Good question,
,from what I've heard, the Tesla haven't made a profit yet in all these years and survives on government subsidies and by selling carbon credits to other companies..maybe it's not such a good investment at all

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...ld-stop-selling-cars-wed-all-save-some-money/

If they cant make profit on 100.000$$ car,,how will they make it when selling cheaper one at 35K as they plan to do??

I doubt that internal combustion engine powered cars will disappear any time soon

Silverado08

Observer
The energy required is the same whether it comes from the grid or from an onboard generator

Coal = 39%
Natural gas = 27%
Nuclear = 19%
Hydropower = 6%
Other renewables = 7%
Petroleum = 1%
Other gases < 1%

Coal and natural gas power plants are probably less efficient that a modern diesel generator, although there are undoubtedly greater energy losses in producing and transporting diesel than there are with coal and gas. This is probably partially offset by grid distribution losses.

In a country like the US that generates most of its electricity from non-renewable sources, there is very little environmental or energy efficiency argument for using an electric vehicle. At least with a diesel powered vehicle you have the easy option of using 100% biofuels (biodiesel from plant oils, or diesel produced through Fischer-tropsch from waste or biomass).

I'm surprised solar energy is not included !
I see acres of solar panels in many places and roofs on so many houses..

egn

Adventurer
Coal and natural gas power plants are probably less efficient that a modern diesel generator, ...

The best coal power stations reach 47 %, the best combined-cycle gas power stations 60 %, and even the best engine driven oil power stations reach more than 50 % efficiency. This doesn't include the use of heat for other purpose. So in the end we may be better of with full electric propulsion in the vehicle, especially because we can also use renewable energy from solar, wind and water.

A vehicle on-board generator will never achieve the efficiency of this big power stations, because of smaller size. The best large truck diesel engines are using 180-190g Diesel per kWh. 180 g/kWh is equivalent to an efficiency of 47 %. You will then end at about 42-43 % electric efficiency.

But, remember that a diesel engine doesn't have its sweet spot at the point of maximum power. So the engine for an on-board generator either has to be over-sized to get best efficiency for the required charge power, or it is smaller and is then much less efficient.

As I have mentioned before, for a long-range fuel efficient vehicle, dependent on conventional fuel like the TerraLiner, it may be much more fuel efficient to use a parallel hybrid setup. The main propulsion comes from a fuel efficient large truck engine on one or both rear axles, and additional power and AWD comes from addition electric motor/generator units at the other axles. The much smaller battery can be charged indirectly through the wheels by using the motors as generators. An all-electric range of 50 km may be enough.

This setup saves a lot of space within the vehicle and gives more range with the same amount of fuel.

safas

Observer
The best coal power stations reach 47 %, the best combined-cycle gas power stations 60 %, and even the best engine driven oil power stations reach more than 50 % efficiency. This doesn't include the use of heat for other purpose. So in the end we may be better of with full electric propulsion in the vehicle, especially because we can also use renewable energy from solar, wind and water.

A vehicle on-board generator will never achieve the efficiency of this big power stations, because of smaller size. The best large truck diesel engines are using 180-190g Diesel per kWh. 180 g/kWh is equivalent to an efficiency of 47 %. You will then end at about 42-43 % electric efficiency.

But, remember that a diesel engine doesn't have its sweet spot at the point of maximum power. So the engine for an on-board generator either has to be over-sized to get best efficiency for the required charge power, or it is smaller and is then much less efficient.

As I have mentioned before, for a long-range fuel efficient vehicle, dependent on conventional fuel like the TerraLiner, it may be much more fuel efficient to use a parallel hybrid setup. The main propulsion comes from a fuel efficient large truck engine on one or both rear axles, and additional power and AWD comes from addition electric motor/generator units at the other axles. The much smaller battery can be charged indirectly through the wheels by using the motors as generators. An all-electric range of 50 km may be enough.

This setup saves a lot of space within the vehicle and gives more range with the same amount of fuel.

Don't forget that neither batteries nor electric engines have 100% efficiency. For charging, see:
https://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/charging-efficiency-0
According to Telsa, peak efficiency 92%, but users report 80% or less.
Then you have inverter. The best ones have peak efficiency of 99%. And engine. 98% peak again. But these are DC. Tesla chose AC because while it has lower peak efficiency, it's more efficient at low load. Which tells that the peaks are not achievable for Tesla. Please note however that Tesla cars have huge power-to-weight, so it runs on the low side more that a truck would.
Still, 92%*99%*98%=89%. That's an upper bound. 80%*97%*95%=74% and still looks a bit conservative to me.

LukeH

Adventurer

Coal = 39%
Natural gas = 27%
Nuclear = 19%
Hydropower = 6%
Other renewables = 7%
Petroleum = 1%
Other gases < 1%

Valid point.
So not counting losses in batteries which are the same whether the electricity comes from renewables or fossils recharging from the grid is 13% more eco friendly than running on diesel. (= 6%hydro + 7% other renewables).
Running on grown fuel has its own ecological minefield related to the actual growing and transformation of the product, as well as the famous available fertile land calculation.

For anything other than the daily commute we'll be running our 45% efficient internal combustion engines for a long time to come, that's for sure.

biotect

Designer

Hi egn,

This seems to be MAN's conclusion as well. Although MAN has developed and implemented full serial-hybrid solutions in its "Lion City" transit buses intended for stop-start travel in urban areas, like you MAN also thinks that for long-hall driving, parallel hybrid is the way to go. See the excellent interview with Frank Redwitz that I posted in full at #1905, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1959794#post1959794 . So let's just say that your view has a great deal to recommend it, and it's a view shared by an industry expert of Redwitz's stature.

When we first started discussing hybrid, I found myself sitting on the fence. I really had no opinion, one way or another, as between serial versus parallel hybrid. However, the more that I've thought about it, the more that serial hybrid seems to be the way to go, for a motorhome application in particular. After all, the TerraLiner won't be just any long-haul vehicle. Rather, the TerraLiner will be a motorhome, a motorhome of a specific kind: one that can drive into and out of a farmer's field, without getting stuck. The TerraLiner will be a "bad-road" motorhome, as Peter Thompson would put things.

1. A large, 200 KW battery pack is more or less inevitable if one wants "mostly silent" camping + powerful Air-Conditioning

Now you yourself have indicated on a number of occasions that you don't like the sound of a generator running 24/7, and this may have been one of the reasons why you opted against having Air-Conditioning for Blue Thunder...?

But let me be very direct here: a TerrraLiner without Air-Conditioning is inconceivable. It simply will not sell, and it will be dead in the water from a market point of view. It is impossible to design the TerraLiner without Air-Conditioning. Yes, I know that you personally don't need Air-Conditioning, but you are not the TerraLiner's market. Rather, the TerraLiner's market is AARCWPOMs: "Active-Adventurous Retired Couples with Plenty of Money" -- see post #1983 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1964731#post1964731 . Generally this means that the TerraLiner's customers will be over 65, which means that Air-Conditioning the TerraLiner becomes a health-and-safety issue. Even if elderly people are fit and active, over the age of 65 their nervous systems will still begin to degenerate. Which is why elderly people are much more susceptible to sun-stroke and heat-stroke, no matter how fit and healthy they might be. Over 65 our bodies become increasingly bad at regulating core temperature, which is why so many old people died during the heat-wave that hit Europe in the summer of 2003.

This is why Air-Conditioning will be absolutely mandatory for the TerraLiner, and not some kind of luxury option. If the TerraLiner is going to travel to places where the Heat-Index regularly rises above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and sometime tops 120, then Air-Conditioning will be critical, given the TerraLiner's AARCWPOMs target market.

I worked all of this out in some recent posts that you may not have read yet, because they are part of a longer posting series on TerraLiner drive-train power requirements that I am currently trying to complete. For lots of detailed arguments, evidence, graphics, and tons of links on the topic of TerraLiner Air-Conditioning, see posts #2120 to #2124, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1973835#post1973835 to http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=1974106#post1974106 .

How much Air-Conditioning are we talking about?

Well, 60,000 BTU at a bare minimum, which is the amount of Air-Conditioning that a typical Newell motorhome carries. But probably more like 100,000 BtU, or 29 KW.

In post #2124 specifically, using various precedents, I worked out that the camper-box electrical demand of the TerraLiner when stationary and glamping in a very hot/humid climate, will probably run somewhere between 70 to 100 KW per day. Yes, this is a figure that is vastly different from your estimate or 12 KW per day. But if you read those posts, you will see how I arrived at this figure, and you might find yourself agreeing that this figure is not unreasonable, given my arguments and the evidence that I cite.

I wish that I could find a figure somewhere on the Internet stating how many KW a Newell Coach might use per day when camping in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, or Florida at the height of summer, when the Heat Index often runs between 110 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit for many weeks, and sometimes goes over 120. Or I wish I could find a comparable figure for a Millennium, Liberty, Featherlite, or Marathon coach. These are all premium-luxury Class-A motorhomes that typically mount 4 Air-Conditioners, totaling 60,000 BTU. But one thing I am most definitely certain about is this: a large, 45-foot Class-A motorhome camped in Louisiana in the middle of August, with 60,000 BTU Air-Conditioners running full blast to maintain an interior temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit, will most definitely use much more than 20 KW per day. At a bare minimum, it will probably use at at least 40 KW per day, and I'd guess the figure is more nearly like 55 - 70 KW per day.

Yes, I know that all of this all sounds very "un-German". But as I argued in those posts, German intuitions about climate, Air-Conditoning, and what should be considered a "normal" level of residential power consumption, are radically different from the intuitions and expectations of North Americans, Australians, and Scandinavians. Germans are very "Green" tree-lovers who live in a comparatively moderate climate; they are energy-frugal eco-purists fanatically committed to alternative energy, covering their fields with solar installations and wind farms. In other words, Germans have become very environmentally conscious and "ethical"; but that does not necessarily mean that Germans can intuitively understand what a heat index of 100 actually feels like, let alone 120....:ylsmoke:

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

2. Why a very large generator is necessary for "mostly silent" camping

If we then take this 70 - 100 KW per day Air-Conditioning power demand as a given, the question then becomes: how to supply it?

Newell coaches will run their 20 KW generators if not round-the-clock, then at least quite a bit, and certainly every day. Solar can't supply the energy necessary, for reasons explained very clearly on the technomadia webpage at http://www.technomadia.com/2015/02/the-almost-fantasy-of-solar-powered-rv-air-conditioning/. It's a webpage well worth reading in full. So if one wants to enjoy lots of Air-Conditioning, combined with "mostly silent" camping, then the solution is simple: a big battery bank, periodically recharged by a large generator, i.e. a generator that produces more than 100 KW, combined with a large solar array (10 KW) to provide additional, supplementary power to extend the longevity of the battery bank between rechargings. And a wind-turbine thrown in, a topic that we've only just begun discussing. :sombrero:

Proterra's "extended range" battery packs can be charged in just 90 minutes (!!), so if the TerraLiner's primary generator were to produce around 200 KW, then it should be able to recharge a 200 KW Proterra battery pack in about that time, i.e. less than 2 hours. As then suggested in those posts about Air-Conditioning, even in the worst-case scenario -- even in a very demanding hot-humid climate, with a Heat Index hovering around 110 -- the TerraLiner would only need to run the generator for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours once every 3 days. And with solar and wind providing some supplementary power, the battery pack may only need recharging once every 4, 5, or 6 days. In much less challenging climates, the time between recharging events might be measured in weeks instead of days. This is what I mean by "mostly silent" camping.

Without such a system in place, the TerraLiner will have no choice but to do what American Class A motorhomes do: run a 20 KW generator for at least a few hours every day, and most probably much more than that.

3. If the TerraLiner needs a big battery pack and a big generator in any case, then why not go serial hybrid?

I then figure that given the need for a big generator and large battery bank in any case, in order to make "mostly silent, fully Air-Conditioned glamping" possible, why not go full serial hybrid? A long-haul bus or a long-haul truck of the kind discussed by Frank Redwitz in his interview is not a motorhome. It does not need to function as a stationary house, the way that the TerraLiner will have to function. So once one takes that into consideration, serial hybrid begins to look much more attractive.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179