The DiscoDavis Discovery 3 Build Thread

Ray_G

Explorer
If they are as good as I think.
I'll be putting in an order for a set next month for my birthday gift to myself.
Alongside a possible Front runner slim line 2 full roof rack.

Why the FR over the prospeed given that they are made on the island? Don't get me wrong, my FR 1/2 rack was excellent-but loud.

A.J.M

Explorer
Cost is a big factor.
FR is £845 for full size.
PS for my glass roof is 1136. For the rack and flooring as the rack without the flooring doesn't seem very useable.
FR doesn't have that issue having lots of slats on the roof.

Plus from experience, PS don't have good powder coating. My ladder is only 2 years old and has the coating broken in 3 areas which is rusting so it's going away to get redone at a local firm. Scottish weather and a rack would need redone within 2 years which is more expensive.

Noise don't bother me. With the tyres, rack and snorkel it's loud anyway.

I can make up a cowl for the front if it gets really bad but I tend to drive at 60 on the motorway anyway.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
If they are as good as I think.
I'll be putting in an order for a set next month for my birthday gift to myself.
Alongside a possible Front runner slim line 2 full roof rack.

Report coming up soon when they arrive. If they're any bit as good as Eric and a few others say they are, you'll have a nice birthday gift :)

I like the look of the FR, and I like the weight versus a baja too (34 versus 45 kg). Wind noise has got to be pretty nuts though.

A.J.M

Explorer
Yeah. I can get them for £375 for my HSE 7 seat. Which is a decent price for 7 covers in the charcoal colour.

For the rack.
£814 is from John Craddocks for the full length and £591 for the short one.

My mate is a Bearmach trader part time. He can get the short one for £450 which is a £141 saving.
He's going to call and see about the full length, if i can get a similar saving over Craddocks price, it will be good as i have presold my old expo rack for £200. It only cost me £225 2 years ago so hardly a bank breaker.

I'll see about wind noise. Have asked Victory about his as he has one fitted to his car.

Ray_G

Explorer
It's loud. At least that was my impression from having had one fitted to my truck for a year. Intolerable, no-that's what the radio is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I had a FR on my D1. It was loud, very loud. It didn't sit flat either as it's not a full one piece bar front to back. Vibrated, shook the sunroofs. I was quite disappointed.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
I have a full FR on my D1 with optional low profile mounts and I didn't notice any difference in noise after adding it. Sits less than an inch above the rear roof.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
AJM, no worries. All the rack chat responses are useful to the discussion.

In other news I thought the M&M would have arrived on time but it appears Customs in New York or Los Angeles held it up some. No I haven't forgotten about those yet.

The disco's windscreen, which soldiered on for a full year after taking a large rock hit in Virginia and a sandstorm/rainstorm outside of Bonneville, gave up the ghost this past Sunday and spiderwebbed overnight. The cracks interestingly enough extend about 1cm per day in the heating/cooling of California summer.

27473540701_37a24c6fe9_b.jpg

The original chip/crack was "repaired" by safelite under insurance, and despite what the insurance people tell me now, I distinctly recall the glass people promising me the crack would not ever spread. Maybe the glass guy was wrong. Either way, at least it made it this long.

26937110533_6d249e9f26_b.jpg

Looks like $1200 for new Pilkington, but at least my windscreen heating element will work again, after spending the VA winter without it... :) Unfortunately this means cutting into the accessories budget, but at some point the disco will be mechanically in near-perfect shape.

Got a question for you all: since the new front diff went in, should the fluid be changed earlier than say 30k, something like a break-in cycle? Stay tuned.

A.J.M

Explorer
I've spoken to a guy in the uk who has one.
He got the wind defector on it which made it less noisy, still a touch louder than the expo but not much in it.

Still to see what my mate can do for pricing a cheaper one for though.

Doesn't your insurance cover windscreen repairs or replacements?
Mine got a chip that cracked under the first real frost of winter a couple of years ago. £80 on the excess and a new one got fitted.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I've spoken to a guy in the uk who has one.
He got the wind defector on it which made it less noisy, still a touch louder than the expo but not much in it.

oooh. I was not aware they had a wind deflector for it. Good to know.

Doesn't your insurance cover windscreen repairs or replacements?
Mine got a chip that cracked under the first real frost of winter a couple of years ago. £80 on the excess and a new one got fitted.

Yes.... they do.... but the deductible for glass is $1000, and they look harder at rates once you start making claims. For now I'll just eat that extra $200 and deal with it myself. In the future I will have my insurance set up a bit more to cover all the glass that peppers the truck, $0 deductible would be nice. ;)

For what it's worth I believe my policy covers all repairs but replacement is another story. Heard too many horror stories about safelite and all those other places that the insurance people WANT you to use.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Something did in fact arrive. From Port Elizabeth, to Johannesburg, to London, to New York, to Los Angeles, then San Francisco... stay tuned.

26943797853_60622c58d1_b.jpg

Last edited:

harbinger808

Adventurer
If you're ever in PHX, I'll give you a ride :) I have a Prospeed and hardly notice any noise. I love its low profile and overall look which his why I bought it. But, I recently bought an Alucab ShadowAwning and have realized that custom fabrication will be in order to make it work correctly. My only complaint is I wish Prospeed was more widely used by Disco3/4 owners so they would produce more accessories like FrontRunner! Frontrunner has some really useful products for their Slimline rack same as Rhino racks.
My two cents. Sorry if this too of track the OP's subject.

The Front Runner rack is a nice rack. With the T-slot track system, it's relatively easy to attach anything to it. I like the fact that Front Runner sells so many accessories, but I've had to fab a few of my own so far, and the slots really do make it easy. As long as you use M8 bolts and space them properly, it will attach to the rack.

Unfortunately, as others have noted, it's pretty noisy above 50mph. Now, I've lost my perspective a bit over the years... I've never owned a roof rack previously, so I don't have anything to compare it to and I also have a light bar up top which probably adds to the noise. That being said, when I first installed my rack, i didn't notice any real difference with the wind deflector on or off (btw, it's included with the rack... not something sold separately). It also makes the wind buffeting over the sunroof severe enough that if you opened it at highway speeds, it would probably rip the thing right out of those (already cracked) plastic tracks. :(

Would I purchase it again if I had the choice? Honestly, I don't know. I've love to ride in somebody's LR3 w/a Prospeed rack and see what the noise difference is.

A.J.M

Explorer
My mate can get the full length for £593 + vat. ( 20% ) so £711 all in. Minus £200 for selling old rack and the change over cost is £511.

The Prospeed to get to the same level is £1356.80 minus £200 so £1156.80
Then the extra cost of accessories and bits for it.
You need the flooring at £79 + vat, to make it useable to stand on. Whereas the FR and expo don't. They have plenty of side bars to stand on.

While I do have lots of the Prospeed kit on the car. It's expensive and the rack is too much for my wallet to justify over the FR.
Noise or not.

The saving covers all the accessories I will need for the FR to be ready for my needs and also for a trip next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78