The Alu-Cab Khaya thread, share and ask

I have read that the black is not noticeably hotter than the silver when in the sun. While they both may cool off when completely opened up, I wonder how the black does when trying to take a stealth nap during the day with the tent closed. Any experience?
Haven’t had the need to try that, dark and no ventilation. As to the color, probably not too much difference. The top is insulated with the mattress and the tent material. The sides have an airspace from the storage boxes.

Blaisedesibour

Greetings,
I have just joined the group and am already seeing some interesting ideas to upgrade my Khaya on my 2020 Ford Ranger. I have already done some modifications and am just finishing installing a Propex propane heater, just waiting for my propane guys to get the stuff to re-plumb the stove and heater together from the one tank in the side cabinet. I put a short piece of exhaust tubing into the heat output pipe and then gorilla taped it to protect the pipe because I store chairs right under it and then I covered the whole pipe with black wire loom to make it look better(no picture yet). I have also reconfigured the front mount with bolts that go down through the front cabinets, through the mounting bracket and thread into a plate bolted to the mounting bracket which makes installing and removing the Khaya MUCH easier on the Ranger with no room between the underside of the Khaya and the bed rail. 1 Question I have is does anyone know what the bolt track that is used all over the Khaya is called? I want to get some of the rubber that they cover it with to hold the wires for my back-up camera. Also any idea where to get the rubber? I have added a couple of pictures also. Any thoughts would be great. I love seeing other peoples ingenious ideas to make these awesome units even better.
Thanks for any ideas, Blaise
IMG_9497.jpgIMG_9499.jpgIMG_9807.jpgIMG_9785.jpgIMG_9813.jpgIMG_9817.jpg

Greetings,
I have just joined the group and am already seeing some interesting ideas to upgrade my Khaya on my 2020 Ford Ranger. I have already done some modifications and am just finishing installing a Propex propane heater, just waiting for my propane guys to get the stuff to re-plumb the stove and heater together from the one tank in the side cabinet. I put a short piece of exhaust tubing into the heat output pipe and then gorilla taped it to protect the pipe because I store chairs right under it and then I covered the whole pipe with black wire loom to make it look better(no picture yet). I have also reconfigured the front mount with bolts that go down through the front cabinets, through the mounting bracket and thread into a plate bolted to the mounting bracket which makes installing and removing the Khaya MUCH easier on the Ranger with no room between the underside of the Khaya and the bed rail. 1 Question I have is does anyone know what the bolt track that is used all over the Khaya is called? I want to get some of the rubber that they cover it with to hold the wires for my back-up camera. Also any idea where to get the rubber? I have added a couple of pictures also. Any thoughts would be great. I love seeing other peoples ingenious ideas to make these awesome units even better.
Thanks for any ideas, Blaise
View attachment 709416View attachment 709417View attachment 709418View attachment 709419View attachment 709420View attachment 709421

I pulled all the rubber channel doo-hickies out. You’re welcome to have some, it’s in a pile of other stuff I took off in the garage.

Have you tested the furnace yet? I’m a bit concerned it will throw a fault if it wiffs exhaust. Looks like you might have room to run the intake forward if you need too. I’d also recommend some screen wire over the exhaust and intake to keep critters out. The caps come off, I just cut a little circle of screen wire to fit down in there.

I’ve never taken our camper off and don’t really have the intention to, but sometimes it would make things easier. I’m in the middle of an interior remodel right now.

Blaisedesibour

I would love some of your discarded rubber. Might you have taken the little step bracket off the side of your camper as well? I am looking for another one of those too. I would be happy to pay you for this stuff. I can email you or call you with an address.
Thanks, Blaise

Blaisedesibour

Thanks for the reply, I just sent what I think was a PM to you. Sorry for the slow response. I also noticed how your attached the turn-buckles on the back which looks interesting. I will add a picture of how I made a hitch extension to hold the turn-buckles so I can carry our bikes on a swing out rack. I am also going to try to tow our boat up north this summer so we can camp on Mooshead Lake and have the boat to cruise the lake. I think the Ranger will handle the Khaya and the boat as well as long as I don't try to push too hard.

Attachments

• IMG_8195.JPG
    IMG_8195.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9731.jpg
    IMG_9731.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 63
Thanks for the reply, I just sent what I think was a PM to you. Sorry for the slow response. I also noticed how your attached the turn-buckles on the back which looks interesting. I will add a picture of how I made a hitch extension to hold the turn-buckles so I can carry our bikes on a swing out rack. I am also going to try to tow our boat up north this summer so we can camp on Mooshead Lake and have the boat to cruise the lake. I think the Ranger will handle the Khaya and the boat as well as long as I don't try to push too hard.

I'm sorry too, we were out a the coast for a while.

I haven't towed with the camper on and I do need to figure out a bike carrier set up, I plan on copying your homework. My turnbuckles are through bolted to the hitch, there are existing tabs that I just through bolted with two eye bolts. I considered going the direction you did but I am not a welder and I put that all together during the first lock down. I preferred the turnbuckles pulling the camper into the bed rather than down. Our camper has a slight bend at the the end from over tightening by the installer.

Curious what kind of mileage you're getting. I'm averaging 18, the drag at highway speeds is a hit, two lane roads like the PCH I can see 20 occasionally. I don't carry a boat on top, mine folds up and fits inside. I'm pretty close to 6k pounds as well. Do you have a trailer brake controller? Are the lights on the camper full functional? I was told by the installer that they wouldn't work correctly without the actuator, because of sharing the stop and turn bulb. Something like that, I ended up just taking mine off after a few hours of head scratching trying to get them right.

Blaisedesibour

As for milage, I haven't checked it, but I don't think it much different than what you are getting. The fact that the Ranger only has an 18 gallon tank was why I decided to carry extra gas. I did have a little difficulty with filling from the Jerry Can to the Ranger because of the ink fill opening. I had to turn down the plastic nozzle end on the Jerry Can spout to get it to fit in and push the inner flapper so it would take gas.
I do have the factory trailer tow option and I did finally get all the lights to work, but it was a bit of trial and error. When I got it they didn't work properly so I re arranged the wiring in the plug and that sort of worked but it also made the truck think there was a trailer connected and turn off the rear proximity alarm which sort of bugged me. I then tried a trailer connector for a truck that didn't come with the trailer tow option hoping it wouldn't turn of the alarm but it still thought there was a trailer attached. I also tried the adapters that take a three wire trailer input and have and output for separate brake and turn lights but they won't work with LED lights (you might be able to trick it by adding a small incandescent bulb to each circuit but I didn't try that). So finally I got two pairs of the male and female repair plugs from ford ($) for where the rear tail lights plug into the truck wiring harness and wired them together to make a passthrough harness that had a wire coming off for each of the specific light functions for the camper and then put a weather pac connecter on those and the Khaya wire that went to the trailer connector to connect it all together. This was the only way I could get all the lights to work and have the truck not think there was a trailer connected. I get kind of anal about making things work the way they are supposed to. If you want to try that I can try to go back and find the part numbers for the plugs ands the wiring and pin-out info for them. I can also send you one of the converters or the plug in adapter, I think I still have either of them if you would like them.
For my bike rack I used a Kuat Pivot (I welded a plate to the rack for the Khaya turnbuckles) and a Kuat Transfer 2 rack (I used the one with the universal 1 1/4" & 2" hitch because it gave a little more clearance that puts the inside bike just an inch or so away from the door and also allows the rack to flip up without hitting the back of the Khaya)
If you want more info on any of this stuff just let me know. I added a couple of pictures of the wire harnesses that I made but they don't show very well.
I hope this helps, Blaise
Photo Mar 16, 7 22 49 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 16, 7 24 14 AM.jpg

lewbrown97

This thread is amazing! I'm running a 2022 1500 Ram Rebel with a 4-sleeper Khaya I put on in February. I've run it cross-country already, and now I'm ready to change everything that didn't work for me.

I broke the water tap on the interior sink very early on. The sink also didn't drain for crap and was not sealed to the counter top. I've ripped it all out. The install of the factory water pump and heater was slipshod at best, so I'm probably going to rip the plumbing out entirely and start fresh. Getting metric fittings here is impossible anyway.

The truck has had significant upgrades to the suspension, but still needed air bags to not sag. With the bumper, winch, and rock rails, I'm probably a little over weight...

The only customization to the Khaya since I bought it was the installation of Baja Designs scene lights at the four exterior corners. I have a single 100W solar panel and a 1000aH battery. I also have the swing-out tire carrier on the back.

I look forward to looking over ya'lls mods more closely!Truck2.jpg

Have I ************** about Alu-Cab precision manufacturing lately? FFS!

I took the holy molle plates of the back years ago, never had intentions of taking the camper off the truck. I do remember they required a firm tug to get them off, the bolts had dug into the aluminum track and a few wrung off. Threw them in the corner and went on with life, a bunch lighter.

Turns out future me would end up with a fixer-upper and need a truck, so a few months ago I took the camper off for the first time. Are all the front brackets made this way? I was told when I picked up my camper, after over a year wait, that mine was the first Khaya on a US spec new Ranger. Hopefully there have been further iterations.

Of course the holy molle plates have to go back on to attach the jacks. Never in my life have I seen such poor alignment. Did I unknowingly run over these things? Got a few, and apparently enough, bolts in to get the jacks on and got the camper off finally.

Months of trips to the dump, lumber yard, gravel yard, etc doing “truck” stuff, it’s finally time to go camping again. Well, truck camping, we’ve rekindled our love of backpacking over the last few months. Today was the day they meet again.

I would recommend grinding down a 13mm wrench, give a slight bend and create a little nut cradle out of painters tape. For the hardware. Why? Why is this so dumb? It could just register with a pin and a lock ring or something. Why eight tiny bolts? Also, if you haven’t removed your Khaya yet, just throw away the bolts that mount the jacks to the camper. They are made of cheese.

The molle plates are back in the corner of the garage again but they are getting cut up before they go back on. Has anyone seen jack mounting plates without molle? At the time they were sold as “additional upgrades”.

In fairness I should remind everyone my Khaya is 4? years old now, plus a year in transit, and the stamped serial number is 11, preceded by a few zeros.

Last edited:
Few trips later in the Eastern Sierra before it gets too cold…

Finally got the molle plates back on with the help of the jack and a pipe clamp. I cut one of them so I can remount my Pelican and can still use the jacks to remove the camper.

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpeg
    IMG_5015.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Here is mView attachment 656829

I did add 3/4" plywood spacer under the rubber mat.

ine is sitting on my 2016 Silverado 1500
Didn’t give it much thought at the time you posted this, mainly cause I never considered a full size, but did you mention mounting details? I’m assuming you had to do some custom fab on the front mounts. Can you still use the turnbuckles down to the bumper?

Thanks

Accrete

Explorer
I’ve had mine now for about 18 months, it’s number 41...I’d be happy to answer any questions anyone might have.
Greetings, i'm reading the Khaya thread, my wife & i are in research mode for a rig #3 build and the Alu-Cab is top of a very short list. We are in our second van build and don't have a truck yet (pondering a 2024 Ranger Raptor or the upcoming TACO Trailhunter).

My Question > > For the Khaya, is it best on a particular size bed? It looks like it extends a foot or so beyond the more common 5ft beds and flush to the end of the 6ft. Is there a preference in the owners-circle?

And if there is anyone who is open to the idea of allowing a happy couple have a quick look-see of either the CC or K in person and you are near Las Vegas, or a morning's drive away?? we would totally drive your way :)

Cheers!
Thom

PS> We are still in van build number two, but have the bug to get a wee bit more off the beaten path, even though we've taken the PM up to the top of Lovel Canyon road north of Las Vegas (which was probably an insane thing to do!! and i wouldn't do it again!!)

Attachments

• SMPon2023_0905b.png
    SMPon2023_0905b.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior