The Alu-Cab Khaya thread, share and ask

martingale

Question I have for those who have a Khaya and a Toyota Tacoma. I was looking at one right (4 sleeper Khaya on a 2021 Tacoma). The setup looked good although I think the 2 sleeper with the indoor stove/sink is better. That said, I asked the owner how much weight he had added and it came to over 1600lbs, which I believe exceeds the payload of the truck. While the owner had increased the suspension and brakes, what about risk to the frame? Forgive me asking a naive questions, but is there a risk of structural issues to the truck? And given this weight, do you still air down when you off-road?

Thanks In advance.

MR E30

Question I have for those who have a Khaya and a Toyota Tacoma. I was looking at one right (4 sleeper Khaya on a 2021 Tacoma). The setup looked good although I think the 2 sleeper with the indoor stove/sink is better. That said, I asked the owner how much weight he had added and it came to over 1600lbs, which I believe exceeds the payload of the truck. While the owner had increased the suspension and brakes, what about risk to the frame? Forgive me asking a naive questions, but is there a risk of structural issues to the truck? And given this weight, do you still air down when you off-road?

Thanks In advance.

1,600 is certainly over GVWR for a 3rd Gen Tacoma. Most TRD Offroad models (the most common variant used for builds like this) have a payload of ~996 lbs, passengers included.

The frame likely doesn't care about the added weight, it's plenty resilient. There are options to upgrade your frame as well, if you really want to go that route.

A larger concern is the connection of the bed to the frame, which has been a problem for some owners with the 6' bed (DCLB or ACLB) due to the design of the front (nearest the cab) bed mount.

I think a khaya is too much for any mid-sized truck. I do run a Canopy Camper on a DCLB 3rd Gen Tacoma and I have no regrets or fears associated with the added weight. I did not need a 'slide-in' camper. I wanted to integrate my camper to the OEM bed of the truck, using that as the floor and walls. I live in my Tacoma with my wife. I like to tell people that I actually live outside, and that my truck gives me a comfortable place to sleep while carrying the things that I need to survive. If you want to try to have an all-season, all-weather camper, a mid-sized truck is a poor choice from the start.

Yes, I still air down. On 10-ply LT tires I will drop to 13 psi if needed (primarily for comfort). I do not run 1,600 lb. but closer to 1,000 (fully wet). I have done suspension and frame modifications to increase the resiliency and capacity of the overall system as well.

Last edited:

mall4lo

Here's my Khaya. Any tips on how to fill the diesel heater? Do you guys remove the contain to fill? I had a hard time filling them. Also the propane regulator it came with is not the US version so it won't fit to our propane, I have to wait for them to ship it to me.

A7C00155.jpgA7C00154.jpgA7C00135.jpg

gvb40

I don’t really have any intention of taking it off. Fortunately the wife and I commute together and we don’t really need a second vehicle. Not that we don’t use it run an errand or something every once and a while. It’s not so large that it’s unwieldy for those tasks.

We went with the Khaya because we have a teen aged daughter and needed room for a bunk downstairs. We ordered ours with no upfits, just a shell, so we could more easily reconfigure. I’ll post an inside pic when I get home... Also dust was a major concern, we have had pick-ups with shells and it was a constant struggle. May not be so for others, not in desert environments.

Weight is another reason we went with the basic package. With no options your looking at 900 lbs. With some mid size trucks on the market you’d be overweight with nothing but the shell, two Americans and a ham sandwich. The entire reason I went with the Ranger was the 1600 lb payload capacity. I have since really grown to like it, the 10 speed trans. is amazing. I did end up adding airbags to cut down on the sway but I am not sure I really needed them. I am very weight conscious, I don’t want to break stuff and don’t want it to be unruly on the trail.

Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.
Have you weighed the truck and camper. My Ranger with a Four Wheel Fleet is 400 lbs over GVWR

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Have you weighed the truck and camper. My Ranger with a Four Wheel Fleet is 400 lbs over GVWR
Just under 6000, had to weigh it to get California tags when I moved here. Mine is a base model with very few options but I’ve added interior fittings and water tank etc. Loaded for a trip I likely cross 6000, but get lighter as the days go by.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Here's my Khaya. Any tips on how to fill the diesel heater? Do you guys remove the contain to fill? I had a hard time filling them.

View attachment 823852

If the tank is not easy (and I mean SUPER easy) to remove, then I'd probably go with a squeeze bulb transfer pump or something similar. This assumes you're transferring from an intermediate vessel. (If it were me, I'd be using Kerosene in the hopes of slightly cleaner running, but if you're running diesel and need to fill that tank from a station pump, I don't know what to suggest.)

gvb40

If the tank is not easy (and I mean SUPER easy) to remove, then I'd probably go with a squeeze bulb transfer pump or something similar. This assumes you're transferring from an intermediate vessel. (If it were me, I'd be using Kerosene in the hopes of slightly cleaner running, but if you're running diesel and need to fill that tank from a station pump, I don't know what to suggest.)
Bought it at Harbor Freight. Amazon has them also.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
Does anyone know if the Khaya would fit on a 2024 Tacoma?
Probably, have you found a dealer near you? If you’re on the best coast… these guys have been helpful to me.

Not sure about the new Taco, but previous years were a bit lacking in payload capacity. A slide in camper in any midsize truck is going to be a game of priorities. Weight will always be a factor, if you want all the things it will drive like a dump truck and you will break things.

Posted ours for sale just now. Buy it before the wife talks me out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior