The Alu-Cab Khaya thread, share and ask

SimplyAnAdventure

Greetings, i'm reading the Khaya thread, my wife & i are in research mode for a rig #3 build and the Alu-Cab is top of a very short list. We are in our second van build and don't have a truck yet (pondering a 2024 Ranger Raptor or the upcoming TACO Trailhunter).

My Question > > For the Khaya, is it best on a particular size bed? It looks like it extends a foot or so beyond the more common 5ft beds and flush to the end of the 6ft. Is there a preference in the owners-circle?

And if there is anyone who is open to the idea of allowing a happy couple have a quick look-see of either the CC or K in person and you are near Las Vegas, or a morning's drive away?? we would totally drive your way :)

Cheers!
Thom

PS> We are still in van build number two, but have the bug to get a wee bit more off the beaten path, even though we've taken the PM up to the top of Lovel Canyon road north of Las Vegas (which was probably an insane thing to do!! and i wouldn't do it again!!)
Hello!!

Well we sold our Khaya about 14 months ago now and it lives in CO Springs now, closer to you than I was but it’s still a bit of a drive. FWIW the family who bought it is awesome and I could reach out if you decide that’s within driving distance.

Bed length is an interesting questions. Personally I liked it on a short bed but others felt differently. Alu Cab makes both mounting systems for the Khaya.

Canopy Camper is very different so I’m not sure looking at one of those would help. Both nice campers but the Khaya’s big advantage is it’s more dust proof and you can take it off your truck in less than 30 mins as a contained unit.

I’ll tell you Alu Cab stuff is solid! And if you live in the desert SW, don’t order a freaking black one!!!!!!

Last edited:

Overland_Lyfe

Hello!!

Well we sold our Khaya about 14 months ago now and it lives in CO Springs now, closer to you than I was but it’s still a bit of a drive. FWIW the family who bought it is awesome and I could reach out if you decide that’s within driving distance.

Bed length is an interesting questions. Personally I liked it on a short bed but others felt differently. Alu Cab makes both mounting systems for the Khaya.

Canopy Camper is very different so I’m not sure looking at one of those would help. Both nice campers but the Khaya’s big advantage is it’s more dust proof and you can take it off your truck in less than 30 mins as a contained unit.

I’ll tell you Alu Can stuff is solid! And if you live in the desert SW, don’t order a freaking black one!!!!!!
I'm in the Springs with a khaya 4 sleeper. I'd love to connect with the family you sold your too and compare upgrades and trails :)

I'm on a shortbed but long bed is worth considering, as the SB ties up your hitch unless you do a custom bumper. While I don't often tow, it's nice to stick on a Uhaul trailer if needed, or have some way to get pulled out from the back if you get stuck. With the hitch holding the camper, you are very limited on recovery points...

I love the khaya and enjoy the opportunities it gives for back country exploration. Fuel Economy on Tacoma with usual upgrades is 11-14mpg so that is a consideration.

Stuart.

Attachments

• 358111514_10226972905766932_7197356117337140972_n.jpg
    358111514_10226972905766932_7197356117337140972_n.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 15
I'm in the Springs with a khaya 4 sleeper. I'd love to connect with the family you sold your too and compare upgrades and trails :)

I'm on a shortbed but long bed is worth considering, as the SB ties up your hitch unless you do a custom bumper. While I don't often tow, it's nice to stick on a Uhaul trailer if needed, or have some way to get pulled out from the back if you get stuck. With the hitch holding the camper, you are very limited on recovery points...

I love the khaya and enjoy the opportunities it gives for back country exploration. Fuel Economy on Tacoma with usual upgrades is 11-14mpg so that is a consideration.

Stuart.
It’s possible to keep your hitch available. Check out the step on your back bumper, lots of pickup bumpers are reinforced there for adding a towball, I relocated my turnbuckles there. I have a pic of it on this thread.

Ouch on the mpg, I can count on 17-19 pretty consistently.

Overland_Lyfe

Greetings, i'm reading the Khaya thread, my wife & i are in research mode for a rig #3 build and the Alu-Cab is top of a very short list. We are in our second van build and don't have a truck yet (pondering a 2024 Ranger Raptor or the upcoming TACO Trailhunter).

My Question > > For the Khaya, is it best on a particular size bed? It looks like it extends a foot or so beyond the more common 5ft beds and flush to the end of the 6ft. Is there a preference in the owners-circle?

And if there is anyone who is open to the idea of allowing a happy couple have a quick look-see of either the CC or K in person and you are near Las Vegas, or a morning's drive away?? we would totally drive your way :)

Cheers!
Thom

PS> We are still in van build number two, but have the bug to get a wee bit more off the beaten path, even though we've taken the PM up to the top of Lovel Canyon road north of Las Vegas (which was probably an insane thing to do!! and i wouldn't do it again!!)
Hi there, owner of a khaya 4 sleeper for almost a year now, so thought I'd share some thoughts. Feel free to reach out to bounce ideas off. BTW, I love my camper!

First off, truck considerations, I'm in a short bed Tacoma, this helps with departure angle clearance on some of the trails where I've rubbed the hitch in the dirt. I have the usual 3/2 Icon lift, swapped into the dobinson 800-1200 LB leaf springs and air bags for the weight of the camper. I too am waiting on more info on the Trailhunter as it has many of the upgrades I'm thinking about. Namely, I run 33" KO2's E load but still stock gearing and no Tuner upgrade. This leaves me a little sluggish on the pull away, but I can do 83 on Interstate, I'd consider regearing, but hear many lose top speed and don't really gain fuel economy, though they do get more immediate power. Fuel economy is 11-14 (miles divided by gallons, not the dash info), and compared with another khaya owner, that seems typical. If I keep my truck, I'd consider a long range fuel tank, as your safe tank distance is about 200 miles, and if you run to the end, 240 miles... that's not much margin. I'd consider the long bed so that I get my hitch use back, currently I don't have a good recovery point on the back, so with the short bed, I need to upgrade the bumper to gain recovery points, (probably weld on tie in points for the khaya so I can get use of the hitch back for the occasional uhaul trailer needs. Everything is a compromise, so decide what fits you. If I go trailhunter, I may gain fuel economy with the hybrid, interested to see stats when they publish it. I get the correct gearing for 33" tires, and I get the upgraded brakes that I may add to my current truck, however, it will be some time before long range fuel tanks come out for the trailhunter. I've also bent my rear rims twice, so upgraded to the Icon beadlocks, airing down to 25 to leave some protection, but that's probably more a factor of the rims I put on from 4WP when I first started on a tighter budget.

So the camper: I much prefer the khaya over the canopy, I like that it's more sealed than glueing on a camper, I prefer the weight going straight to the floor, not the walls of the bed, and while the top sits higher over the cab, that's a good compromise as it gives better living space inside for that extra height. The 4 sleeper is better than the 2 in my opinion, as you get the larger fridge freezer, and reasonably comfortable inside seating on cold windy wet nights, for little loss in storage. You lose the inside cooking, and the built in sink is a waste of space, I use a folding sink outside which is much easier to wash dishes with and doesn't dump water by the back door when your done. There is open space under the front storage, under the water tank, where you could mount an invertor. I installed mine in the kitchen cupboard as I wanted access from outside, but if I did it again, I would hide it under there, use a remote switch and and power outlets to where I wanted it. Incidentally, it's a 20 gallon water tank, but no way to measure your remaining amount, so you never know just how much you have left...

I installed a 135AH Dakota Lithium battery, expensive but worth it for 11 year warranty. Note, the battery monitor that the khaya ships with can't monitor lithium, so I recommend the Victron Energy BMV-712 so you can track usage. It's well worth it. I also have two solar panels on top, so battery is topped off whenever I'm parked up, so I don't worry about the power drain of the fridge freezer (I did the dometic and love it).

Two REI Co-opFlexlite Camp Boss Chair fit inside each chair storage area, with the lids down, so you don't need to deal with bulky front runner style chairs if you don't want to.

The diesel heater is excellent, though the fuel cap with built in vent leaked fuel from top of the tank. I swapped it with another khaya cap and it still leaked but threading and diameter are same as the rotopax, so I glued a cap into a rotopax threaded cap and swap them out when I use it. I ran the heater one 8 hour night in the snow, at max temp, and it went through about a third of a tank, so I was quite impressed by that. The control panel is functional but awful to work, but there are a few good youtube videos that explain the menu, far better than the instructions provided in manual.

I use a dometic chemical toilet, the 876, which fits well into the footwell of the camper, and you can buy screw down clips to secure it. The floor is plywood so readily takes the screws. While it's a little annoying having the clips in the floor, it's well worth it for the convenience of a sit down toilet that goes in it's own tent when we're camping.

Anyway, the wife is calling me to cut bread for dinner, feel free to ask anything else.

Stuart.

Last edited:

SimplyAnAdventure

Stuart.
Shoot me a PM and I’ll reach out to him see what he’s comfortable with. We talk every few days still anyway and it’s been over a year since he took delivery. Lol.

SimplyAnAdventure

Stuart.

Hey @SMAR you need a new friend?!! He’s got a KHAYA

Hi there, owner of a khaya 4 sleeper for almost a year now, so thought I'd share some thoughts. Feel free to reach out to bounce ideas off. BTW, I love my camper!

First off, truck considerations, I'm in a short bed Tacoma, this helps with departure angle clearance on some of the trails where I've rubbed the hitch in the dirt. I have the usual 3/2 Icon lift, swapped into the dobinson 800-1200 LB leaf springs and air bags for the weight of the camper. I too am waiting on more info on the Trailhunter as it has many of the upgrades I'm thinking about. Namely, I run 33" KO2's E load but still stock gearing and no Tuner upgrade. This leaves me a little sluggish on the pull away, but I can do 83 on Interstate, I'd consider regearing, but hear many lose top speed and don't really gain fuel economy, though they do get more immediate power. Fuel economy is 11-14 (miles divided by gallons, not the dash info), and compared with another khaya owner, that seems typical. If I keep my truck, I'd consider a long range fuel tank, as your safe tank distance is about 200 miles, and if you run to the end, 240 miles... that's not much margin. I'd consider the long bed so that I get my hitch use back, currently I don't have a good recovery point on the back, so with the short bed, I need to upgrade the bumper to gain recovery points, (probably weld on tie in points for the khaya so I can get use of the hitch back for the occasional uhaul trailer needs. Everything is a compromise, so decide what fits you. If I go trailhunter, I may gain fuel economy with the hybrid, interested to see stats when they publish it. I get the correct gearing for 33" tires, and I get the upgraded brakes that I may add to my current truck, however, it will be some time before long range fuel tanks come out for the trailhunter. I've also bent my rear rims twice, so upgraded to the Icon beadlocks, airing down to 25 to leave some protection, but that's probably more a factor of the rims I put on from 4WP when I first started on a tighter budget.

So the camper: I much prefer the khaya over the canopy, I like that it's more sealed than glueing on a camper, I prefer the weight going straight to the floor, not the walls of the bed, and while the top sits higher over the cab, that's a good compromise as it gives better living space inside for that extra height. The 4 sleeper is better than the 2 in my opinion, as you get the larger fridge freezer, and reasonably comfortable inside seating on cold windy wet nights, for little loss in storage. You lose the inside cooking, and the built in sink is a waste of space, I use a folding sink outside which is much easier to wash dishes with and doesn't dump water by the back door when your done. There is open space under the front storage, under the water tank, where you could mount an invertor. I installed mine in the kitchen cupboard as I wanted access from outside, but if I did it again, I would hide it under there, use a remote switch and and power outlets to where I wanted it. Incidentally, it's a 20 gallon water tank, but no way to measure your remaining amount, so you never know just how much you have left...

I installed a 135AH Dakota Lithium battery, expensive but worth it for 11 year warranty. Note, the battery monitor that the khaya ships with can't monitor lithium, so I recommend the Victron Energy BMV-712 so you can track usage. It's well worth it. I also have two solar panels on top, so battery is topped off whenever I'm parked up, so I don't worry about the power drain of the fridge freezer (I did the dometic and love it).

Two REI Co-opFlexlite Camp Boss Chair fit inside each chair storage area, with the lids down, so you don't need to deal with bulky front runner style chairs if you don't want to.

The diesel heater is excellent, though the fuel cap with built in vent leaked fuel from top of the tank. I swapped it with another khaya cap and it still leaked but threading and diameter are same as the rotopax, so I glued a cap into a rotopax threaded cap and swap them out when I use it. I ran the heater one 8 hour night in the snow, at max temp, and it went through about a third of a tank, so I was quite impressed by that. The control panel is functional but awful to work, but there are a few good youtube videos that explain the menu, far better than the instructions provided in manual.

I use a dometic chemical toilet, the 876, which fits well into the footwell of the camper, and you can buy screw down clips to secure it. The floor is plywood so readily takes the screws. While it's a little annoying having the clips in the floor, it's well worth it for the convenience of a sit down toilet that goes in it's own tent when we're camping.

Anyway, the wife is calling me to cut bread for dinner, feel free to ask anything else.

Stuart.
Welcome to Expo Overland_Lyfe

Too heavy, wrong truck. Couldn’t deal with such a short range in the SouthWest. Sorry to be so blunt but this is the reason I went with the Ranger and bought the base Khaya with no interior, no heater etc.

I’ve been frustrated with the small tank on the Ranger and my 300 mile range. Had no idea the Taco was that bad. The V6 era can’t end soon enough.

Cheers!
Thom

The Canopy camper is much more difficult to take off and on. If you see yourself needing the truck for other tasks might not be the best. I’ve wined about the Khaya removal before, not sure if it’s easier on other trucks and I’ve never owned a different slide-in.

Got my Khaya, but still pondering whether to try and put it on a Tundra, Tacoma with 6ft bed, or a Ranger. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Every Khaya I've see on a full-size truck looked absolutely awesome. Personally, I think having a little extra headroom on the payload would be awesome, so that's the way I'd go.

Got my Khaya, but still pondering whether to try and put it on a Tundra, Tacoma with 6ft bed, or a Ranger. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated?
Did you already tell us which Khaya you got? Is it fully equipped with the heater and kitchenette etc?

If you are a miser with weight any of those options can work. Also depends how often you can resupply, water is heavy. But even if you have the extra payload cap, staying light will always be an advantage in the long run.

Toyotas are expensive, and if a tiny small town in the US has a dealership, it will most likely be a Ford dealer. Perhaps add the F150 to your list, but I do appreciate the narrower Ranger in tight spots. Go for white, doesn’t show pinstripe as bad.

While I’m thinking about it, here’s a brief list of things I would do differently if starting over with the Khaya…

Ditch propane. It’s becoming more of a hassle to get filled up. Seems that gas stations that have a bulk tank never have more than one person working at a time, no one to cover the register while they fill my tiny tank that they usually short anyway. We very rarely use the heater

Wire solar in series and go for the bigger battery and inverter. Despite what the internet told me, I can use specific induction cook tops with a 100 ah battery and a 1000w inverter. I’d seriously consider one of those portable all in one things now. They’ve gotten better and cheaper.

Skip airbags, go straight to heavy springs and load range D tires.

Replace the mattress, honestly my backpacking mattress is more comfortable.

No stationary water tanks. We learned to hate NATO cans, and the leaky FrontRunner ones with the tap on the bottom, so I went with an RV tank. Then Dometic came out with their smaller tanks with the rechargeable battery powered pump. Get those instead, easy to carry and you can get your arm in there to clean them out. No plumbing no wires, carry and pump wherever you need it.

Might add more later.

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

While I’m thinking about it, here’s a brief list of things I would do differently if starting over with the Khaya…

Ditch propane. It’s becoming more of a hassle to get filled up. Seems that gas stations that have a bulk tank never have more than one person working at a time, no one to cover the register while they fill my tiny tank that they usually short anyway. We very rarely use the heater

Wire solar in series and go for the bigger battery and inverter. Despite what the internet told me, I can use specific induction cook tops with a 100 ah battery and a 1000w inverter. I’d seriously consider one of those portable all in one things now. They’ve gotten better and cheaper.

Skip airbags, go straight to heavy springs and load range D tires.

Replace the mattress, honestly my backpacking mattress is more comfortable.

No stationary water tanks. We learned to hate NATO cans, and the leaky FrontRunner ones with the tap on the bottom, so I went with an RV tank. Then Dometic came out with their smaller tanks with the rechargeable battery powered pump. Get those instead, easy to carry and you can get your arm in there to clean them out. No plumbing no wires, carry and pump wherever you need it.

Might add more later.
Good list. Add more ;)

Every Khaya I've see on a full-size truck looked absolutely awesome. Personally, I think having a little extra headroom on the payload would be awesome, so that's the way I'd go.
Are you talking about the Alu-Cab Cabin or the Khaya on a full size? I’ve never seen Khaya on an F150 and have never been able to find information on a mounting kit.

Edit: The two members on this thread with full-size trucks, a Ram and a Silverado don’t seem to be active on the site.

Last edited:

SimplyAnAdventure

Are you talking about the Alu-Cab Cabin or the Khaya on a full size? I’ve never seen Khaya on an F150 and have never been able to find information on a mounting kit.

Edit: The two members on this thread with full-size trucks, a Ram and a Silverado don’t seem to be active on the site.
AVO in Asheville did one or two a year or so ago. Probably find it on IG if you’re really interested. They pretty much stacked rubber mats to lift it up if I recall. I’m sure you could reach out to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior