The DiscoDavis Discovery 3 Build Thread

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Admittedly, yes the mud slinging was misguided. However since the truck is my daily, she is usually driven with utmost care. I would agree with the mechanical sympathy logic, every once in a blue moon I do put the hammer down and run the truck a little hard, just so I can burn off a bit of the carbon deposits and keep her limber. That thought exactly is why I want to know she can do it if I needed to push her. Otherwise she has reasonable tires and a very restrained throttle operation. I do not thrash the poor girl for the sake of doing so.

Let me just note that Don himself did the deepest and worst of the mud in a later pit albeit at a slower speed, I postulate he got lucky there ;)

Ray_G

Explorer
Let me just note that Don himself did the deepest and worst of the mud in a later pit albeit at a slower speed, I postulate he got lucky there ;)

Pictures...this thread needs more pictures!
It goes without saying we all do it to our trucks, I just tend to do it a lot more with my D1 than my D3-that might be my familiarity with how to fix what I mess up though.
r-
Ray

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Pictures...this thread needs more pictures!

Your wish is my command. :)

26883649342_50db2af2a3_c.jpg

Call me crazy for focusing on the rest of the truck, but I got around to the little things again. For the last year (not kidding) my hood struts have been so weak I have had the hood fall on my head while trying to work on the engine. Not anymore. New design seems to be more stout, definitely bigger in diameter.

26909416281_51bbb5f99b_c.jpg

I still have the reflex to check every minute or so the hood isn't falling down on me, hopefully that goes away.

You meant more pictures of hood-struts, right Ray? :ylsmoke:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
The chaser you see is Drew (Volkov) following us up I-5. Poor landy :(

26883557442_1142c1003c_b.jpg

Unless he chimes in, I believe he made it home with what voltage he had left on his battery.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Drew's regulator was partially working. He would get a little over 12 up to occasionally 13v so while not right, it was enough to keep him alive for the drive home. I haven't spoken with him since to find out anything more.

Ray_G

Explorer
You meant more pictures of hood-struts, right Ray? :ylsmoke:

Actually this is pretty helpful; as my hood-struts were going out the last time I had the hood up and its on my list of things to fix at some point...now I know I should do it before I get a nervous tic!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Actually this is pretty helpful; as my hood-struts were going out the last time I had the hood up and its on my list of things to fix at some point...now I know I should do it before I get a nervous tic!

Be careful. Before you know it you'll forget the hood even supported itself. :)

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Loaner car and parts

to recap, this was my loaner for a day or two while the dealer replaced the TCCM that their wash guy flooded (presumably with a firehose). They're pretty zippy little cars, and judging by last week they're great offroad. Driving position could be way better. No where near (fullsize) disco levels. To their credit they did immediately get a new part and installed the next morning, at their expense. They were very nice about the whole thing.
26704332050_7b2f021fb7_b.jpg

Then baby came back, cleaner than usual, but running fine.
26977984825_4575971a34_b.jpg

Boxes arrived.

Got plugs from the dealer ($$$, but came gapped correctly). OEM spec is 0.9mm-1mm? Dealer said 0.89mm, RAVE says 1mm
26977889435_8fd5be3caf_b.jpg

Been meaning to get some since the ExPo article went up last year. No leaks, I managed to fuel the truck without spilling A SINGLE DROP. These are the 2015-stamped ones.
26373689033_38e7d0539b_b.jpg

The new or whatever carb-epa spout. Fill rate is still slow but not that bad actually, I will give it credit. Each can came with one so I keep a spare in the bin at home. As stated, no drips.
26944343076_f1ff035a10_b.jpg

I like these air filters. Very good. This is the vehicle spare. They stay a lot cleaner with the snorkel actually.
26372430044_9a1979a1bb_b.jpg

I get asked frequently what oil filters I like. Boom, K&N HP1014. ;)
26909357881_5b2c0a6ddd_b.jpg

Dielectric grease for electrical plugs, copper anti-seize, and this liquid electrical tape stuff (more on this later).
26909358761_a06dfa5653_b.jpg

Pad sets (EUR1098, EUR1099). I hate brake dust so time to try the Akebonos.
26944355006_c26071f6cb_b.jpg

26883612162_5a143a0cd2_b.jpg

(ROTORS GO HERE) excuse me while I find the photos of the brake rotors

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12